Let's End The AR BS! - Page 18
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well, so much for buying a lower now. Most places are sold out, and Del-Ton Inc. has a 8-16 waiting period because of demand. *sigh* I'm going to hate these next 4 to infinite number of years.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #172

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHandRevy View Post
Well, so much for buying a lower now. Most places are sold out, and Del-Ton Inc. has a 8-16 waiting period because of demand. *sigh* I'm going to hate these next 4 to infinite number of years.
That's the wrong attitude to have my friend. Just because you can't take possession today, doesn't mean you can't GET ONE.

The demand now is the FEAR of an oncoming Assault Weapons Ban Part II - It hasn't happened yet.

If you get your name on the books for a "to be built" model, it's still a legal AR that was purchased BEFORE the election.

Perspective my boy - Put it all in perspective....

Plus, with Christmas coming, make sure and keep an eye on sights like GunsAmerica and second hand places guy move items for quick holiday cash. "Guilt" buying is expected to be up this year, so that means the money needs to come from somewhere. A guy takes a look around and realizes an AR he hasn't done a damn thing with since he got it is worth more than he paid - it's mighty tempting...

Let's see how the next 4 months shake out before we start worrying....

JD

Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #173

Well, I'd love to have a Stag lower (or a completed Stag for the right price), but everywhere I've checked they are sold out, and I can't get on a waiting list either. DTI is pretty much my only option right now, but I don't know how well produced their lowers are.

*sigh*

I just don't know if I can find quality parts in time before the fascists have their fun in January.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #174

Since I am going with the DTI route, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions from you guys on which rifle kit to go with. My two basic needs for this rifle with be plinking and possible home defense. I have narrowed down my choices to two different kits:

-Del-Ton Inc. 16'' M4 Rifle Kit-
-16'' M4 1X7 Chrome Lined Barrel
-CAR Handguards with Heat Shields (Black)
-Standard Bolt and Carrier
-M4 Buttstock (Black)
-A2 Grip (Black)
-No Detachable Carry Handle
-A2 Flash Hider
-Standard A2 Front Sight
-No Lower Parts Kit
-Standard Charging Handle
-Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps
-Total Cost: $525

-Del-Ton Inc. 20'' Rifle Kit-
-20'' 1X9 Chrome Lined Barrel
-Standard Gas Tube
-Standard Handguard
-Standard Bolt and Carrier
-A2 Buttstock (Black)
-A2 Grip (Black)
-No Detachable Carry Handle
-A2 Flash Hider
-Standard A2 Front Sight
-No Lower Parts Kit
-Standard Charging Handle
-Flat Top Upper with T-Marks
-Total Cost: $480

So there you have it. I already have it all figured out for the lower half and the sights for the rifle. It is just the upper half that I am having trouble with. I wish I could buy both, but I don't have the bread to do so. Therefore, I can only pick one. Which one do you guys think would be a better option to go with? Remember plinking and home defense are my two needs for this rifle. BTW I would like for this sucker to be accurate as well. Which kit do you think would do the better job at that? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #175

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well Brother - You have two completely different builds up there. Before we go any further, I need you to define a couple of things, in your mind, for us:

1) What is "plinking", in your mind? What distance is this done?
2) What is "Home Defense", in your mind? What distance is your ideal?
3) Define "Accurate" Minute of Angle? Minute of Bad Guy? Sub Minute of Angle?

Get me those answers and that will help greatly in steering your solution...

JD

Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well Brother - You have two completely different builds up there. Before we go any further, I need you to define a couple of things, in your mind, for us:

1) What is "plinking", in your mind? What distance is this done?
2) What is "Home Defense", in your mind? What distance is your ideal?
3) Define "Accurate" Minute of Angle? Minute of Bad Guy? Sub Minute of Angle?

Get me those answers and that will help greatly in steering your solution...

JD
Okay here we go:

1) The range that I use is an outdoor range on conservation ground. There are only four ranges there to use: 25 yard, 75 yard, 100 yard, and clay pigeon. Therefore, I need something that is effective for precision target shooting on the three distance ranges with both iron sights and magnification equipment. Perhaps if I find a range with a greater distance I would use the rifle for that as well. I also want the rifle to have the ability to take some abuse when it comes to the off chance of spending the day wasting a large amount of ammunition just for fun.

2) I prefer shotguns when it comes to defending my home, and I am currently trying to get my hands on a Mossberg 500 to fill that role. However, I wouldn't mind having the AR as an option to fall back on, and use to deal with an intruder effectively.

3) Primarily MOA and maybe Sub-MOA, but mainly just MOA.

Last edited by TwoHandRevy; 12-04-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #177

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

I'll step in for J.D. on this, MOA=1" groups, MOBG=Large enough to hit'em,small enough not to miss'em, and Sub-MOA=Smaller than 1" groups.
PS,Minute of Bad Guy means basically a shotgun pattern. LOL THB
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #178

I see now. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #179

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

THR,If you just wait a few weeks,you can probably find a stripped lower for it's regular price and not inflated because of the panic rush. Right now all the dealers are taking advantage of the situation and are able to charge whatever the market will give them.
I went to a local shop the other day and they wanted $30 for a 30rd Pmag,went to another today and got 3 of the same ones for $16.95 ea. It just depends on how everyone wants to do business,and I will now drive 20 miles out of the way to do business with this guy,because he doesn't gouge the public because he can.
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #180

Well, I was thinking about getting on the back order list with Del-Ton for their stripped lowers which are priced at $105 and then purchase a Stag Arms LPK for it instead of using the DPMS LPK that comes with Del-Ton's rifle kits. However, I'll keep your advice in mind because I still wouldn't mind to have a complete Stag build all together if the panic finally dies down. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Last edited by TwoHandRevy; 12-04-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Newest Threads