Let's End The AR BS! - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Let's End The AR BS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ok thanks now only about 2 weeks till I can finnish my lower (so many ideas/ wants/ needs / and such..... so littel pay check) and I may swing getting a most of an upper at the same time.....

Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy. - Rudy Giuliani

Knowing is half the battle. The other half is VIOLENCE.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old 10-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #112

ok as I have to much time on my hands..... I was looking at the upper/bolt and carier here: http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html and was wondering 2 things 1. is that all I need to finnish an upper? and 2. with such good prices I have to ask, has anyone bought from them and are they really

Quote:
Rest assured, these are Top Tier ROCK SOLID QUALITY
?
Thanks

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #113

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin24000 View Post
ok as I have to much time on my hands..... I was looking at the upper/bolt and carier here: http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html and was wondering 2 things 1. is that all I need to finnish an upper? and 2. with such good prices I have to ask, has anyone bought from them and are they really ?
Thanks
dont forget the charging handle

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #114

Knew I was forgeting something.... Thanks

Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #115

I could use the advice of Dillinger and other experienced AR builders -

Budget - 800.00 or less

Style of use - medium to long range accuracy, primarily this will be my SHTF weapon. I'm purchasing a Beretta CX-4 to serve as my CQB weapon, this one will be for defending the perimeter. I plan to use optics including a night vision setup ideally one which can be easily compounded w/ a duty scope or swapped out depending on the need at that time.

I plan to design and machine various parts to upgrade and customize the weapon. This is in part to educate myself on gun smithing, part hobby and maybe to end up with a very high-end / customized level of performance for the total cost. I don't expect to end up with a Sabre for bargain shelf cost but who knows?

Ammo - I'm open to ideas on this one. Affordable, relatively easy to obtain and lethal assuming my accuracy on the AR matches my bolt action experience.

I haven't caught mention of anyone using multiple uppers - is the lower on an AR-15 specific to the upper it's made for?

I need to purchase the full kit and necessary tools to build and maintain - I'd appreciate the group's advice based on the parameters I've listed.
Thanks,
IT

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #116

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech View Post

Budget - 800.00 or less

Style of use - medium to long range accuracy, primarily this will be my SHTF weapon. I'm purchasing a Beretta CX-4 to serve as my CQB weapon, this one will be for defending the perimeter. I plan to use optics including a night vision setup ideally one which can be easily compounded w/ a duty scope or swapped out depending on the need at that time.

I plan to design and machine various parts to upgrade and customize the weapon. This is in part to educate myself on gun smithing, part hobby and maybe to end up with a very high-end / customized level of performance for the total cost. I don't expect to end up with a Sabre for bargain shelf cost but who knows?

Ammo - I'm open to ideas on this one. Affordable, relatively easy to obtain and lethal assuming my accuracy on the AR matches my bolt action experience.

I haven't caught mention of anyone using multiple uppers - is the lower on an AR-15 specific to the upper it's made for?

I need to purchase the full kit and necessary tools to build and maintain - I'd appreciate the group's advice based on the parameters I've listed.
Thanks,
IT
check out my AR-15 thread in my sig

it should give you some ideas
and the lower is not just specific for that one upper
you can use it with any upper...as long as its for an AR-15
and your budget is almost perfect seeing how i built mine ~$700

Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #117

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
and the lower is not just specific for that one upper
you can use it with any upper...as long as its for an AR-15
Very close my young PadWan.

The lower can be used with any upper in a category of cases ( .22lr or even 6.5 Grendel ), but it can't be used for ANY upper.

I assume junho is refering to the AR-10, as the cartridges are larger and would not work with an AR-15 lower.

Just want to clarify.

JD

Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #118

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Very close my young PadWan.

The lower can be used with any upper in a category of cases ( .22lr or even 6.5 Grendel ), but it can't be used for ANY upper.

I assume junho is refering to the AR-10, as the cartridges are larger and would not work with an AR-15 lower.

Just want to clarify.

JD
hahaha
woops thats what i meant

thanks JD

Old 10-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech View Post
I appreciate the shout out brother, but there are a lot of knowledgable people here. I am NO EXPERT and never claimed to be. I am just trying to do my part to get Black Rifles into good homes.

Quote:
Budget - 800.00 or less
Definitely do able as long as you aren't including optics in that budget. If you are, it might be a little harder because parts or going up in price with the election looking.

Quote:
Style of use - medium to long range accuracy, primarily this will be my SHTF weapon. this one will be for defending the perimeter. I plan to use optics including a night vision setup ideally one which can be easily compounded w/ a duty scope or swapped out depending on the need at that time.
Probably going to take some ribbing for this. Some of the folks around here are pretty hard on the "at home night vision SHTF" planning. Night Vision is expensive, so keep that in mind. Several heads up sight makers have NV capable units though, so there is no reason you couldn't plan for a full blown future build out.

Quote:
I plan to design and machine various parts to upgrade and customize the weapon. This is in part to educate myself on gun smithing, part hobby and maybe to end up with a very high-end / customized level of performance for the total cost.
Good for you. Once you get into the workings of the rifle, you will see that there isn't much mystery to it and that it really is a neat concept that is easy to work on. I think if you have a tinkerers mind, you will find it interesting.

Quote:
5.56mm - You can fire the civilian .223 from the same chamber safely ( conventional wisdom ) and it's available in every sporting goods store, police station, military ammo bunker in a true SHTF situation. Lethality isn't the best, but you won't be bound by the Hague, so you can use hollowpoints which will help. Multiple rounds will definitely put some Space Zombies down, assuming your accuracy is good.

Quote:
Thanks,
IT
I think I addressed this in the PM you sent me, but if you are unclear, the lower can be assembled with basic around the house hand tools. The only real specific tool you would need is a carbine wrench if you wanted to install one of the 6 position ( or like kind ) collapsible stocks. The upper is a bit trickier, but not at all out of the range of the average guy with basic tool skills.

Best of luck and welcome to the Black Rifle Family.

JD

Old 10-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #120

Wow! That is a pretty good price Slo. You are the master of the internet deal.

Thanks for posting!

JD