Light Strikes on brand new AR in 1st Mag

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Light Strikes on brand new AR in 1st Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 404 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

Default Light Strikes on brand new AR in 1st Mag

I just bought a very very nice AR15 all ultra hi end parts.

It was supposed to be a demo piece for a shop but someone blemished the Vltor-Mur Upper on the thing the forward assist sits in and so they couldnt use it as a demo.

Got a screaming deal as a result on a AR that otherwise would have been unaffordable to me.

The lower is a Seekins Precision 223 SP223.

The rifle was unfired

During the first magazine I got multiple failure to fire.
First 3 rounds went w/o a hitch.
Then the next 10 attempted shots were failure to fire.

I checked if the bolt was fully in battery and that stuff since as a new gun I thought at first, maybe it was short cycling , but it wasnt...... as most rounds simply had a light strike indentation.

near the end of the 1st mag the gun started working a little.
And during the 2nd mag it took off and worked perfect.

I followed it up with another 3 mags w/o any problems (20 rds per 30 rd mag)

I had not brought any more ammo than that, as I wanted to focus on zero and then maybe a little break in.

Rifle got a basic clean/lube by me before I took it to the range.

When I got the weak hammer strikes , at first I thought maybe they had a softer trigger spring kit in there and its too light for my ammo (Federal 5.56 mm M193F)...?

But then the problem suddenly stopped occuring....
The bolt and BCG are Black Rain Nickel Boron..BTW, not sure it matters.

Weird. any thoughts?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 01-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Just needed a little break in time? Give it a good cleaning and shoot some more . I would shoot a few hundred rounds without cleaning to determine it I would be able to depend on proper functioning. Also,Protrusion of the FP out the bolt face with it bottomed out against the back side of the bolt should be .032 to .037

Last edited by csaw44; 01-12-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #3

Liked 2403 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Possibly too much oil in the firing pin channel?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Possibly too much oil in the firing pin channel?
Csaw and Doc:

That would explain the symptoms because the oil would be blown out after a while.
I dont think I oiled it real heavy tho (albeit heavier than many others do)
Something in the firing pin channel is what I was thinking.

I successfully Zeroed my Irons and once i have a Optic on it will zero that was well.
During my next zero process I will get more data points if it was just a blocked channel or break in issue or something else.

Thanks fellas!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

csaw44 Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Let's see some pics of that bad boy! I love the SP223 lower. My latest build is built on one.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #6

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Sounds like it worked it self out of it's own problem. I was gonna suggest, that those new parts had to wear themself's in from such tight fit. Use good Oil, and have at it.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Bluez,

One thing you might not be aware of is that any round that has been chambered in an AR Rifle will and should have a slight indentation in the primer of the round chambered. That is perfectly normal. Also there should not be any break in period on an AR Rifle. They should work out of the box if lubricated properly. Also grease should not be used on them. Only a good quality lubricant like Breakfree, G-96 or other good lube. Rem Oil is not recommended for the AR Rifle. It is great lube for the right weapon or fishing reel but will cook off if the rifle gets hot during shooting a lot of rounds. My main thought was what ammunition are you using? Are the reloads? Also when this occurs is the hammer in the fired position or cocked back? Give us some more details if you can. The Bolt Carrier Group should just look damp. When I put a little lube on the firing pin while cleaning I wipe the lube on and then take a dry patch and wipe off all excess so there is no visible lube on it. Ammunition as previously stated would be my first suspicion on your issue since you advised the bolt is going completely into battery. Try some good quality ammunition like Federal, American Eagle, Winchester, Black Hills for example. Let us know about the hammer position!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6014 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

What are you using for a trigger pack??

Some folks especially gunshop "experts" will clip or bend the hammer springs trying to get a lighter trigger pull. Leads to light strikes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Try using stock Fire Control group and try out heavier buffer like H2.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #10

Thanks for all the input guys!

Let me answer you guys in order of comments:

-Texas: will do
- Triumph, That is kinda my hope
- Sniper: You'r right I totally forgot about the chambering indent! I did use Hoppes Gun Oil.. I also have EWL and others but i wanted to use up my Hoppes first. I did not wipe the pin after oiling.
I dont think its the Ammo. I made sure for break in i had full powered Federal 5.56 M193
-Jon: Thing is I dont know what the trigger pack is.. when I bought the gun on the strenght on its parts and back story ( shops showroom model) .. I dont know if the trigger back is stock, or a lighter JP spring or what...
-Okdonk, why heavier? ( it currently has a carbine weight) , why not lighter?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512