Let's End The AR BS! - Page 23
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Hey, JD I was wondering if you still willing to share any insightful analysis on the questions I posed earlier. If you don't remember them, here's what I had initially said to your previous post towards me:

On Barrel Configuration:

Quote:
Well, I was planning on using the higher grain rounds for home defense which was the reason why I opted for the 1x7 over the 1x9. Of course, if there is a middle ground somewhere that would work with 1x9 then I might reassess which barrel to get (I still have time to change the final order after all, plus both barrel configurations are the same price ).
On Front Sight:

Quote:
As for the front sight, I was pretty conflicted on whether or not to get a YHM 4 rail gas block with a YHM solid front sight attached to it, a YHM flip front sight gas block, a YHM forgrip solid front sight, or one of the off brand gas block and sight combos that DTI is offering on their web site (seen here: Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Barrel Parts - Gas Blocks). The problem is that regardless of which option I go with they are all a bit pricey compared to what I am willing to spend right now. If you have any insightful suggestions on the matter then buy all means let me know. You know I appreciate all the help I can get on this issue.
Flash Hider

Quote:
Also, I was debating on whether or not just to go with a regular A2 flash hider or the Phantom 5C2 model by YHM. Which do you think is more of a worthy purchase?
Thanks in advance.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 04-22-2009 at 05:32 AM.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #222

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, I had seen those and forgot to get back to you Major - sorry about that.

Okay, here are my thoughts:

1) I don't like the idea of the AR for "home defense". Perimeter defense is one thing, especially out to the drop dead Space Zombie line. But inside the walls of your average constructed home, not a real good idea in my book.

With the 1:9 twist barrel, you can shoot the lower grain bullets, which are VERY common in stores, sporting goods shops and police/military installations. Should the Super Volcano blow - then you are going to want to have what is commonly available as a resource. The 1:7 will shoot them, just not as well. Plus, if you were going to reload, you can reload a nasty varmint or ballistic tip in 55 gr or 62 gr and get the same, or better, penetration and wound channel over a larger bullet.

2) Front Sight: I would stay away from the four rail system for the gas block. It's just not the best available option out there quite frankly. Get a low profile gas block that has ONE rail directly on the top. Then you can add a flip up front site later on. I don't even have a set of BUIS on my first AR because I run my Eotech on it and never got around to getting a set of fold downs for it. It's not my primary AR these days, so I can get away with that.

Stay away from the front ramp site though - it just gets all sorts of in the way later on. I speak from experience.

3) A flash hider is a flash hider. They all work about the same. I have yet to see one that was so technologically advanced that it suddenly became "IT" in the flash hider category. The standard A2 is fine. The YHM one is, probably, 15% better.

YMMV - but probably not by much.

JD

Old 04-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I don't like the idea of the AR for "home defense". Perimeter defense is one thing, especially out to the drop dead Space Zombie line. But inside the walls of your average constructed home, not a real good idea in my book.
Tell that to Sabre Defence with this little home defense endorsement seen here:

Sabre Defence :: Firearms :: XR15 Rifles, AR15 upper receivers, barrel assembly

Quote:
Front Sight: I would stay away from the four rail system for the gas block. It's just not the best available option out there quite frankly. Get a low profile gas block that has ONE rail directly on the top. Then you can add a flip up front site later on. I don't even have a set of BUIS on my first AR because I run my Eotech on it and never got around to getting a set of fold downs for it. It's not my primary AR these days, so I can get away with that.

Stay away from the front ramp site though - it just gets all sorts of in the way later on. I speak from experience.
If that is the case, then would this front flip sight tower by YHM be a good alternative to go with?

Here is what I am looking at:
Front Flip Sight Towers

The reason why I ask is because that is one of the options I can choose with Del-Ton.

Quote:
A flash hider is a flash hider. They all work about the same. I have yet to see one that was so technologically advanced that it suddenly became "IT" in the flash hider category. The standard A2 is fine. The YHM one is, probably, 15% better.

YMMV - but probably not by much.
Well, the reason why I asked is because I want a good flash hider that allows the option to add on a suppressor should I make such a choice in the near future. (They just legalized them here in Missouri last summer thanks to CMMG and their lobbying skills. ) Therefore, are the YHM ones a good choice to go with?

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Old 04-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
If that is the case, then would this front flip sight tower by YHM be a good alternative to go with?

Front Flip Sight Towers

The reason why I ask is because that is one of the options I can choose with Del-Ton.
?
Major, I know you asked JD but I am curious as to what you are planning down the road for optics.

JD says that on one of his ARs he uses the EoTech holographic sight as his only sight and doesn't bother with backup iron sights. If you aren't in a combat situation it is not critical that you have a backup if your batteries go dead or you damage the EoTech. If you are in a critical situation and the EoTech fails you can immediately use the BUISs but these have to be in the upright position to do so. Therefore it would seem that flip up front and/or rear sights aren't really necessary with EoTech. You could just use the standard non-flip front and rear iron sights. They co-witness with the EoTech and most find they don't interfere with it.

On the other hand if you ever intend to use magnified optics, the front and rear sights may interfere with the scope so flip sights may be necessary. Check out these links Backup Iron Sights for Your AR , SayUncle » Aimpoint v. EOTech Deathmatch and Explanation of Co-Witness - M4Carbine.net Forums

If I'm giving out bad poop somebody please correct me.

Bill

Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #225

Quote:
Tell that to Sabre Defence with this little home defense endorsement seen here:

Sabre Defence :: Firearms :: XR15 Rifles, AR15 upper receivers, barrel assembly
Okay. You are taking home defense advice from an advertisement. Put forth by a company that sells the product they are "endorsing" as the end all, beat all for home defense.

Fact. A .223/5.56mm round will, in fact, punch through several layers of sheetrock, meaning that errant round you fired is now in your neighbors house.

Quote:

Front Flip Sight Towers

Absolutely. That is a really good choice. I love YHM and their flip up sights. Great products from a company that takes care of their customers.

Quote:
Well, the reason why I asked is because I want a good flash hider that allows the option to add on a suppressor should I make such a choice in the near future. (They just legalized them here in Missouri last summer thanks to CMMG and their lobbying skills. ) Therefore, are the YHM ones a good choice to go with?
In that case, yes, go with the pre-threaded break in preparation for your new can. Which product are you looking at? AAC makes some sweet AR cans that work dry and work really well....

JD

Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgu View Post
Major, I know you asked JD but I am curious as to what you are planning down the road for optics.

JD says that on one of his ARs he uses the EoTech holographic sight as his only sight and doesn't bother with backup iron sights. If you aren't in a combat situation it is not critical that you have a backup if your batteries go dead or you damage the EoTech. If you are in a critical situation and the EoTech fails you can immediately use the BUISs but these have to be in the upright position to do so. Therefore it would seem that flip up front and/or rear sights aren't really necessary with EoTech. You could just use the standard non-flip front and rear iron sights. They co-witness with the EoTech and most find they don't interfere with it.

On the other hand if you ever intend to use magnified optics, the front and rear sights may interfere with the scope so flip sights may be necessary. Check out these links Backup Iron Sights for Your AR , SayUncle » Aimpoint v. EOTech Deathmatch and Explanation of Co-Witness - M4Carbine.net Forums

If I'm giving out bad poop somebody please correct me.
I actually plan on using magnified optics on my rifle instead of an EoTech or an ACOG for a number of reasons:

1.) They're too expensive.

2.) Shotguns make a better use as home defense weapons with such optics on them.

3.) The range I am using has distances of 25, 75, and 100 meters in distance. Considering that I will be using the 100 meter range the most with this M4A1 style rifle, it would make better sense to use magnified optics over a simple CQB one.

That's why I am going with flip up sights for my iron sights.

Thanks for the help though.

Quote:
Okay. You are taking home defense advice from an advertisement. Put forth by a company that sells the product they are "endorsing" as the end all, beat all for home defense.

Fact. A .223/5.56mm round will, in fact, punch through several layers of sheetrock, meaning that errant round you fired is now in your neighbors house.
I know that, which is why I posted that. I just wanted to see what your response was going to be.

I just find it funny that they are toting this particular weapon in that particular fashion. Did you notice that the rifle being used was a 20''? I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that.

*sigh*

You really need to go on to M4Carbine.net and bash some skulls in. These guys just refuse to let up on the notion that if you don't have an AR for home defense, it is not military grade (in which is has a 1x7 barrel, heavy buffer tube, full auto BCG, etc.), and it is not a Colt, Noveske, or LMT then you are as good as dead. Leave it to a bunch of ex-military, law enforcement, or redneck cracker, wannabe elitist, hacks to push such crap on people. What ever happened to the good ol' days of a simple Mossberg 500 with slugs or buckshot in them as a home defense weapon? I mean I can understand wanting a military grade rifle for law enforcement work, but why should it be necessary for every single senerio in use?

Anyway, I have a feeling this upper receiver is going to cost me more than I want it to if I want to have magnified optics.

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 04-27-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #227

Quote:

You really need to go on to M4Carbine.net and bash some skulls in. These guys just refuse to let up on the notion that if you don't have an AR for home defense, it is not military grade (in which is has a 1x7 barrel, heavy buffer tube, full auto BCG, etc.), and it is not a Colt, Noveske, or LMT then you are as good as dead.
Dude, it took me quite a while to clean up this site of all that crap. Do you KNOW how long it would take over there?! Between the Cyber Ninjas, All the "Former Spec Ops" guys, the Commandos, and let's not forget the Mall Security Personnel ( ) I would be battling until The End of Days.

Quote:
Leave it to a bunch of ex-military, law enforcement, or redneck cracker, wannabe elitist, hacks to push such crap on people.
A bunch of those guys used to post here too. There have been some epic battles of stupidity on this forum concerning this lone, often misunderstood, weapon system.

There are people that will tell you to your face if you don't buy a weapon that costs $5K ( sans Optics ), you are practically offering your children up to the Space Zombies on a silver platter.

Half the people that talk shi'ite about the weapon have never built one and can only parrot what other people have said about the weapon.

Do a search on the use of the Accu-Wedge and take a look at all the ill-informed responses.

JD

Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #228

Quote:
Dude, it took me quite a while to clean up this site of all that crap. Do you KNOW how long it would take over there?! Between the Cyber Ninjas, All the "Former Spec Ops" guys, the Commandos, and let's not forget the Mall Security Personnel ( ) I would be battling until The End of Days.
Well, unless we have top of the line equipment the Chinese will eventually just walk in and take over the country due to a piss poor and ill-equipped people. I thought you knew that already?

Quote:
A bunch of those guys used to post here too. There have been some epic battles of stupidity on this forum concerning this lone, often misunderstood, weapon system.

There are people that will tell you to your face if you don't buy a weapon that costs $5K ( sans Optics ), you are practically offering your children up to the Space Zombies on a silver platter.

Half the people that talk shi'ite about the weapon have never built one and can only parrot what other people have said about the weapon.

Do a search on the use of the Accu-Wedge and take a look at all the ill-informed responses.

JD
Oh believe me I have and it makes my skin crawl sometimes.

Anyway, I'm finally starting to tally up what the final build it going to be. I'll post my results on here when I am finished. If you have any other words of wisdom then let me know. I can use all the help I can get.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #229

Quote:

Anyway, I'm finally starting to tally up what the final build it going to be. I'll post my results on here when I am finished. If you have any other words of wisdom then let me know. I can use all the help I can get.

I think you have a firm handle on what you need at this point. You will need to SOURCE everything, which is going to be the hard part right now.

I think you will have a couple of questions along the way, but you are on the right track and have a good base knowledge to start with.

Best of luck - Start a new thread and post up your results as you go so we can all enjoy the build.

JD

Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #230

I will definitely start a thread up when I make the final order.

Actually, I do have one question I forgot to ask earlier. What would be a good optic to use for 100m target practice? I'm not as well versed on magnified scopes as I am on the CQB ones. Any advice on what magnification and type of scope I should be looking into?

Thanks again.