Let's End The AR BS! - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
I'm sure either would be good. I've built on DPMS uppers with no issues. The other is probably a CMT, again good. Here's another option:

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html

Free shipping, too.

Seriously, any of these would be good. The M4 feedramps are nice, but may necessitate you getting a barrel with M4 ramps, too.

Slo
what's everyone's opinion on M4 feedramps?
i heard it does help but is not necesarry

Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #52

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default M4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
what's everyone's opinion on M4 feedramps?
i heard it does help but is not necesarry
The M4 feed ramps were originally designed to facilitate smoother and more reliable feeding for the M4 under select or auto fire. Whether or not they actually accomplished this is still up for debate. Whether or not it is something you need on yours, is still up for debate, too. Can't hurt.

Slo

Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #53

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

What I want to know is why are all AR $1200+ this is a rifle that is very simple to build yet everyone who builds them thinks they are worth their weight in gold?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #54

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What I want to know is why are all AR $1200+ this is a rifle that is very simple to build yet everyone who builds them thinks they are worth their weight in gold?
That was kind of my reason for starting this thread. I am building one currently, and I am going to be really surprised if I have $1200 in by the end, and that is with all top notch parts and a Krieger barrel.

For some reason, somebody out there said "You can't have a good AR if you don't spent $1200/$1500" and everybody believed him. With a few tools, and little know how, you can build one hell of a good weapon for a lot less money...

Then again, maybe I should keep this info to myself and start producing the "Dillinger" Edition AR's....

JD

Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #55

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's just it though. There are too many folks out there who are swayed by the majority (Kool-Aid Drinkers Anonymous) to believe that you have to have a Brand "A" or you are just a poser. Then you have the ones who read the manufacturers advertisement and take it as Gospel truth, specially with MOA results. So you better buy one of those, too. If they were to put most models side by side, in the same setting (environment, wind, lighting, etc.) using the same ammo, the same trigger pull and technique, the same optics, and all the models sighted in the same way, it would be really eye opening to see the results. Sure there will be different results depending on barrel twist, type of rifling, and trigger assembly. But for the most part, they will be pretty darn close. Worth the $12-1800 versus $6-700?? That depends on the shooter and his bank account. Will one be more reliable than the other? Not necessarily. You can put quality components into a kit build and end up with totally reliable SHTF gun that will go bang every time and with good results. It all depends on how you put it together and with what pieces. They don't all have to be name brand or Mil-Spec to produce good results. Nor do they have to have a horse, deer, cat, or snake on the side. You can buy lowers with no stamps or even have whatever you want laser-etched on the side. The logo makes no difference. It's all in the total package and how all the components work together. And that is something that you can control in a kit build. That is something that the AR offers more than any other design out there, the ability to change just about any piece on the gun...yourself. And you can do it...for less than $1200.

Slo

Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #56

I am getting an upper and lower to make a complete AR 15. I want to hear some peoples opinions about this.

What do you think is the better lower for the price out of these listed.
http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/63321_DPMS_Rifles_Shotguns_DPMS_Firearms__Lower_Re ce.aspx

http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/44242_Bushmaster_Rifles_Shotguns_Bushmaster__AR-15_Fully_Assembled_Lower_Receiver_w.aspx

What do you think is the better upper?

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1016.htm 405

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=258&cat=164

I am just making sure that out of all the combinations I listed none of them is carbine right? I don't want one of those.

What do you people think?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #57

Lupo - Of the combinations you have selected, you have the startings of a fine AR either way.

Personally, I would prefer the DPMS, just because of the name and the resale ability of same, plus their Q/A ( in my opinion ) has been a little better the past few years.

Availability may be an issue, so keep in mind that you are buying parts that are in a bit higher demand at the moment. The only true part you need to worry about getting "On The Books" is the lower receiver.

In MOST States, once you legally own the lower receiver, you will be allowed to build the rest of the weapon into a full, working platform should things change and we get an anti-gunner in the Oval Office. Kalifornia, NY, NJ, Conn - those are some States you might want to check into before spending your hard earned money.

Both the lowers you linked are "rifle" versions, with a fixed A2 style stock, however you linked 16" barrels, which is the minimum standard length, so know what you are getting prior to purchase.

On any choice for your upper, keep a couple of things in mind. You barrel is going to be chambered for a certain type of round. For example, the DPMS is chambered for 5.56NATO - What this means is that your best overall accuracy is going to be with that specific round dimensions. In the case of a 5.56 NATO chamber, you will be able to run civilian .223 through it, but you shouldn't make a practice of reversing the process and running 5.56 through a .223 Chamber due to chamber pressure.

There are those that will tell you it's okay, and not to worry about it, however the conventional wisdom is not to do it. Again, know what you are buying.

In addition, for your upper receiver, any time you see a "Chrome Lined" barrel, you aren't getting the best for accuracy as this is really meant for sustained fire in a Full Auto configuration. There is nothing wrong with the barrel, and it will serve you for a long time I am sure. Coupled with it only being 16" - you aren't going to be shooting dimes at a 1,000 yards - forewarned is forearmed.

As an overview, I don't think there is anything wrong with the choices you have researched and believe either platform will serve you well in the years to come if you do your part and take care of the gear you purchase.

JD

Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #58

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lupo...

Here's another link to check out...

http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=123

Note that some give you options, to allow you to upgrade to whatever suits your needs. Pay attention though, because some do not include the bolt carrier assembly.

Between the two uppers you listed, you wouldn't go wrong with either. Del-ton uses Wilson barrels in most of their uppers, the same that Rock River uses in theirs. DPMS is also a good way to go, but you might want to check availability. Most of the sites I go to that sell them state they are on "back-order" right now. You can also get Bushmaster uppers to match one of those lowers you had listed, too.

Like JD stated, the name brands will probably bring higher re-sale or trade-in down the road if you wanted to, and a larger Customer Service dept, too. But I have ordered from Del-ton with no problems and they have great customer service, too.

Good luck on your new piece.

Slo

Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #59

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hey slo/JD or anyone else that can help

if i were to buy a 14.5" barrel could i just tack on a long compensator/flash hider to make it legal?
i was going to (in the far future probably) get a supressor for it but for now is it possible for me to just put on a longer compensator/flash hider to make it legal?

btw i'll have some pics on the progress of my AR-15 by this week end

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #60

Junho - If you buy a shorter barrel, you would need to have a flash hider or barrel shroud tacked in place to make it legal ( past the 16" minimum ). You would need to make sure it can not be threaded on or off, but is a permanent part of the barrel assembly to remain on the BATF's good side.

As for future applications - I am not a Class III guy, so there are much better sources here. All the Class III work we do is, probably, 95% LEO or Military.

I am still under the impression that if you have the proper paperwork for the silencer/supressor, you are able to have the shorter barrel length to go with it. If they approve you for the supressor, they are going to probably approve you for the short barrel as well.

You might have to file both together, or perhaps pay a separate tax stamp for the Short Barreled Rifle, but I do not see the BATFE giving you a green light on a supressor, but not on the SBR.

Check with the Class III guys though - they do this stuff a lot more than we do.

JD

Newest Threads