Let's End The AR BS! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Matt - The one that Brett did on his AR, which reminds me I need to get pictures when he gets back from vaca, he has yet to have any failure to ignite either with Military surplus or his handloads.

According to the write up, this drops the hammer impact around 20%-25%. If you have a problem with the results, it's about $2 or $3 bucks worth of two springs that need to be replaced.

For about $13, you can buy the replacement springs that are drop in and take about 10% to 15% off the creep of the stock trigger.

It's worth a try in my mind...

JD
A 25% loss isn't bad at all. I've had the web of my thumb between the hammer and the front wall of the trigger area, while trying to pull the hammer back. My pulling hand slipped an I wasn't quick enough with my other hand. I found out how much pressure one of those hammers exerts the hard way.

Quote:
This thread has had something like 471 views. I love it!

Let's get the word out there and dispel some of these myths about the "expensive" AR Platform....

JD
The topic of affordable ARs came up over on Jeep Forum. I recommended that they build their own and come look at some of the threads over here. This was one of them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 07-30-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #22

The model1sales kits work very well for the money, The shaw barrels are capable of holding dime size(or better) groups at a100yds with no problems.

As far as lowers go, the last three i picked up were double star at $95. each, shipped. Since i own a few dpms rifles, i stripped one to compare with the model1sales uppers iv'e been playing with lately.

The dpms forgings are a 32 or maybe a 16th thicker than the model1sales forgings, however unless you plan to put your ar under a tank it really doesn't matter.

The complete dpms lo-pro classic with scope versis a m1s of same build comes in a few onces more, not enough to worry about. There are only so many makers of these parts no matter whose names on them. A simple search like ar-15 parts will bring up lots of stuff to chose from. blue

Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

The topic of affordable ARs came up over on Jeep Forum. I recommended that they build their own and come look at some of the threads over here. This was one of them.
Sweeeeet. The more people we can get building the own, the better for the market as a whole.

Well, that, and putting an early thorn in Obama's pristine ass....

JD

Old 07-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #24

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 58

JD, you are a wealth of knowledge, keep it comming brother!

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
JD, you are a wealth of knowledge, keep it comming brother!
Thanks Bro - I appreciate the kudos. Just looking out for My Peeps.

JD

Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sarco sells a complete Lower receiver with A2 buttstock, pistol grip, internal parts kit and lock pins for $179.95.
They sell an A2 upper with rear sight ass'y, cover ass'y, and forward assist ass'y for 119.95.

Stripped Lower receivers are $99.95
Stripped A2 Upper Recievers are $79.95
Stripped Flat top uppers are $88.95

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-30-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Sarco sells a complete Lower receiver with A2 buttstock, pistol grip, internal parts kit and lock pins for $179.95.
They sell an A2 upper with rear sight ass'y, cover ass'y, and forward assist ass'y for 119.95.

Stripped Lower receivers are $99.95
Stripped A2 Upper Recievers are $79.95
Stripped Flat top uppers are $88.95
That's very good information RL - Thanks for adding it to the thread.

This is going the way that I had hoped. The guys in the know are getting some good info out there for all the masses to be able to use it as a reference.

This is one of my favorite threads so far thanks to all the good information everyone is contributing. 969 views as of this morning. This is the beginning of something wonderful, with an AR in every house... LOL

JD

Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Good meeting you too. Was just reading some of the newer posts and totally agree with your take on the RRA. Yes, they are decent, but way over priced in my opinion. I did notice your mention of Krieger barrels available from your shop? How do they stack up say versus Noveske or PacNor? I ask that because they are both available locally here. I am building another target/varmint piece and have a Noveske in mind for it, but also have Krieger on my .338 Lapua and have nothing but praise for it. Appreciate your feedback

Slo
Slo - We don't resell many Krieger barrels, but we are a "preferred dealer" due to the shear magnitude of the orders we place with them. Probably 70% of the custom rifles we build have Kriegers on them when they leave the shop, which is no small amount.

I personally have two of their barrels, one on my .308 and one for my new project, the 7mm Lawton action that is spec'd to be completed, hopefully, before fall. *crossing fingers*

We have never had a bad one, that I can think of, to be honest. We have put a couple of their AR barrels on a twin pair of Varmint style AR's we did last year and the field reports were great. Accuracy was superb and no problems.

We have put on a Pac-Nor from time to time, but they aren't too popular with our clientele. I don't know why, they just aren't asked for too often. We have had a fair amount of Noveske's come through and they are a nice barrel as well. Certainly head and shoulders above alot of the rest of the field. They are good to deal with, and they are local. I don't know of any problems with their units, we just don't put as many on as either the standard GI Units or, like a Krieger for custom builds.

I don't think the Noveske's are a single point, cut rifling like the Krieger. Since that has been proven, thus far, to be THE end all, beat all in the accuracy department, I have to side with the good folks from Minnesota/Wisconsin on that one. I don't know what they are putting in the water out there, but there are some great barrel makers that all do single point cut rifling.

For a good Varmint model, I think either one would be a great choice that will give you excellent accuracy in the right hands.

I would love to see some pictures and some details when you get it done!

JD

Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
That's very good information RL - Thanks for adding it to the thread.

This is going the way that I had hoped. The guys in the know are getting some good info out there for all the masses to be able to use it as a reference.

This is one of my favorite threads so far thanks to all the good information everyone is contributing. 969 views as of this morning. This is the beginning of something wonderful, with an AR in every house... LOL

JD
Thanks JD - Occasionally I get bored and pick up a Shotgun News. SARCO has this add running for cheap uppers & lowers and a bunch of other stuff. I guess if they're milspec they're ok? They don't mention who makes them...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #30

Honestly RL, they don't even need to be Mil-Spec.

As I started with, a receiver is a receiver is a receiver. It's what kind of parts and care you put into assembling them that determines whether or not they are going to shoot and perform for you.

Are the fancy high dollar ones a little more polished and probably a little thicker aluminum? Probably. Are the lower dollar ones capable of producing tight groups if assembled properly? Absolutely.

JD

Last edited by matt g; 08-03-2008 at 07:56 PM.