lets talk steel case ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > lets talk steel case ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Default lets talk steel case ammo

Hey all, I did a search and saw some information regarding steel case ammo. I was wondering what was the AR platform owners opinion on this ammo. Namely Wolf, since they seem to be the ones manufacturing the most. It seems cheap, but I was wondering about,

-Corrosive Is it corrosive? Is this bad in an AR, and can it be remedied by cleaning after the range?

-Are steel casings bad for the gun, like on the ejectors, etc?

Any knowledge (not opinion) on this subject is welcome and appreciated, as I'm planning to buy some ammo for practice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Hey all, I did a search and saw some information regarding steel case ammo. I was wondering what was the AR platform owners opinion on this ammo. Namely Wolf, since they seem to be the ones manufacturing the most. It seems cheap, but I was wondering about,

-Corrosive Is it corrosive? NO Is this bad in an AR, NO and can it be remedied by cleaning after the range? Not a issue with non corrosive ammo

-Are steel casings bad for the gun, No , like anything else guns parts do wear and they will wear a little faster with steel ammo but your talking about a $12 ejector so dont let that bother you like on the ejectors, etc?

Any knowledge (not opinion) on this subject is welcome and appreciated, as I'm planning to buy some ammo for practice.
See above . Now I dont recommend going out and buying 1000 rds of anything until your sure your gun will eat it . This is with any ammo , not just steel .
Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Thanks purehavoc! How can I become a supporting member of this site? You guys have been patient and downright helpful with me, and my questions. Never felt scared to ask away, and you guys haven't failed me yet. Did I mention, I BOUGHT A COLT! Feel the need to contribute!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Go to my account and on the bottom click on premium membership.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #5

Looks like im going to have to set up a paypal account. I'm a little old fashioned for my age...Anyone take checks?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Looks like im going to have to set up a paypal account. I'm a little old fashioned for my age...Anyone take checks?
Noooooo don't use them anti gunners! I'm pretty sure you can use a check card. Or PM notdku and see if he will take a check.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Yes there is a way to pay with a check or MO just not sure how, I remember reading it when I was signing up
Contact notdku he will help you get this done

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-31-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm am by no means an expert on steel case or want have you. But what I'll say is not my knowledge but what I've learned about steel case ammo in the AR. First I suggest videos and posts like such here. A specific thing I was told to look for on spent case of steel case is the rim of it(such as, is there a large gouge or deep mark on it) and if so it could be caused from not enough pressure from case while in chamber. Being that brass is more flexible than steel and expands more in chamber to create a better seal when fired. That was what I found to be the most important to look for. Also I learned that the problem which caused the gouged on case rim happened more often with shorter barrels. Like say 18 or shorter. But as the earlier post said, start with maybe buying 100rds or so. And another thing I learned is that in some cases a is that over time steel cases may wear out ejector faster(but agin not in all instances). So have stated that it can wear out your feed ramps? And last is steel cases are and can be more likely to stick in chamber with prolonged sessions while using steel case at range. Me personally I've shot very little steel case ammo my self. Not so much that it didn't work better but I

Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 858 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
I personally have had nothing but trouble with Pay-Pal! Use your own card when ever possible!!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbailnick
I'm am by no means an expert on steel case or want have you. But what I'll say is not my knowledge but what I've learned about steel case ammo in the AR. First I suggest videos and posts like such here. A specific thing I was told to look for on spent case of steel case is the rim of it(such as, is there a large gouge or deep mark on it) and if so it could be caused from not enough pressure from case while in chamber. Being that brass is more flexible than steel and expands more in chamber to create a better seal when fired. That was what I found to be the most important to look for. Also I learned that the problem which caused the gouged on case rim happened more often with shorter barrels. Like say 18 or shorter. But as the earlier post said, start with maybe buying 100rds or so. And another thing I learned is that in some cases a is that over time steel cases may wear out ejector faster(but agin not in all instances). So have stated that it can wear out your feed ramps? And last is steel cases are and can be more likely to stick in chamber with prolonged sessions while using steel case at range. Me personally I've shot very little steel case ammo my self. Not so much that it didn't work better but I
I forgot to mention what happens in turn when steel case doesn't create a good seal in chamber. When fired gas pressure lost can mean bolt carrier could not cycle properly