Let's End The AR BS! - Page 32
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Lower Tier AR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
From what I have seen, DPMS has some good AR's as well,but the lower end models not so much so. If you buy a $600 gun be prepared to spend$600 more.
Absolutely spot on. You get what you pay for. With scopes they say "buy once, cry one" The same is true with AR's. I have several AR's including Colt, LMT, Noveske, BCM, POF and RRA. None have ever given me a single problem and eat anything I feed them.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #312

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnev View Post
Absolutely spot on. You get what you pay for. With scopes they say "buy once, cry one" The same is true with AR's. I have several AR's including Colt, LMT, Noveske, BCM, POF and RRA. None have ever given me a single problem and eat anything I feed them.
Can't afford the brands you mentioned, so I build my own.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #313

Quote:

Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #314

Quote:
Damn, double posted. !@#$%^&*

Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #315

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Quality AR builds.

Quote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with building your own as long a you use quality components. A quality built home brew can be just as reliable and shoot as well as any of the brands I mentioned. However I have seen to many AR's built by individuals that use cheap components and wonder why the guns do not perform or fail prematurely.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #316

Quote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with building your own as long a you use quality components. A quality built home brew can be just as reliable and shoot as well as any of the brands I mentioned. However I have seen to many AR's built by individuals that use cheap components and wonder why the guns do not perform or fail prematurely.
Ok; here is what I use: Doublestar LPK's and small parts, SOTA barrels, and the furniture is Magpul. The piston system is TNW. I sometimes use DPMS receivers, just not their small parts. I use a barrel nut alignment tool I got from Brownells a few years back, and a home made tool with a laser in the cradle of a removable carry handle to line up the front sight post so mechanical zero will put the shooter on the paper on the first shot (in the silhouette if he is using proper marksmanship techniques). The AR's I build will fire new brass, reloads, steel cased Russian ammo, and blanks without fail. Never had any of my builds need a forward assist, even the DI ones, but it is usually cheaper to get the upper with one on it than without. Most complaints I hear from shooters with regard to malfunction are due to builders/manufacturers having a DILLIGAS attitude toward barrel installation. If you take the upper off the lower, remove the bolt and firing pin from the carrier, hold the upper so the flash hider is pointing straight up, and slide the carrier into the upper, it should be very hard if not impossible to tell when the gas tube contacts the gas key. If the barrel nut is contacting the tube, it is pushing the tube one way or another on the key, creating a gas leak. When 2 or more people can shoot the same rifle on mechanical zero and are almost off the paper, then the barrel itself wasn't aligned before the nut was tight. There isn't much play when the barrel sits in the notch of the receiver, but there is some, less than 1 millimeter. That 1 millimeter can equal about 2 inches at 25 yards. These details are what separate the Tier 1 manufacturers from the rest, and that is why you will pay $1200 or so for one unless you get them in the right circumstance. Sure, you can get a DPMS Oracle for $500 or so, and spend another 5-6 hundred to get it right, but why? I guess it is a good thing I know how to build my own. Wow, I really got on my soap box on that one.

Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #317

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

One advantage to an ar Frankenstein built home brew is if you do all the work you reasonably should know how to replace any part .im working on my 5th and I've become quite good at it , but had every sort of issue in the books , but it's all a learning curve , my last build was a freaking tack driver , I'd advise doing a couple home. Builds make mistakes in the end it makes you a come out with the ability to fix as you go and have the ability to replace parts as you see fit , buy the cheep crap parts it will help to learn what can go wrong .

liberal idealists wont be satisfied till we all are disarmed ,de-balled ,vegetarian crying commies ,,,,,,,, me 2011

Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #318

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Let's End The AR BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Okay. Are we done f***ing around?! Let's get down to the bottom line for members of the real world.

Look. An AR platform is an AR platform is an AR platform. It does not matter WHO makes your platform as long as the upper and the lower match up in a nice, friendly and relatively tight tolerance sort of way. If you after World Record type groups, then yes, every part matters. But, if you are after an AR that is going to fire everytime, hit what you are aiming at ( within reason ) and be a solid & reliable piece of kit - the upper and lower manufacturer shouldn't be your shopping criteria.

Most manufacturers of AR parts put out a "package rifle". That package, unless you are buying one like the examples above, is going to include some sub-par parts, or parts that you would prefer they had changed with Brand "X". Basically, you are buying the same caliber product as if you buy a package laptop, home computer or "sport" package automobile.

JD

I'm sorry but the original post is just wrong..

He saying that the manufacturer doesn't really matter and that most are going to be the same and use sub par parts...
He goes on to say that they're all about the same accuracy and it doesn't matter who makes your AR because you can take it to any gun smith and make it a tack driver...

He made some good points and most of it is true.
But if a total n00b read his post they'd think a $900 M&P15 is the same thing as a LWRC or BCM complete.
When it comes down to it, sure, maybe accuracy is similar between the cheap ARs and the expensive ones, but accuracy is not why most people buy ARs.
Most people are buying them for self defense, SHTF, plinking, 3-gun, etc.
Almost no one is buying an AR for true precision shooting.
I'm not saying they are never used for precision shooting, I'm saying most people don't use them for that.
So when the OP says how all ARs are the same and it doesn't matter who manufactures them, then I would have to say that is extremely incorrect.

Is a complete $2000 BCM the same as a complete $800 Delton or complete M&P15?
Is every part mil-spec on those?
Is the quality control the same for Noveske as it is for the off brand one you find at Walmart?
Are all BCGs MPI/HP tested? Shot peened bolts? Do they use 158 for the bolt and 8620 for the carrier? Are the keys staked?

...shaking my head

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 07-24-2014 at 03:34 PM.
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #319
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
I'm sorry but the original post is just wrong..

He saying that the manufacturer doesn't really matter and that most are going to be the same and use sub par parts...
He goes on to say that they're all about the same accuracy and it doesn't matter who makes your AR because you can take it to any gun smith and make it a tack driver...

He made some good points and most of it is true.
But if a total n00b read his post they'd think a $900 M&P15 is the same thing as a LWRC or BCM complete.
When it comes down to it, sure, maybe accuracy is similar between the cheap ARs and the expensive ones, but accuracy is not why most people buy ARs.
Most people are buying them for self defense, SHTF, plinking, 3-gun, etc.
Almost no one is buying an AR for true precision shooting.
I'm not saying they are never used for precision shooting, I'm saying most people don't use them for that.
So when the OP says how all ARs are the same and it doesn't matter who manufactures them, then I would have to say that is extremely incorrect.

Did you also read the part where it tell you the date of the post? 07-25-2008. 07:47 PM

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #320

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Let's End The AR BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Did you also read the part where it tell you the date of the post? 07-25-2008. 07:47 PM

I got that.
But obviously people are still reading this post.
Just imagine a n00b reading that.
Then that n00b walks into a gun store to buy his first AR. And he walks out with a $800 piece of crap because he thinks it's the same quality as the BCM/Noveske/LWRC/etc. Etc. Right next to it..

Yes, that post is old. But this is a forum. People will read his post for YEARS!
How many times has his post been viewed by n00bs in the last 6 years since 2008 when he posted it?
How many people have taken his advice? lol

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 07-24-2014 at 03:39 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This