Let's End The AR BS! - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ That looks like a pretty good build actually, for the money, provided the prices are the same at the time of sale.

I always forget LMT sells two versions of their BCG. $130 is a decent price for that unit. Good call.

Of the things I would add would be a Badger Ord Tactical Latch for your charging handle. It gives a much more positive feel in low light, dark or with gloves on type of situation. Easy to find on line for under $20.

You got no rear sight with that package though. And the front ramp site is fixed in position, so if you are adding optics later on, you might have a bit of a problem.

What are your thoughts on the analog sights for your weapon? A lot of people who come through the shop prefer folding front and rear sights that can be either up, down, or co-witnessed with a heads up unit.

I am a little concerned that Armalite is selling you a barreled upper, then telling you that you need to have a gunsmith headspace it before you shoot it.

That doesn't instill much confidence in the overall quality of the unit they are shipping, but the parts themselves all look sound on the surface from what I can read on them. I notice they don't go into to much detail about their trigger/hammer group parts. I imagine they are normal parts, but it would be nice to see what they are including. Didn't you mention that you needed an Ambi Selector?

Outside of that, I would say you are definitely on the right track. *thumbs up*

JD
I'll keep that Badger charging handle in mind.

Yes, I prefer to use analog sights for the rifle, but I figured at that price a simple scope could suffice. However, if there is a dependable carry handle out there for cheap, I'll gladly take it.

I will admit that I too was a bit concerned by that little disclaimer by Armalite. I have actually been trying to see if I could get a Stag Arms/CMT build going, but it is kind of hard to find all the upper parts for a decent price. Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a decent Stag build for a good price? BTW, somebody had suggested a vendor for me to try out, and I was wondering what you thought.

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?categoryId=16&productId=99

Have you ever heard of this company? If so, what do you think about them?

I will try to see if I can't get any pricing from local weapon shops, and see what I can get there. However, I think my safest bet is to either build one myself or to find a cheap model for the time being.

And yes, I think I'll need an ambi-selector and ambi-catch sometime later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
it should fit other lowers
it has taper pins
not too sure what you're talking about when you say 4140 or 4150
4140 and 4150 is the composition build of the steel used to make the barrels. 4150 CMV is the mil-spec composition for M4 carbines in the US military. When it comes to civilian use it is kind of like the debate with the M4 feed ramps on whether or not it is necessary to have a 4150 CMV over a 4140. You can read more about it here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7263

Last edited by TwoHandRevy; 10-13-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHandRevy View Post
BTW, somebody had suggested a vendor for me to try out, and I was wondering what you thought.

The Henderson Def guys are GTG, especially if you're working on an AK, but they do a good bit of AR work as well and are PWS piston certified installers.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #143

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post
are PWS piston certified installers.
That is something I did not know, but can be useful when we are asked about it around the shop. Thanks Kelly....*thumbs up*

JD

Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #144

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I have actually been trying to see if I could get a Stag Arms/CMT build going, but it is kind of hard to find all the upper parts for a decent price. Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a decent Stag build for a good price?
Yes, I do, but I have to go back through some posts and find it. Somebody recently found a good deal on a Stag and I just can't remember where I saw it, here or somewhere else. *thinkun, thinkun*

Quote:
BTW, somebody had suggested a vendor for me to try out, and I was wondering what you thought.

I have heard of them. I have never held one of their weapons, nor have I ever been near one. I have no real frame of reference on this lone brand I am afraid. I haven't heard anything bad about them. But they are not a company that comes up in conversation a lot - some of the other guys might have more experience.

JD

Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That is something I did not know, but can be useful when we are asked about it around the shop. Thanks Kelly....*thumbs up*

JD
Actually they were the first ones, since PWS is actually not too far away.

Here's some of the wild stuff they've been up to:

Suppressed 7.5" 5.56 rifle:

SBR'd Saiga-12
(raw 1)

Finished 1:

Finished 2:

They have some sick ass minds over there.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post

They have some sick ass minds over there.
Yes, but in a good way.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #147

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Those guys almost remind me of these guys:

http://www.tromix.com/Welcome.htm

Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #148

Well, it looks like Henderson Defense has been trying to get some feedback from people over at ARFCOM. I will say that most of the stuff that I want for an AR-15 later on down the road is right there for a reasonable price. I'm seriously debating of just going with them for my new rifle. Unless, I or with some help here come up with a build for around the same price or that cheaper with a lot of those features on them, maybe Henderson Arms is the company to go with. What do you guys think?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 PM   #149

I've met both of the owners and shot a bit with them at the US National SWAT Championships. Good people and serious gun guys. One of the owners is a veteran and both are serious about quality product. They're both VERY well known over at lightfighter.net by some serious full time trigger pullers and their work and work ethic is highly spoken of.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #150

Quote:
Yes, but in a good way.
It's nice gear but some of it just doesn't appeal to me in a design aesthetic sense, completely stupid I know as the look doesn't matter on a weapon built for real world. That's my own weird thing on the collectible side. What's the deal with the flash suppressors? Are they made so you can bore holes in someone if you run out of ammo? Is there a functional reason for that design? I think it takes away from the design a bit.
‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins