Longer heavier 223 ammo will it fit?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Longer heavier 223 ammo will it fit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Longer heavier 223 ammo will it fit?

This may be a dumb question, but i have been thinking about trying out some different ammo, in my ar, i only have a 1in9 twist barrell now but im considering a new weapon (more on that later) with a 1in8 and for that barrell i have found some considerably heavier loads, 75gr 77gr ect, and from my very limited knowledge of reloading i know those bullets are heavier because they are much longer. My question is, do the longer heavier bullets effect tho overall case length tha much? will fit in standard ar-15 magizines, or are they only designed for bolt guns ?

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2860 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The longer bullets are seated deeper in the case to maintain the proper OAL (Over All Length). The throat of a bolt gun will determinie the length it will accept but they generally have the same magazine dimensions as an AR.

Because you have to seat a heavy bullet deep, you lose some powder capacity.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks Robo.

hey as long as were on this general subject. what is the difference between .222 .223 .224 and .227 .22 caliber bullets on bullet makers websites? if they are all .22 cal whats the difference besides bullet weight?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2860 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 254

.224 bullets are the proper diameter for a .223/5.56mm. The bullet should be .001" larger than bore size to insure a good grip on the rifling.

.222 and .223 bullets are for .22 Hornets

I have never seen a .227 diameter bullet.

Looked it up- .227 is for the .22 Savage High Power.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 07-08-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
This may be a dumb question, but i have been thinking about trying out some different ammo, in my ar, i only have a 1in9 twist barrell now but im considering a new weapon (more on that later) with a 1in8 and for that barrell i have found some considerably heavier loads, 75gr 77gr ect, and from my very limited knowledge of reloading i know those bullets are heavier because they are much longer. My question is, do the longer heavier bullets effect tho overall case length tha much? will fit in standard ar-15 magizines, or are they only designed for bolt guns ?

thanks
Bullet weights exceeding 77gr. are loaded to an OAL of 2.34 to 2.55". These are the 80 gr. loads and they should NOT be seated deeper. These bullets will also NOT fit in the AR magazine and must be loaded singly. They are used exclusively for long range competitions. 77gr. bullets have a max OAL of 2.26'".
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks RL

i did some "research" for myself, and even though RL already said it, from what i have read the 77gr bullet is the biggest bullet that can be seated to fit an ar-15 mag

The info i have says that the 77gr bullets are some of the best bulkets for long range competition out of ar's, with quite a few people claiming MOA all the way out to 5 and 6 hundred yards.

The info also stated that if one could seat the bullet so that it touched the lans, accuracy would improve somewhat.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
thanks RL

i did some "research" for myself, and even though RL already said it, from what i have read the 77gr bullet is the biggest bullet that can be seated to fit an ar-15 mag

The info i have says that the 77gr bullets are some of the best bulkets for long range competition out of ar's, with quite a few people claiming MOA all the way out to 5 and 6 hundred yards.

The info also stated that if one could seat the bullet so that it touched the lans, accuracy would improve somewhat.
YW Hot Sauce. Seating bullets out to just contact the lands is a standard routine with competitive shooters. You must be a reloader to do this as it requires seating bullets to a specific depth for a specific rifle, since all rifles have variances in their chambers' leade. It can be accomplished at home by coating a bullet with "spotting" compound" or even a magic marker, and chambering the round. Looking at the bullet carefully will reveal where contact is made and where the rifling starts, and to what depth to seat your bullets.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-09-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #8

I thought I would also mention that you cannot seat the bullits deeper becuase it will put the pressure way up and is more likely to blow out the side of the case. Not good for you or your rifle. I'm not sure if you can get the bullet right off the lands on an AR or not, I only load plinking rounds for mine. Save the accuracy for my bolt gun. You can still get great accuracy out of your AR with standard length. If your in the right ballpark area it is more important that they are all the same length. Consistency is the key to accuracy, if the every round is not exactly the same you can't expect them to perform exactly the same. It may make little difference inside 100 yards, but if you want to got out to 500, every detail will matter in staying in that MOA