Let's End The AR BS! - Page 22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

DJ and Major, you guys are really helping me out here. I hadn't looked seriously at Del-Ton but with the price of Major's dream build it's time I looked at them.

DJ, the YHM suggestions for the free float with options to mount upper and lower stuff sound great, thanks. I will research it.

Are the lower priced optics ($300 range) such as Weaver and Leupold worth looking at? There's another brand with red dot in that price range but I forget the name. I also saw an interesting new one, IOR 1X/4X 4X32 mm tactical scope, but can't seem to get a price.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #212

DJ, your comments about lowers being like gold right now made me look for an alternative to the DS lower. There is a CMMG MOD4sa available from AIM Surplus now for a few $ more than the out of stock DS from Model 1. The spec looks good and so do the pictures. Any problems with this item?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #213

DJ, your comments about lowers being like gold right now made me look for an alternative to the DS lower. There is a CMMG MOD4sa available from AIM Surplus now for a few $ more than the out of stock DS from Model 1. The spec looks good and so do the pictures. Any problems with this item?

The other lower priced scope I was considering is the Millett DMS-1 1-4x 30mm. This link discusses mounting it with a CAA DVSR mount: CAA DVSR One-Piece . Comments?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #214

Sorry, I got the IOR scope model wrong. It is the IOR 1X/4X 4X32 mm tactical scope.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #215

No, I see I got it right the first time. Disregard.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #216

DJ, another question if you have time. The YHM forearm YHM-5000 seems to accomodate lights but with the smooth bottom it would seem to preclude the attachment of a vertical grip since there are no rails where it would mount. However, it would probably be more comfortable than the 4 rail system with rail panels when the vertical grip wasn't mounted. I guess I'm thinking the 4 rail system offers the most flexibility and I can cover up the rails that aren't used for an accessory with rail panels. Of course I haven't seen an M16 since Nam and I'm just looking at pictures so your advice will be much appreciated.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #217

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well bro, it's about personal preference.

The YHM fore end that I linked was one of a couple of styles they have, and one style has a rail on the top and one on the bottom for mounting a pistol grip front end if you wish.

A CMMG lower is fine also. There really isn't much overall difference and some companies buy theirs direct from CMMG and have them stamped with their own name/image on there.

Unless you are buying one from a CNC shop that is personally cutting the thing for your build, most receivers are exactly that. Mass produced and marketed receivers....

As for the CAA mount. I have seen them. I am not a huge fan of them, because your glass is going to cost you good money, why skimp on the mount that is going to hold it to the weapon? Kind of doesn't make sense to me, but that's just me.

What I don't like about that particular mount is that there is only one screw that holds the whole thing down, so there is only one point of contact to the weapon, yet it is supposed to align both ends of the scope in line with the bore and keep them there. Not the best application of theory in my book, but plenty of guys seem to like them. For a CQB style weapon, I am sure it would be fine. For a long range varminter, probably not.....

Both the scopes you reference are fine. Nothing wrong with either one. IOR Valdada is making great scopes and Millet has been around for quite awhile doing the same thing. Both would be fine for your standard 16" barrel profile weapons.

JD ( NOT DJ )

Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #218

Sorry I got your name backwards, JD. Must be getting dislexic in my old age. If you think the Millet is OK what would you recommend for a mount? It seems you need to cantilever the Millet somewhat over the handguard to get good clearance for NTCH shooting.

Up to this point I had been planning to go with a pre-ban barrel but now I wonder if the M4 barrel with the M4 ramps on the upper might be better to reduce the possibility of jams with certain ammo. The only problem seems to be the M4 16" barrel is actually 14.5" long. Is this true? I would prefer the barrel actually be 16" which I think the pre-ban barrel is.

Another question. Do you guys have FFLs since you do so many builds? I was thinking of getting one but it cost $200 for 3 years and I don't want to wait the several months to just get a license.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #219

JD, on further thought I like the YHM-5000 (top rail) if I could figure a way to mount the vertical grip. There are a few verticals that don't require rails for mounting but I'm not sure how they accomplish this unless they screw into the bottom of the handguard or clamp into the ventilation holes. The front rails on the YHM-5000 would accommodate lights and it would be comfortable to hold. I can't figure how they mount the gas block/front sight and gas tube. It almost looks like you have to mount the YHM-5000 first and then mount the gas tube/front sight using holes in the YHM-5000 to slide the pins through to pin the front sight on. This looks a little tricky but I guess it can be done. They also make a Customizable Free Float Forearm System that you can add rails to in any position. This one looks like it would allow the best flexibility since you only put the rails where you need them.

Bill

Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #220

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The Customizable Free Float was the one I was thinking of, then you can add rails where you need them.

YHM is a great company, turns out really good stuff and stands behind it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

As for the questions on the hand guard itself, it depends on the application. They have mid length and full length low profile gas blocks that can go completely under the handguard and never be seen or they can match up to the end of the handguard. Either application is fine as long as you get a barrel to match.

JD