Loads for .243 AR ?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Loads for .243 AR ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 199 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Default Loads for .243 AR ?

Anyone out there reload for an AR in .243 ? Curious as to what others have used. I bought some 87 grain Hornady V-Max for prairie dogs and will get some 90 grain Noslers (Accubond) for deer and antelope before fall. Though the 87 grain V-MAX start slower than the 58 and 65 gr. ones I thought they would be more accurate than the stubby lightweights and would simplify learning the drop if I shot similar weight bullets. I've loaded them with IMR-4064 and H-4895 to try out tomorrow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #2

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would see what the rifle does with factory ammo. Lots of people who reload never shoot factory ammo for a baseline. They just buy a bunch of brass and start cranking out ammo.

A friend has never shot a factory bullet from his Howa 300 mag. With a scope his 300 mag is just a little more accurate than my 91/30 (3" at 100 yards). He burns about a pound of powder every weekend still searching for a load that is as accurate as a box of factory ammo. This has been going on for a couple years. I am sure he has fun working up his loads and he has a beautiful place to shoot. But he would shoot better with factory ammo.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would see what the rifle does with factory ammo. Lots of people who reload never shoot factory ammo for a baseline. They just buy a bunch of brass and start cranking out ammo.

A friend has never shot a factory bullet from his Howa 300 mag. With a scope his 300 mag is just a little more accurate than my 91/30 (3" at 100 yards). He burns about a pound of powder every weekend still searching for a load that is as accurate as a box of factory ammo. This has been going on for a couple years. I am sure he has fun working up his loads and he has a beautiful place to shoot. But he would shoot better with factory ammo.
hmmmm.............my Marlin XS7VH in 308 has never had one factory loaded round through it yet. everything has been loaded by me personally and it shoots some pretty tight groups with most loads i have worked up for it. using different powders and different bullets and weights of bullets.

most all of my rifles shoot my handloads with greater accuracy that any factory ammo.

so either i am very lucky and more fortunate, or possibly you might need to rethink your comments.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 AM   #4

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
hmmmm.............my Marlin XS7VH in 308 has never had one factory loaded round through it yet. everything has been loaded by me personally and it shoots some pretty tight groups with most loads i have worked up for it. using different powders and different bullets and weights of bullets.

most all of my rifles shoot my handloads with greater accuracy that any factory ammo.

so either i am very lucky and more fortunate, or possibly you might need to rethink your comments.
There is no way to be polite about this. You need to stop looking for fault in everything I say. You are anonymous and can be a jerk without me punching you in the face. That is why you are here, to be jerk without being beat down.

All I did was relay my friends mistakes with reloading. I see the same thing happening at IDPA and ZSA matches. Guys show up with ammo that will not function. It happens to someone at every match.

My 270 will shoot a sub 1" group with plain old winchester soft point ammo. I can hit a 3" sticker target every time just leaning on a tree. How much better are your handloads? Can you shoot that rifle without it clamped down on a bench? My 91/30 consistently shoots 3" groups with steel case barnual ammo. The 91/30 has never seen a bench. The closest the 91/30 has been to a bench is a forked stick. I really doubt you can do that with your Remlin.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
There is no way to be polite about this. You need to stop looking for fault in everything I say. You are anonymous and can be a jerk without me punching you in the face. That is why you are here, to be jerk without being beat down.

All I did was relay my friends mistakes with reloading. I see the same thing happening at IDPA and ZSA matches. Guys show up with ammo that will not function. It happens to someone at every match.

My 270 will shoot a sub 1" group with plain old winchester soft point ammo. I can hit a 3" sticker target every time just leaning on a tree. How much better are your handloads? Can you shoot that rifle without it clamped down on a bench? My 91/30 consistently shoots 3" groups with steel case barnual ammo. The 91/30 has never seen a bench. The closest the 91/30 has been to a bench is a forked stick. I really doubt you can do that with your Remlin.
a bit touchy JD! temper, temper! surely you aren't threatening me with physical violence over my opinions and experiances with my rifles and handloads? i was simply expressing my viewpoints as well. have you thought about going to anger management therapy?

i have no idea as to what type of reloader your friend is or how precise he is wih his reloading techniques. i know quite a few people who get very accurate loads that they reload. my father has been doing it with handlloads in his rifles for over 50 years. as a matter of fact, he hasn't bought any factory ammo other than 9mm in probably about the same length of time.

BTW, the Marlin is a bench gun and not a hunting rifle. my goal has always been about producing very, very small groups. i strive for accuracy out of all my firearms. why settle for 3" groups when you can achieve 1/4" groups if work up the right load?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #6

Liked 199 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 123

The only time I've ever bought factory loads was for the purpose of having the brass for loading. I've had a lot of firearms that have never seen a factory round. As soon as the gun is purchased, dies and brass are next, if I don't already reload for that caliber. I did try to get a box of factory .243 to have something to shoot right away, but was unsuccessful. I tried 6 big stores in a 400 mile stretch when I went back home to central Montana last week. Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Scheel's and several independent stores that have almost as much ammo and reloading supplies as the big guys. They had a dozen different types of .223, 6.8 SPC, .30 Rem. AR and everything else you can think of, but not a single box of .243 at any of them. I'm glad I reload at times like this.
Factories make some great ammo these days, but it has to work well in many, many types and brands of firearms. No way could it ever match how I can tune loads for my individual gun, unless W-W, Black Hills Ammunition, etc. sent a guy to my house to work up a custom load just for me.
I had a guy who is a member here and on perfectunion.com who I've had some words with in the past send me a p.m. with a thinly veiled threat because I told him he should lighten up. He routinely brags in his posts about how much of a badass he is, and he has a " it's my way or the highway" attitude, always telling members that their gear selection sucks and why his is better. My experience is that fellow veterans that were even halfway "badass" don't ever brag about it. I merely told him that a lot of us have "been there done that", not just him, and that perhaps he should give an occasional compliment along with the criticism, and not talk to everyone like they're a total noob. His reaction was to tell me that he KILLED PEOPLE for a living, WITH A FREAKING M240 DUDE, and I'd better hope we never met in person. The more he goes off the handle with comments like that, the more I think he's probably a 15 year old living in his parents basement playing Call of Duty 14 hours a day. He sounds more like that than a disciplined warrior and I question that someone with that temperament should have guns laying around.
Not saying you are like that at all John_Deer, but I have found your replies to be a bit "unorthodox". Maybe your friend with the Howa .300 has something in his reloading or shooting technique that needs some attention. Maybe the Howa has a bad barrel or he just isn't that great of a shot. He'd have to be really lucky to find a type of factory loads that shot better than hand loads. I was asking about other's reloading experience for a gas operated .243 and you tell me I should be shooting factory ammo ??
Some people have fun reloading and burning up powder, besides the cost savings and better performance, there is the satisfaction of making your own ammo.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I use the 70gr TNT with 38.5 grains of IMR 4064 with good results