Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   long range ar15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/long-range-ar15-30922/)

Flat Tire 08-26-2010 07:41 PM

long range ar15

I want to change my bushmaster m4 into more of a long range rifle. What barrel do you suggest, bullet weight, etc. And with the barrel I think I would need a new forearm, gas tube ???

CHLChris 08-26-2010 08:36 PM

I am absolutely not the one to answer your question. But may I help you add to your detail? In terms of long distance, you asked about bullet weight. Is your purpose long-distance tack driving on paper targets? Or do you want to be able to kill something on the other end?

I'm assuming that could change the answers you may receive from those more knowledgeable than I.

Dillinger 08-26-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Tire (Post 338881)
I want to change my bushmaster m4 into more of a long range rifle. What barrel do you suggest, bullet weight, etc. And with the barrel I think I would need a new forearm, gas tube ???

We need a bit more to go on.

What, to YOU, is long range? You and I might have very different thoughts on distance.

What are you wanting the system to do and the range you are looking to shoot?

A varmint gun, one you are shooting ground squirrels or ground hogs, at 500 yards, is going to be a completely different build than a competition paper puncher at 300 yards for a "long range" across the course type of gun.

And have you thought about just getting a dedicated upper instead of rebuilding the whole thing?

Squirrel_Slayer 08-27-2010 11:08 PM

A completely new assembled upper may be the easiest way to go. I may be mistaken, but I believe most match grade stainless barrels are going to set you back somewhere in the three hundred dollar range and you can easily purchase an entire new upper for 500.00 with a 24" stainless bull barrel already on there. Just food for thought.

Txhillbilly 08-28-2010 02:12 AM

What caliber do you want to shoot long range? There are alot of different calibers available for an AR nowadays,and 223 wouldn't be my 1st choice for a so called long range rifle.

Like J.D. said,just buy a complete upper instead of changing what you have.It will probably be cheaper in the long run anyway.

CHLChris 08-28-2010 03:54 AM

And switching out uppers takes almost no time at all.

Another reason is that only one lower is registered to the government, but you have multiple platforms. On paper that sounds so paranoid. I didn't quite mean it that way, but it is what it is.

Dillinger 08-28-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 339835)

Like J.D. said,just buy a complete upper instead of changing what you have.It will probably be cheaper in the long run anyway.

My Ninja! *respect* :p

Quentin 08-28-2010 04:52 AM

I think a new upper is a great idea but one warning:

a new upper tends to regenerate a new lower! :p

Catfish 08-28-2010 07:57 PM

If your going with a .223 upper get one with a 1 in 7 or a 1 in 8 twist. If it`s for hunting the 75 gr. Hornady HP would be my bullet of choice. If it`s for target the 77 or 80 gr. Sierra`s would be alittle better. A heavy barrel for bench shooting and a liter barrel for a carry gun. If you are close to I have a RR heavy barrel upper that shoots real good, but I never shoot it because I use my AR`s for hunting and the gun will weight 16 lbs. befor you put the clip in, just no fun to carry.

hunter Joe 08-28-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 339919)
I think a new upper is a great idea but one warning:

a new upper tends to regenerate a new lower! :p

Ain't that the truth. Where does it end?