Let's End The AR BS! - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
If you didn't necessarily need the NV optics yet....here's another option at a great price....

Del-Ton's EOTech 512 Columbus Day Sale!!

For one weekend only, from Oct. 10-13
We will be offering
The EOTech 512 for $355!!
That's $45 off!!

We do have them in stock and ready for quick shipping!

Please use coupon code CLB108 when checking out to receive the discount. (coupon code is caps sensitive)

Click on the link to order...
http://www.del-ton.com/EoTech_Sight_512_p/op1007.htm

Please give us a call at (910) 645-2172 or email us at sales@del-ton.com with any questions.

Thanks!! Have a safe and happy weekend!
All of us at Del-Ton, Inc.

Slo
i got the same email!
now only if i could find $355 somewhere...

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #122

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Pssst....junho, if you find it, find me some too

specially since I just found out my 401K plan has dropped almost 43% lately

might have to move into that foxhole that JD was talking about yet.

Slo
Seriously! My money tree is as dead as my grass.

JD

Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #123

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Pssst....junho, if you find it, find me some too

specially since I just found out my 401K plan has dropped almost 43% lately

might have to move into that foxhole that JD was talking about yet.

Slo
this is gonna sound like too much of a coincidence...
but i just found $100
you know how when you were little and you got money from birthdays and such
and your parents would always take it and put it in the non-exiting bank account for your college education (mine conveniently disappeared when college came around)
well it was like that for me and i always hid my money in random places in my room so my parents wouldn't take it
and well i guess i just stumbled upon a cache of money that was long forgotten in one of my books
god knows how long its been there...

its a nice little surprise but its not even close enough to buy that eotech...

oh well haha

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #124

I'm extremely into electronics and computers, the two being my primary source or income for the past 20 years or so. Not to long ago, a toy maker actually came out with a night vision system for around 80 bucks. It's amazing but the goofy thing actually works and presents a nice image.

The construction isn't too bad on it, it's built to handle the typical punishment a young boy can deliver - the guts of the thing are actually not bad. I'd rate the electronics as being equal in performance to the Chinese / E Europe NV systems. Not a bad place to start for 80 bucks.

I have a background in amateur astronomy and have unconventional sources for optics in raw component as well as black box / unbranded finished products. Most of the optics companies are sourced from the same factories, most of which are in China. The same people who make Celestrone and Meade telescopes also supply sniper scopes, holographic and so on for the weapon accessory industry. I also happen to have supplier relationships with the companies who make the sensors for the passive and active NV systems used my the US military.

So anyway, yeah I would have to agree a full-on, name brand NV system is probably overkill and assuming a tight budget represents money which would be better spent on other things. However, if I can gut an 80 dollar system w/ the performance of a low end system and then transplant it into my own custom designed and milled casing as well as swapping out a component here and there to bring the performance level up - well figure less than 300 bucks total for gear equal or better than store bought kits which cost 1000 or so isn't completely out of line.

If I decide to go that route I'll do a full write up on it and post it in it's own thread. This is the hobby part of things for me, I love to take things apart and "improve" them.

I appreciate the advice - I plan to move pretty quickly on buying my kit. I hope I won't need a SHTF weapon but I have my doubts we're even going to have an election if things continue to get worse. The collapse of the economy isn't translating into instant devastation on main street so people are still relaxed though worried. The real pain hasn't hit yet and I'm seriously concerned about the what if's when it does. After watching the post Katrina events and going through Ike, well let's just say the media didn't cover any of the real news on that one.... Anyway, discussion for another thread.

Based on the parameters Dillinger laid out, which I agree with - can you guys recommend a specific lower and upper?

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 10-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I appreciate the shout out brother, but there are a lot of knowledgable people here. I am NO EXPERT and never claimed to be. I am just trying to do my part to get Black Rifles into good homes.

Definitely do able as long as you aren't including optics in that budget. If you are, it might be a little harder because parts or going up in price with the election looking.

Probably going to take some ribbing for this. Some of the folks around here are pretty hard on the "at home night vision SHTF" planning. Night Vision is expensive, so keep that in mind. Several heads up sight makers have NV capable units though, so there is no reason you couldn't plan for a full blown future build out.

Good for you. Once you get into the workings of the rifle, you will see that there isn't much mystery to it and that it really is a neat concept that is easy to work on. I think if you have a tinkerers mind, you will find it interesting.

5.56mm - You can fire the civilian .223 from the same chamber safely ( conventional wisdom ) and it's available in every sporting goods store, police station, military ammo bunker in a true SHTF situation. Lethality isn't the best, but you won't be bound by the Hague, so you can use hollowpoints which will help. Multiple rounds will definitely put some Space Zombies down, assuming your accuracy is good.

I think I addressed this in the PM you sent me, but if you are unclear, the lower can be assembled with basic around the house hand tools. The only real specific tool you would need is a carbine wrench if you wanted to install one of the 6 position ( or like kind ) collapsible stocks. The upper is a bit trickier, but not at all out of the range of the average guy with basic tool skills.

Best of luck and welcome to the Black Rifle Family.

JD
Thanks for the replies (thanks to everyone) - I agree with the options you've listed a/f/a ammo and so on. I'm thinking a 16 or 20, 1 / 8 twist and no chrome for the upper. Is there a specific lower better suited to the type of tactical uses I've laid out?

I would usually agree on the night vision. It's a huge investment which could be better spent on other areas. We'd be looking at a very, very serious SHTF scenario to justify it, "normally". I'm looking at a modification and hack of an inexpensive option which if it works out will be written up and posted in it's own thread. I don't want to go to far into that until I know it's going to work out.

I'm going to join up and check out the tutorial - If you guys can recommend a specific lower and even upper I'd appreciate it. I want to move pretty quickly given the election and everything else going on right now.

(I had a reply vanish into no where land - no clue where it ended up if anywhere)
‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #126

I.T. - That is an interesting theory, your NV system, I would like to see and learn more on that in the coming months.

As for a specific upper and lower, I have said it before, and I will say it probably 2 dozen more between now and the end of the year, a receiver is a receiver is a receiver.

What you are looking for is a good quality, decent to well made receiver. You don't want one cast out of pot metal, but you don't need one that was machine milled out of a piece of solid Aircraft Grade Titanium hand loaded by Nike herself in the God's Own CNC machine either.

There are a ton of manufacturers out there. Lots of "name brand" receivers are made by a company called CMMG and restamped with their name.

Here's the first one off a google search for $110. Look around a bit and I am sure you can find one cheaper.

The lower is the key before the election, because that is the only one you have to run through the books of an FLL for legal ownership. Most FFL's in this area charge between $35-$45 to do the transfer through their books and you can walk out the door with the part, provided you pass the background check.

Most of the common day, mass produced upper and lowers are very close in specs, so they will mate up. The one anomaly is Colt. For reasons known to them they use just a bit different pin configuration, but they are also much more expensive, so unless you get a deal, stay away from them just on convenience alone.

Brownells and MidwayUSA both sell parts kits by companies like DPMS, which are very good quality pieces. You can also go to Del-Ton and spec out an upper receiver, with several upgrades for less than market value, that is all head spaced and ready for you to slap together with your Lower. I believe a couple of forum members have done this now in their builds.

In any event, see if you can find a matching upper and lower for a price you are willing to pay. From there, several members would be happy to assist you in shopping for parts kits.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 10-11-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:53 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech View Post
(I had a reply vanish into no where land - no clue where it ended up if anywhere)
It was just waiting to be approved - new members face this when a link or picture is involved. If you have any more, PM me or one of the mods and we will get it posted for you PDQ.

JD

Old 10-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #128

Wow. . .

This thread is filled with a lot of valuable info!

I was wondering, since this thread is all about learning how to build an AR platform, I was wondering if you guys might give me some suggestions on what to look into.

I guess I should explain what I want the AR for and what I am willing to spend on it first huh? I plan on using the AR mainly for plinking and target shooting, and my price limit is about $1,000. I understand that if I wanted it for defense purposes that it could easily be modified for that purpose for less money than buying a whole new $1,500 rifle (as fixes include making sure the receiver extension end-plate has proper staking, buy an "H" buffer, buy a properly tested, staked, constructed bolt carrier group (BCG) with the proper extractor insert, etc). It is with that in mind that I was wondering what kind of reliable rifle I can get for just plinking and target shooting. Also, what would be a good barrel length and cost effective caliber to use for these needs? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TwoHandRevy; 10-11-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #129

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A standard length Bushmaster AR in .223 will do nicely for plinking and general shooting. Runs usually around 800 dollars.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHandRevy View Post
I guess I should explain what I want the AR for and what I am willing to spend on it first huh? I plan on using the AR mainly for plinking and target shooting, and my price limit is about $1,000. I understand that if I wanted it for defense purposes that it could easily be modified for that purpose for less money than buying a whole new $1,500 rifle (as fixes include making sure the receiver extension end-plate has proper staking, buy an "H" buffer, buy a properly tested, staked, constructed bolt carrier group (BCG) with the proper extractor insert, etc). It is with that in mind that I was wondering what kind of reliable rifle I can get for just plinking and target shooting. Also, what would be a good barrel length and cost effective caliber to use for these needs? Thanks in advance.
Okay, you have definitely been doing some reading.

For $1,000 - there are a tons of parts kits that could build you a great AR.

One member here recently built a 16" AR for less than $700. Check out his thread and see what you think.

Now, for ammo, if you build a 5.56mm chambered model, there are .22lr kits that you can get to safely and cheaply spend the days at the range without breaking the bank out of the same, exact unit. Always a nice way to get familiar with the unit & it's operation.

Since you have been doing some reading, what are your thoughts?

A 16" is good close range works.

A 20" is better for longer ranges, like 500+ yards.

There are plenty of members here who would be more than willing to help you with your build.

Welcome to the Forum, and Welcome to the wonderful world of the Black Rifle...

JD