lets talk steel case ammo - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

lets talk steel case ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Forgot to mention what in turn happens when a proper seal doesn't happen win steel case is that the lost pressure may cause rifles not to cycle properly

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

steel cased stuff in non-chromed chambers can lead to difficut or failure to extract issues. chromed chambered firearms normally have no issues with it.

as far as increased wear goes, you will ruin the barrel through shooting long before steel cases will cause any issues. the bolt will need replacing due to normal pressure eroision and stress fracturing long before the steel cases will wear an extractor out. so yes steel is slightly harsher but you would long exceed any reasonable round count for bolt and barrel replacement before that occurs whether your shooting steel or brass.

the only realistic issue steel has is the terrible qc and horrid weight variences of powder charge and bullet weights
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #13

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Wolf is one of my favorite brands of ammo, Dad and I have run it through his AR for years with zero malfunctions.

Tula is beyond filthy, I run it in my handguns but its just too dirty to run in rifles in my opinion. The 7.62x39 is anyway.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #14

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Never had any problems with my M&P sport and it has about 1000 rounds of steel through it and it doesn't come standard with a chromed barrel. I do notice that's its not accurate and its way dirtier

Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #15

Liked 289 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I have run about 50,000 rounds of Wolf through my 3 rifles (even back in the laquer coated rounds) and have no more problems per 1000 rounds than with brass, and a significant percentage was bumpfired. The only people I hear of having gripes with it are the ones who have the bottom of the barrel AR's. It is a little dirtier than some brands, but not enough to lose sleep over. I just spray it off after shooting, lube the BCG, and call it a day. I only spend 5-10 minutes cleaning after shooting them. If you want someone elses opinion, ask Quentin. He shoots steel too.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1193 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I have run about 50,000 rounds of Wolf through my 3 rifles (even back in the laquer coated rounds) and have no more problems per 1000 rounds than with brass, and a significant percentage was bumpfired. The only people I hear of having gripes with it are the ones who have the bottom of the barrel AR's. It is a little dirtier than some brands, but not enough to lose sleep over. I just spray it off after shooting, lube the BCG, and call it a day. I only spend 5-10 minutes cleaning after shooting them. If you want someone elses opinion, ask Quentin. He shoots steel too.
Pretty hard to argue with those numbers! Steelcase for the win. If you can knock off 10 cents a round for practice or plinking, why not.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
locutus Likes This 
Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #17

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I dont shoot it because its dirty and inaccurate on top of being cheap communist garbage. To each their own.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #18

Liked 1316 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I have run about 50,000 rounds of Wolf through my 3 rifles (even back in the laquer coated rounds) and have no more problems per 1000 rounds than with brass, and a significant percentage was bumpfired. The only people I hear of having gripes with it are the ones who have the bottom of the barrel AR's.
My DPMS loves Wolf, so does my home built PSA, aka Homeboy. Everytime Fleet Farm puts WPA, Wolf, etc, on sale I grab a few boxes.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i found the wolf steel stuff a bit more accurate than the federal xm193...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #20

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

The added benefit for me since Im a reloader is the brass. Even if I have to pay an extra buck or two for quality brass cased ammo. Its worth it.