Lets just say i was thinking ACOG...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lets just say i was thinking ACOG...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default Lets just say i was thinking ACOG...

If I were to get an ACOG for one of my rifles, should I put it on a flat top or does the FSB even show through at all? I'm worried that the FSB may inhibit my view field. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5661 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

my bravo company light weight middy. i run an acog with fixed front sight base

the sight post is just a very light grey blur in the lower portion of the optic. 4x is the point a which it really starts to disapear. 5-6x and its totally gone. it doesnt bother me at all.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2732 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The FSB is too close to your field of vision to interfere enough to worry about. Unless you are using a low mounted high end piece of glass and shooting long range for extreme precision you will never notice the difference.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
my bravo company light weight middy. i run an acog with fixed front sight base

the sight post is just a very light grey blur in the lower portion of the optic. 4x is the point a which it really starts to disapear. 5-6x and its totally gone. it doesnt bother me at all.
Any suggestions on what to look for and what to forget? This being my first ACOG purchase I'm in uncharted territory. I'm thinking 800m or at least 600m and red chevron. Will me being left eye dominant and shooting right handed affect anything?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Honestly, for the price of an ACOG, I'd give serious considerations to a very nice 1-6 or 1-8.

But they do looks so bad@ss.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Any suggestions on what to look for and what to forget? This being my first ACOG purchase I'm in uncharted territory. I'm thinking 800m or at least 600m and red chevron. Will me being left eye dominant and shooting right handed affect anything?
being left dominate MIGHT help with the acog since your dominate eye is going to be clear of the optic and your nondom will be superimposing the chevron on fast movers.

600m is max effective for a 556/223 much beyound that and it drops subsonic loses a lot of accuracy in the translation to subsonic and hits like a 22lr at that distance.

my pref is for the green reticle since it shows up better in dim and bright light than red does. i think the green is easier to pick out on greenish background than red is as well. im no acog expert only had it for a couple of months.

an acog is NOT a precision optic for precision shooting. it is war implement to get fast hits on man sized tarets at long rang. if your looking for an optic thats going to help you make cloverleafs in bullet holes do as tikki suggests. im shopping for a nice AR scope to compliment the acog.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you can afford an ACOG and you want a quality optic, don't let "experts" talk you into skimping and settling on lesser. Most of the internet warriors haven't experienced more than an Air-Soft version anyway.

Get rid of the FSB, or don't buy a fixed scope. There's no reason to dim expensive, quality optics with a now useless FSB. You can't co-witness through a scope. You're likely going to have to get rid of the rear sight to get the eye relief necessary for an ACOG. You're not going to take that optic off if you have a bad day anyways. Unless you are planning to smash it to pieces with a rock that happens to be handy to get rid of it. Or carry wrenches, or negate the weight savings with even more metal on a QD block, etc.

If what you want are backup sights for piece of mind (see my BCM Recce-16 below), then I recommend just getting rid of the FSB, rear sight and getting the BUIS option on the ACOG. I'll post some pics so you can see how they pair up.

The red chevron is a not an 800m reticle. But then again, the 5.56 is not an 800M rifle... The TA-XXX series reticles are more suited for longer distances. I also have a Trijicon 10X AccuPoint with Triangle reticle on my FNAR. It is not a precision shooting reticle by any means. I am more accurate with the 4X ACOG and TA01NSN reticle.

I still don't think a layman is going to be hammering tacks at 300M, 400M and certainly NOT at 800M with it. But then again, most people who think they are going to routinely shoot an AR with low power optics at those distances are disillusioned.

Hey Jon, that's a good looking, sensible rifle you got there. That looks like another vote for BCM to me...

You cannot see the fine hair BDC reticle in this pic, but it is their. As is an ample amount of amber luminescence lighting up the reticle in the dark.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oh, and here are some images from zeroing in the BCM Recci-16 and ACOG with a squeeze bag.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ive got the larue rco qd mount installed its SUBSTANTIALLY lighter than the stock mount the acog came with and it holds zero very very well. ive since replaced the MI iron buis with a matech and i HIGHLY recommend that sight. its stable, the range adjuster actually works, and it sits under the acog.

i did drop my rifle fumpbling around with a couple weeks ago from about shoulder height onto the concrete basement floor it landed upside down on the acog and bounced a couple times. i was horrified. no scratches or dents!! just some bits of floor on the fiber protector wings. shot it the following weekend no zero shift. i do NOT recomend trying that on purpose!!

personally i like the fixed fsb because its got a very solid bayonet lug and its not going to get knocked loose or broke easily. a blow that will knock a properly pinned fsb out of wack is likley to bend the barrel. if your doing that your realllllly doing something wrong.

the fsb ghost image is in the bottom 1/4 of the reticle below the stadia lines on the reticle and doesnt interfere at all with the BDC portion. ive tried taking pics of it but i suck at photography through an optic.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #10

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
... personally i like the fixed fsb because its got a very solid bayonet lug and its not going to get knocked loose or broke easily. a blow that will knock a properly pinned fsb out of wack is likley to bend the barrel. if your doing that your realllllly doing something wrong...
I agree. I like a standard FSB for its strength and its reliability as a gas block. It just doesn't get in my way with a RDS or 4x scope so there's no way I'm going to replace them. And even if for some reason you do want it gone, it can be cut down to a low profile gas block.

My first AR build (ArmaLite) has a clamped on railed gas block that I chose for its flexibility but it didn't take long to discover I could leave the removable but fixed (not flip down) sight on and forget it. So I then knew I could go with the tried but true FSB on the next two builds.

To me a flip up rear sight makes a lot of sense but isn't necessary for the front.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.