Let's End The AR BS! - Page 20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Look forward to you showing it off

Old 04-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Nothing wrong with Stag,or DPMS. But you might want to check out Model 1 Sales,if you just buy a stripped lower from someone,you can get a complete upper kit from them quite a bit cheaper,and you can spec it out with whatever you want.... But I would put a good trigger in anyone I have and the RRA 2 stage match trigger is hard to beat for $90 or a complete RRA lower parts kit with the trigger for $140.
Txhillbilly, I'm ready to order a speced out upper, 2 stage RRA trigger, and Lower parts kit from Model 1. I'm also getting a stripped Double Star lower and other parts from Brownell. If you can help I have some questions:

1. Have you had problems with mating uppers and lowers from different manufacturers? Specifically the DS lower and the Model 1 upper combo.

2. Is the lower parts kit from Model 1 the RRA kit you mentioned above? They don't specify on their website. I don't see the RRA lower parts kit with trigger combo you mentioned.

3. One recommendation from another forum is to order the upper w/o the BCG and then order the BCG designed for auto from Bravo Company since it is built stronger and therefore lasts longer. What do you think?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #193

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgu View Post
Txhillbilly, I'm ready to order a speced out upper, 2 stage RRA trigger, and Lower parts kit from Model 1. I'm also getting a stripped Double Star lower and other parts from Brownell. If you can help I have some questions:

1. Have you had problems with mating uppers and lowers from different manufacturers? Specifically the DS lower and the Model 1 upper combo.

2. Is the lower parts kit from Model 1 the RRA kit you mentioned above? They don't specify on their website. I don't see the RRA lower parts kit with trigger combo you mentioned.

3. One recommendation from another forum is to order the upper w/o the BCG and then order the BCG designed for auto from Bravo Company since it is built stronger and therefore lasts longer. What do you think?
gymgu -

1. - In this day and age of modern, CNC machined parts, common specs, and good QC most uppers and lower snap together without real problems. If for any reason you have a BIG gap between them when you put them together the first time, then you have an issue. Any slight gap can be overcome with a simple tool called an Accu-Wedge and it will cost you about $3 to $5.

2. - Any lower parts kit is going to be about the same unless you are buying cheap, Chinese crap. If you can find ANY lower parts kit from a known US manufacturer in this day, buy it. The RRA trigger is a great addition, but depending on the type of rifle you are building, it isn't a necessity.

3. - There are several schools of thought on the BCG. Yes, a full auto BCG will probably last longer. However a full auto BCG is on the no-no list with the Feds, so it SHOULD be a point to consider. What you want is a well built and properly staked BCG. Outside of that, if you maintain it, it's going to do what it's supposed to do.

If you aren't going to be putting thousands of rounds a week down range, and with these ammo prices these days who can afford too, you just need to build a good, reliable weapon that will take care of you when the time comes.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 04-18-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #194

Thanks for your comment. CNC notwithstanding some "experts" claim you need uppers & lowers from same manufacturer. I'm just hoping someone has experience with my particular setup.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #195

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. CNC notwithstanding some "experts" claim you need uppers & lowers from same manufacturer. I'm just hoping someone has experience with my particular setup.

That is why I started this thread last year. There is so much bull**** on the internet about the AR it's truly staggering.

The fact is, if you get a lower from one company ( cmmg, RRA, double star ) and an upper from another company of equal name and not Ted's AR shop and hot dog stand, you are going to be just fine.

You don't need a Gold Standard Upper and Lower from the same, super elite manufacturer. A receiver is a receiver is a receiver. It's the parts that go into it that make the difference.

I have personally built, probably, over 80 AR's with all sorts of parts, and if you put them together correctly, they will run and run strong.

You don't NEED to have Les Baer or Dave Lauck to personally wave his magic wand over your AR to make it perform.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internetz, because it Sirrius Bidness.

JD

Old 04-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That is why I started this thread last year. There is so much bull**** on the internet about the AR it's truly staggering.
Don't believe everything you read on the Internetz, because it Sirrius Bidness.
JD
Thanks DJ. If you have comments on my other questions please let me know.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #197

Quote:
Thanks DJ. If you have comments on my other questions please let me know.

I believe I did, but if you have other questions, feel free to ask. Pm me if you want, or just keep posting here for the good of the forum.

slowrdy45 will be along shortly and he will also chime in I am sure, as will Stalkingbear....

JD

Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #198

I see you have already commented on the other questions. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #199

This is my first build so I may ask other questions along the way. I'm an engineer with experience building engines, transmissions, and with some machine shop knowledge but this is my first time with rifles. I'm also an old Vietnam era vet but haven't fired an M16 since those days.

Another question: What is the current lead time on parts?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #200

Lead time on parts are LONG right now.

Barrels are 14 to 18 weeks out. Well, that is for a custom barrel. I dont know about the standard GI Chrome lined models.

Lower Parts kits are probably 10 to 12 weeks unless you stumble across one somewhere.

Lower receivers are like Gold right now.

A fully built rifle will have a 4 to 8 month wait from most manufacturers...

What kind of configuration are you looking at building? 16" barrel? Standard stock? Collapsible? Flat top? Carry handle model like you had in Vietnam?

Thanks for your service to this formerly fine country by the way. Much respect!

The guys are all here to help and we have several members who started with nothing but questions and built themselves a quality rifle after just a couple of months.

I am sure you can do the same with your background.

JD