Let's End The AR BS! - Page 21
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, NC,North Carolina
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
What kind of configuration are you looking at building? 16" barrel? Standard stock? Collapsible? Flat top? Carry handle model like you had in Vietnam?
JD
Thanks for your comments JD. Today is far different than the Vietnam era. You got spit on back then if you were a vet.

I'm basically looking for a tactical carbine for target use and home defense. With the Facism we are experiencing I'm concerned that when the depression hits the civil unrest will overwhelm law enforcement. Not from guys like us but from those who voted for this and expected, but didn't get, Nirvana.

My present build looks like this so far:

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Upper Half includes below items:
5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore; 1-9 twist, A2 flashider
A3 w/M1S BUIS removable rear sight, $75.00 option
Steel gas block w/YHM flip front sight, $65.00 option
YHM 2 pc 4 rail handguard, $127.00 option
Bolt carrier group & Badger ext latch chrg handle, $134.00 option

AR-15 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER
Rock River Arms Two Stage Trigger, OCMP Legal
Lower Parts Set, AR15

Universal CTR Buttstock, Dark Earth
30-Round MagLevel PMAG, Flat Dark Earth
MIAD Basic Grip Kit, Dark Earth
XTM Rail Panels, Flat Dark Earth (X2)

Let me know if I'm making mistakes. Thanks.
__________________
gymgu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #202
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

^ That's a hell of a nice build you got there. The 1:9 twist barrel will be idle for both civilian .223 and battlefield pick up 5.56mm Nato in the 55gr or the 62 gr stuff, so that will give you plenty of options.

I am not personally a big fan of the 4 rail fore-ends. They are sharp, I see you got the covers selected also - wise move, and they are a bit bulky for my tastes. However, YHM makes great stuff and you won't be disappointed.

You don't really NEED the two stage trigger group with the 16" barrel. It's more a precision trigger for longer range shooting. Having said that, I have one I put in a project gun and it's a great trigger, I really like it.

Other than that, you are good to go, as long as you got your patience hat on.

JD

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #203
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChuckD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 223
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

gymgu

I went to a local gun store and got a handle an AR with a 4 rail system I thought it was abit uncomfortable to an ungloved hand. It looked really awesome but it got bumped off my list of stuff I want on my AR. But to each his own, good luck finding the parts to put together your AR.

Chuck

__________________
ChuckD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, NC,North Carolina
Posts: 42
Default

Again, thanks for your comments DJ. I'll admit that some of that stuff is more looks than functional. The adjustable buttstock is based on experience with the M16 which didn't exactly fit my build. One of my thoughts about the 4 rails and the RRA trigger is that I'm trying to float the barrel in case I (or more likely my son) should want to do any precision shooting but that would require a different barrel. Another reason is to possibly mount a vertical front grip or a light. The rails are a little expensive and if you have any thoughts or suggestions on any of this I would appreciate it.

The flat top upper, removable rear/folding front sights, and Badger latch also would allow optics to be added which, as my eye sight fades, may be necessary in case the BUIS don't work. I know that optics can be expensive so your recommendations would be appreciated as well.

So far as I can tell the parts from Model 1 get good reviews and seem to represent good value for the money.

__________________
gymgu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #205
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, NC,North Carolina
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
gymgu

I went to a local gun store and got a handle an AR with a 4 rail system I thought it was abit uncomfortable to an ungloved hand. It looked really awesome but it got bumped off my list of stuff I want on my AR. But to each his own, good luck finding the parts to put together your AR.

Chuck
Thanks ChuckD. That's 2 votes that 4 rails are uncomfortable. I did plan to use rail panels to help with that. I want good ventilation and the ability to float the barrel. I also want the option to add a vertical grip or light so if you have any suggestions about a better way to accomplish that I would appreciate it.
__________________
gymgu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #206
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Major Kusanagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 372
Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

That is a pretty nice build you have there gymgu.

Just make sure you don't post that build on M4Carbine.net or SilencerTalk.com. Those guys have a tendency to turn up their nose if your build isn't a Colt, LMT, or Noveske.

Since we're talking about builds here, if you guys don't mind I'd like to show off my dream build from Del-Ton Inc.

Company: Del-Ton Inc.
Rifle Kit: M4 Rifle Kit
Barrel: DTI 16'' M4 1x7 Chrome Lined
Handguard: YHM 4 Rail Light Weight FF Tube
BCG: LMT Standard BCG
Buttstock: Magpul Mil-Spec CTR Buttstock - Black
Grip: Ergo Sure Grip - Ambi
Flash Hider: YHM Phantom 5C2 Flash Hider
Gas Block: YHM Flip Up Front Gas Block
Lower Parts: Standard LPK
Charging Handle: Standard Charging Handle with Badger Tac Latch
Upper: A3 Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps
Lower: Stripped Del-Ton Lower

Total Cost of Rifle: $997.00

Too bad I don't have that kind of cash to throw around.

However, I have finally made up a decision on what kit I will be going with. Yes, I know it's been months of grueling brain racking, but I think JD might be proud of what I, Motoko Kusanagi (formerly TwoHandRevy), have finally decided to go with.

Here's a low down of what I am going to finally do:

Company: Del-Ton Inc.
Rifle Kit: M4 Rifle Kit
Barrel: DTI 16'' M4 1x7 Chrome Lined
Handguards: YHM 4 Rail Light Weight FF Tube
BCG: Standard BCG
Buttstock: M4 Buttstock: Black
Grip: A2 Grip - Black
Rear Sight: Detachable Carrying Handle
Flash Hider: A2 Flash Hider
Gas Block: Standard A2 Front Sight
Lower Parts: Standard LPK
Charging Handle: Standard Charging Handle with Badger Tac Latch
Upper: A3 Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps
Lower: Del-Ton Stripped Lower

Total Cost of Rifle: $810.00

Add in transfer fees and shipping costs, a YHM cleaning kit, a Midway USA Rifle case, and a couple of Magpul PMAGs, and I should be just under $1000 for the final cost. Not too shabby if you ask me.

__________________

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Major Kusanagi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #207
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgu View Post
Thanks ChuckD. That's 2 votes that 4 rails are uncomfortable. I did plan to use rail panels to help with that. I want good ventilation and the ability to float the barrel. I also want the option to add a vertical grip or light so if you have any suggestions about a better way to accomplish that I would appreciate it.
gymgu - YHM makes a free float tube that has an upper, for optics, and a lower, for pistol grip or lights, rail system that is just as good ( better in my opinion ) as their 4 rail system.

Here's a picture of the version I am talking about, but they have another one with a full length upper and lower rail.

As for optics, that is where it gets interesting. A 16" barrel will shoot Minute of Bad Guy all day out to about 500 meters or so, but it's also really designed to be a close quarters battler.

I really like the Eotech, with their 4x image enhancer on an ARMS quick release system, but you are looking at a grand.

You can get a red dot or an aimpoint for your CQB needs, then get a good 4.5 x 14 scope with some "Return to Zero" mounts like those from ARMS or, I think, Troy Industries.

Just off the top of my head....
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #208
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
That is a pretty nice build you have there gymgu.

Just make sure you don't post that build on M4Carbine.net or SilencerTalk.com. Those guys have a tendency to turn up their nose if your build isn't a Colt, LMT, or Noveske.
Man, F**K those guys!! A bunch of gun snobs that INSIST you can't have a good weapon if it hasn't been branded by some SPECIAL gunsmith that took him a year to build for you and charged you enough to take out a second mortage on your house.

World class posers, more than half of them. I bet half of them can't even build their own weapons, or make critical diagnose on their own sh!t.

Quote:
However, I have finally made up a decision on what kit I will be going with. Yes, I know it's been months of grueling brain racking, but I think JD might be proud of what I, Motoko Kusanagi (formerly TwoHandRevy), have finally decided to go with.

Here's a low down of what I am going to finally do:

Company: Del-Ton Inc.
Rifle Kit: M4 Rifle Kit
Barrel: DTI 16'' M4 1x7 Chrome Lined
Handguards: YHM 4 Rail Light Weight FF Tube
BCG: Standard BCG
Buttstock: M4 Buttstock: Black
Grip: A2 Grip - Black
Rear Sight: Detachable Carrying Handle
Flash Hider: A2 Flash Hider
Gas Block: Standard A2 Front Sight
Lower Parts: Standard LPK
Charging Handle: Standard Charging Handle with Badger Tac Latch
Upper: A3 Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps
Lower: Del-Ton Stripped Lower

Total Cost of Rifle: $810.00

Add in transfer fees and shipping costs, a YHM cleaning kit, a Midway USA Rifle case, and a couple of Magpul PMAGs, and I should be just under $1000 for the final cost. Not too shabby if you ask me.
That's a nice build you got there Revy/Major. I would dump the A2 slanted front sight though. Going to be a pain with optics.

Also, the 1:7 is going to not as good as the 1:9 for most common, battle field / store purchase types of ammo. 1:7 is good, but the 1:9 will treat you a bit better with the 55 grain and 62 grain stuff....

Other than that, it looks good.....
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #209
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Major Kusanagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 372
Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That's a nice build you got there Revy/Major. I would dump the A2 slanted front sight though. Going to be a pain with optics.

Also, the 1:7 is going to not as good as the 1:9 for most common, battle field / store purchase types of ammo. 1:7 is good, but the 1:9 will treat you a bit better with the 55 grain and 62 grain stuff....

Other than that, it looks good.....
Well, I was planning on using the higher grain rounds for home defense which was the reason why I opted for the 1x7 over the 1x9. Of course, if there is a middle ground somewhere that would work with 1x9 then I might reassess which barrel to get (I still have time to change the final order after all, plus both barrel configurations are the same price ).

As for the front sight, I was pretty conflicted on whether or not to get a YHM 4 rail gas block with a YHM solid front sight attached to it, a YHM flip front sight gas block, a YHM forgrip solid front sight, or one of the off brand items gas block and sight combos that DTI is offering on their web site (seen here: Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Barrel Parts - Gas Blocks). The problem is that regardless of which option I go with they are all a bit pricey compared to what I am willing to spend right now. If you have any insightful suggestions on the matter then buy all means let me know. You know I appreciate all the help I can get on this issue.

Also, I was debating on whether or not just to go with a regular A2 flash hider or the Phantom 5C2 model by YHM. Which do you think is more of a worthy purchase?
__________________

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin


Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 04-19-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Major Kusanagi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChuckD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 223
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

gymgu. I would listen to the experts. I'm just learning about ARs myself. I think the tube Dillinger linked to is a good compromise. Might have to check that out myself.

__________________
ChuckD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes