Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking at 24" bull match barrel uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at 24" bull match barrel uppers

I am looking into my next build and its going to be a 24" bull barrel comp gun to have some fun with. I have found a few places that carry these type uppers. I would like to have some feedback from y'all that have experience with uppers like this, with who is best in your opinion and which to stay away from.

Thanks,
Travis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #2

T-rav,

Did you have a particular price range in mind that you would like to stay within? It would help to know a little more information like that, as you can find yourself spending anywhere from several hundred to a few thousand depending on what your requirements in components might be. The price of a barrel alone can range significantly, depending not only on the manufacturer but also options such as the type of barrel, the finish, ratio, any modifications. Other items that will have a dramatic impact on the price include the type of upper, handguards, Bolt Carrier Group assembly, piston or gas impingement, type of front/rear sight or optical platform, charging handle, just to name a few.

If you are looking for factory upper assemblies, again it would be beneficial to know what price range you have in mind. Keep in mind that within certain budgets there will be brands that might offer you more for your money. I am sure that you will get many suggestions and input from a variety of sources. Some will suggest their favorites based on their own personal experiences, others might suggest models based on what they have read or heard, while still others are actually experienced gun afficianados. I have been quietly watching and reading for a while now and have been amazed and shocked. It would also behoove you to perform a few internet searches of different AR manufacturers and product reviews. While this is far from scientific proof of the quality of a particular product, it will provide you with more information that will assist you in making a decision, and hopefully provide you with sufficient information that will help you to wade or sift through some of the less helpful suggestions. Sorry I could not be of more definitive help, but may be able to assist later on.

Snuff

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got a 20" bull from DPMS that I'm more then happy with. I've only gotten to shoot it a couple of times since I completed the build but so far its been a tack driver.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff View Post
T-rav,

Did you have a particular price range in mind that you would like to stay within? It would help to know a little more information like that, as you can find yourself spending anywhere from several hundred to a few thousand depending on what your requirements in components might be. The price of a barrel alone can range significantly, depending not only on the manufacturer but also options such as the type of barrel, the finish, ratio, any modifications. Other items that will have a dramatic impact on the price include the type of upper, handguards, Bolt Carrier Group assembly, piston or gas impingement, type of front/rear sight or optical platform, charging handle, just to name a few.

If you are looking for factory upper assemblies, again it would be beneficial to know what price range you have in mind. Keep in mind that within certain budgets there will be brands that might offer you more for your money. I am sure that you will get many suggestions and input from a variety of sources. Some will suggest their favorites based on their own personal experiences, others might suggest models based on what they have read or heard, while still others are actually experienced gun afficianados. I have been quietly watching and reading for a while now and have been amazed and shocked. It would also behoove you to perform a few internet searches of different AR manufacturers and product reviews. While this is far from scientific proof of the quality of a particular product, it will provide you with more information that will assist you in making a decision, and hopefully provide you with sufficient information that will help you to wade or sift through some of the less helpful suggestions. Sorry I could not be of more definitive help, but may be able to assist later on.

Snuff

I don't have a set budget as of yet, i know i wouldn't want to spend more than 800 on just the upper. I know that a good portion of the built will be the barrel upper bolt group choice for accuracy standpoint. I have found some upper combos that have add on choices from different sites, one of which i like is J&T distributing. I would like to achieve superb accuracy along with stainless bull barrel, bi-pod, and perform the look I want, along with the performance. I hope this helps, i know its still fairly broad, but its still in the very beginning stages of research and planning for me.

Travis

Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can vouch for J and T Distributing. I have one of their bull barrel uppers on my AR and it has been superb so far. 10 shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Their customer service is good and prompt, and they use quality components for their assemblies. Barrels are either made by ER Shaw or Wilson Combat. Check out the AR picture thread, page 29, post #285 for an idea of what their standard varmint and target upper comes out. I paid 504.00 for it shipped to my front door. I can throw a picture of it in this post for you if you would like. I'm proud of it.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #6

White Oak Arms.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Liked 3704 Times on 1826 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

J&S out of Olympia, WA

Picked up a 22" free float upper complete with carrier group, bolt and charging handle.

Slapped in on my bushy lower, added a riser mount from YHM and scoped her up.

It averages .5 MOA at 100 and holds sub 2" groups at 300.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 AM   #8

Travis,

You can spend quite a bit under the $800 you mentioned and have a very capable and accurate upper. J & T (who is the same company as Doublestar) manufactures some very nice bull barrel uppers that use E.R.Shaw or Wilson for their barrels. A close friend of mine, who also spotted for me, purchased one of their bull barrels for a build that he did. It was also a 24 inch, fluted, came with the swivel stud (which he mounted a Harris bipod on), and with the standard free float handguards. He did use someone else's bolt carrier group (Young Manufacturing), mounted a Nikon ProStaff 4-10x40 scope in a Burris mount, all on top of a Sabre Defence lower. The lower utilized a Geissele SSA trigger group, Ergo ambi-grip, and Magpul PRS stock. Using Black Hills 69gr V-max or Hornady Tap 75gr, he could consistently poke clover patterns at 100 yards, and more often than not, was still MOA at 500 yards. Not too bad for an upper that he purchased for around $400 at the time. Of course he did add more to it, but it was a very good platform to build on, and one that I would not hesitate to try for myself.

Snuff

Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #9

Should I try and get the higher twist ratio in looking at barrels. Right now I have found a number of 1:10 and one 1:14, from different suppliers from j&t distributing to model 1 sales. I am leaning towards the 1:14 ratio. I want the hand guard that is bare without any rails on it with a mount for a bi-pod, can someone tell me the name of this setup so I will be informed. I am newbie when it comes to this stuff for the most part, mainly when customizing a platform. I am just trying to clarify and learn more about the uppers before I buy a certain upper. If you can help inform me some, or need more information to make more sense of what I am going for would really appreciate it.

Travis

Last edited by t-rav; 02-14-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1:14 is a really slow twist rate and will work best for stabilizing really light weight bullets. That would be an ideal set up for something used solely as a varmint gun. The handguard setup that you are referring to is simply a sling swivel stud or a bipod stud, same thing. I think they are installed by the manufacturer for around 15.00$.

Personally I have the 1:8 twist bull barrel from J and T without the bipod stud. I shoot 69gr bullets which are somewhat overkill forr shooting squirrels, but I can also shoot metal silhouettes out to 600 meters.