Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lightweight Vs Non LW Uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lightweight Vs Non LW Uppers

So I'm doing my first AR build and I decided I want a BCM Upper to go with the BCG I have. They have :

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw.htm

In stock right now. So I was wondering what the difference is between this LW Upper and lets say :

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Also what are the pros/cons, aside from the obvious that the LW is lighter? Thanks guys and I'll be starting a build thread soon with more questions !

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Dude, between those two, it doesn't even make sense to get the lower option. Look closely at the barrels. They are both lw profile under the handguards where most of the bending or flexing will occur. Then it gets wide again, in front of the gas block. Sure a little weight in front will help tame muzzle rise a bit, but it also make the gun heavier in the worst possible place, making it harder to swing, steady and carry.

I think another difference is that the gas block on the pencil profile is .625, and the other is .750. It doesn't matter, short of a jack hammer you not getting a BCM pinned gas block off.

Get the pencil profile. You won't regret it.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #3

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

I agree with AT, in fact I have BCM's LW midlength upper and love it. Never been sorry I went with their pencil barrel.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.