You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #321
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3638 Times on 2123 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by relichound View Post
One advantage to an ar Frankenstein built home brew is if you do all the work you reasonably should know how to replace any part .im working on my 5th and I've become quite good at it , but had every sort of issue in the books , but it's all a learning curve , my last build was a freaking tack driver , I'd advise doing a couple home. Builds make mistakes in the end it makes you a come out with the ability to fix as you go and have the ability to replace parts as you see fit , buy the cheep crap parts it will help to learn what can go wrong .
If you are really into AR's and have the time and resources to do so this is the BEST advise I have seen here.
I have been using and working on the AR platform, both military and civilian, since 1968 and it has been my observation that even the 'cheapest' AR's which were constructed properly (no inherent problems) have performed fine for most of those owners who have bought them for civilian uses, to include SD. However if I were going to 'WAR' (again) I would like to be more selective in the purchase/building of my weapon.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #322

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 651

Two more days and this thread will have it's sixth birthday. Everyone grab your party favors
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #323
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3638 Times on 2123 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Two more days and this thread will have it's sixth birthday. Everyone grab your party favors
And AR's are still going strong!!!!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #324

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts

I started out with a Stag Model 6 because I wanted something with improved reach and respectable accuracy. Paid about $950 a number of years back for the shebang, and am pleased on all levels. I then made a decision; I figured I could only shoot one rifle at a time, and the Stag lower was a fine enough foundation to proliferate a little with additional uppers. The 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee and the fact that Stag is already a leading producer of individual AR parts to other makers sealed their part of the deal. I handload and can occasionally best that guarantee. The rifle carries a Mueller 8-32x44 scope and makes the extra magnifications very useable.

When the NY SAFE Act stomped its unwelcome way into our midst, the lower was 'improved' to include the Thordsen SAFE Compliant stock.

I seconded the motion with a CMMG 16 Bull WASP upper; still no complaints. It made for an accurate pair of options. This rifle carries a Bushnell 223 AR Drop Zone 3-12x40 scope and puts 55-62gr ammo as close as I'd want out to 250yd, well enough so that I'd be willing to trust it rather a bit further.

However, the above two rifle setups are HEAVY, and I wanted something added that was a bit more Run-n-Gunworthy

Therefore, I recently decided and built a 'bare bones' lower cost free float Upper based around a Stag NY SAFE legitimized M4 Barrel. All told, this option cost $438 to build for myself, and I added a Vortex SPARC. It's still a virgin, and I am hoping to get free from the home and try it out ASAP.

This combination is quite adequately wieldy.

Greg

Last edited by glangelius; 08-04-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #325

Liked 127 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default It Does Matter Who Makes The AR-15

Look. An AR platform is an AR platform is an AR platform. It does not matter WHO makes your platform as long as the upper and the lower match up in a nice, friendly and relatively tight tolerance sort of way.
If you after World Record type groups, then yes, every part matters. But, if you are after an AR that is going to fire everytime, hit what you are aiming at ( within reason ) and be a solid & reliable piece of kit - the upper and lower manufacturer shouldn't be your shopping criteria.

I agree with you for the most part, I get what you are saying, but it does matter who makes the gun. When I was in the Army/NG, the best M-16's were always Colt, the worst were always GM & others.

I had a Colt M4 NIB condition, issued to me in the NG. I performed a torture test once, and it was after marksmanship qualification.
I fired about 8-10, 30 round magazines on rock & roll. The gun was smoking when I finished, it was too hot to handle. The gun was ready for more, and not 1 jam, nothing. And that is my new standard to go by.

It is true that there are excellent AR's which are put together from contract parts. But, I will bet you, that there are some lousy ones put together that same way. Caveat emptor baby!

Old 09-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #326

Update on the 'virgin', it's no longer a virgin. First outing got five rounds to cycle properly, after which it became a manually operated rifle. Hmph!

The problem turned out to be an unseated gas block, which could only be accessed properly after heating the Loctite'd threading on the free float tube. Needless to say, I realigned and retightened the gas block set screws with a passion.

The rifle is ready for its second outing this coming week. It's still a bargain. I could have built it lighter, but I plan to put it to a bunch of use, so I hedged my bet on the side of 'moderately sturdier'.

The initial outing tells me the rifle should have some good accuracy potential.

I think this supports the decision to use a NY State-legal Stag barrel; the kind they put on their model 3G's. IMHO, the barrel is the heart of the rifle, and the origin of its accuracy potential. I think the Stoner design is pretty well developed to thrive, no matter whose hands it's being built by/from. but also that if you are cutting corners, the barrel is the last place to do so.

While I followed the directions in a book and applied various forms of Loctite in the process, I would also recommend their applications to be sparing and judicious. A little is enough.

I would also suggest that while starting with stripped upper and lowers can be educational, buying a good complete lower and/or upper is just so much easier; and that any cost savings are probably imaginary, given the minor stress and aggravation of fiddling with the small parts.

Greg

Last edited by glangelius; 09-30-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #327

Well, the results are in, and the new upper is a great shooter.

Using Federal Fusion 62gr bonded ammo, I sighted in the rifle on a bench, off a rest and rear bag at 70yd, or at about the distance most deer hunting shots are taken in this locale.

The Vortex SPARC had its 2x magnifier screwed on, and groups demonstrated touching bullet holes for an estimated sub MOA grouping potential.

I am very contented with this project's conclusion, and it may not be my last. I just need to find another realistic purpose for another dedicated upper. One thing is certain; I am thrilled with the performance of the Stag Arms barrel.

The next goal of this project is to practice rapid, close grouping double taps from unsupported positions, intending to hedge the bet on using this AR setup as a deer hunting option. I figure using 6" visible POI targets would emphasize getting those shots into the vitals zone on demand. Even the nicest shooting rifle is going to fail at its task if the operator lacks the skills to employ it effectively.

This rifle is an experiment in constructor capability, as well as a basic concept of keeping it simple and clean. The 16.1" barrel is nicely complemented by the 15" quad rail ventilated free float tube, leaving only about the last inch of the muzzle clear of the tube. I think this best ensures that the barrel will not be interfered with in its operation, preserving better overall accuracy. The rails are clear except for a(n included) pedestal Mounted Vortex SPARC with its (included) 2x magnifier threaded on back, along with the newer Caldwell Pic Rail Brass Catcher.

This last item employs a dedicated fixed mounting base on the rail, and is the best AR Brass catcher I have tried to date. It slides sideways onto its mount and operates with no observable interference with the rest of the firearm's features. Easy access to the ejection port is provided by simply sliding the catcher sideways off its mount, eliminating my last concern about employing a brass catcher on my AR. It fits on any Pic rail, and may find application on some other of my rifles. All any other Pic Rail equipped rifle would need is its own Pic Rail mounting adapter, which can be obtained separately.

Every Upper part but the STAG Barrel was purchased from Amazon Prime, including the SPARC and the Brass Catcher.

The Stag Lower has been modified in accordance with the NY SAFE Act provisions in the form of a Thordsen rear stock. When I first put this item on, my first thoughts were that legislators make amazing gun designers. Later I also found that Thordsen does a really nice job of making those design specs tolerable. Lacking a pistol grip or even a means to mount a muzzle device does not make for a clunky or aggravating resulting firearm. I think this concoction operates nicely to do what I have always expected an AR to accomplish, and I particularly like the way mine gets its job done.

Greg Langelius

Last edited by glangelius; 10-05-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Biohazard2 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #328

The worst thing about a standard trigger is the long lock time. Seems like an eternity from trigger break to detonation. A aftermarket trigger, SSA-E, has a lighter and faster hammer. Goes bang much faster. Mil spec triggers IMO are like shooting a flint lock. Some don't mind as much as I do.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #329

Liked 1323 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 2276

The idea is a safety trigger. Less chance people will keep their finger on the trigger and accidentally squeeze a bit too much.
More travel and harder break equals safety.
Sad but true. In a bench gun of course you want a few ounces. Or in my Weatherbys etc but semi auto it is a little extra insurance.
A lot of people don't notice or caare about trigger pull they really want it to go brrrrrrrrrr.
We conentrate on getting the did nt pass illegal Hughes Amendment off the books we can all afford to go brrrrrrrr.
Simple solution is a drop in trigger assembly with fine trigger.
Triumphman Likes This