Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   lets talk steel case ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-talk-steel-case-ammo-69320/)

Mosin 07-31-2012 02:41 PM

lets talk steel case ammo
 
Hey all, I did a search and saw some information regarding steel case ammo. I was wondering what was the AR platform owners opinion on this ammo. Namely Wolf, since they seem to be the ones manufacturing the most. It seems cheap, but I was wondering about,

-Corrosive Is it corrosive? Is this bad in an AR, and can it be remedied by cleaning after the range?

-Are steel casings bad for the gun, like on the ejectors, etc?

Any knowledge (not opinion) on this subject is welcome and appreciated, as I'm planning to buy some ammo for practice.

purehavoc 07-31-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 888144)
Hey all, I did a search and saw some information regarding steel case ammo. I was wondering what was the AR platform owners opinion on this ammo. Namely Wolf, since they seem to be the ones manufacturing the most. It seems cheap, but I was wondering about,

-Corrosive Is it corrosive? NO Is this bad in an AR, NO and can it be remedied by cleaning after the range? Not a issue with non corrosive ammo

-Are steel casings bad for the gun, No , like anything else guns parts do wear and they will wear a little faster with steel ammo but your talking about a $12 ejector so dont let that bother you like on the ejectors, etc?

Any knowledge (not opinion) on this subject is welcome and appreciated, as I'm planning to buy some ammo for practice.

See above :). Now I dont recommend going out and buying 1000 rds of anything until your sure your gun will eat it . This is with any ammo , not just steel .

Mosin 07-31-2012 03:17 PM

Thanks purehavoc! How can I become a supporting member of this site? You guys have been patient and downright helpful with me, and my questions. Never felt scared to ask away, and you guys haven't failed me yet. Did I mention, I BOUGHT A COLT! :D Feel the need to contribute!

silverado113 07-31-2012 03:20 PM

Go to my account and on the bottom click on premium membership.

Mosin 07-31-2012 05:08 PM

Looks like im going to have to set up a paypal account. I'm a little old fashioned for my age...Anyone take checks?

silverado113 07-31-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 888248)
Looks like im going to have to set up a paypal account. I'm a little old fashioned for my age...Anyone take checks?

Noooooo don't use them anti gunners! I'm pretty sure you can use a check card. Or PM notdku and see if he will take a check.

purehavoc 07-31-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 888248)
Looks like im going to have to set up a paypal account. I'm a little old fashioned for my age...Anyone take checks?

Yes there is a way to pay with a check or MO just not sure how, I remember reading it when I was signing up
Contact notdku he will help you get this done

lilbailnick 08-01-2012 03:42 AM

I'm am by no means an expert on steel case or want have you. But what I'll say is not my knowledge but what I've learned about steel case ammo in the AR. First I suggest videos and posts like such here. A specific thing I was told to look for on spent case of steel case is the rim of it(such as, is there a large gouge or deep mark on it) and if so it could be caused from not enough pressure from case while in chamber. Being that brass is more flexible than steel and expands more in chamber to create a better seal when fired. That was what I found to be the most important to look for. Also I learned that the problem which caused the gouged on case rim happened more often with shorter barrels. Like say 18 or shorter. But as the earlier post said, start with maybe buying 100rds or so. And another thing I learned is that in some cases a is that over time steel cases may wear out ejector faster(but agin not in all instances). So have stated that it can wear out your feed ramps? And last is steel cases are and can be more likely to stick in chamber with prolonged sessions while using steel case at range. Me personally I've shot very little steel case ammo my self. Not so much that it didn't work better but I

Pasquanel 08-01-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 888248)
Looks like im going to have to set up a paypal account. I'm a little old fashioned for my age...Anyone take checks?

I personally have had nothing but trouble with Pay-Pal! Use your own card when ever possible!!

lilbailnick 08-01-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbailnick
I'm am by no means an expert on steel case or want have you. But what I'll say is not my knowledge but what I've learned about steel case ammo in the AR. First I suggest videos and posts like such here. A specific thing I was told to look for on spent case of steel case is the rim of it(such as, is there a large gouge or deep mark on it) and if so it could be caused from not enough pressure from case while in chamber. Being that brass is more flexible than steel and expands more in chamber to create a better seal when fired. That was what I found to be the most important to look for. Also I learned that the problem which caused the gouged on case rim happened more often with shorter barrels. Like say 18 or shorter. But as the earlier post said, start with maybe buying 100rds or so. And another thing I learned is that in some cases a is that over time steel cases may wear out ejector faster(but agin not in all instances). So have stated that it can wear out your feed ramps? And last is steel cases are and can be more likely to stick in chamber with prolonged sessions while using steel case at range. Me personally I've shot very little steel case ammo my self. Not so much that it didn't work better but I

I forgot to mention what happens in turn when steel case doesn't create a good seal in chamber. When fired gas pressure lost can mean bolt carrier could not cycle properly


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.