Lets compare shall we
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Lets compare shall we

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lets compare shall we

Okay screw my last post. im trying to compare the ar-57 to the 223. pros and cons. I dont know much about ar's so im looking for any info thats out there.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3585 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Please check my response to your first post.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you plan to use the AR for large game you will need to up the ante to at minimum, the AR-10.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im not a big hunter. What do you mean by big game?

Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

You might get better info if you post 1 thread with questions rather than 3 within minutes of each other. Just saying...

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

what is this 57 we speak of is it the fn5.7??
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The FN 5.7 is a very small, very fast moving round with very little recoil. While this application is ideal for small hands, small stature types in a pistol configuration, it's tragic in the world of an AR usage log.

It's too small and provides too little wound cavity to be truly useful against anything but varmints, small birds and perhaps cats. The small, fast moving round would be ideal for punching through tough hide, but wouldn't do much once it got inside.

My initial thought is that the round would punch through the animal completely, leaving a moderate wound channel ( at best ) and would lead you on a track and stalk for a ways before it died a slow and painful death from fluid in the lungs or something like that. Either way, the adrenaline would be coursing through the meat, which isn't exactly leaving you with a Michelin 5 Star meat for the cooking.

Now, for a pistol to carry, I don't think the round can be discounted because it will definitely mess up a male sized attacker and the ability to put multiple rounds on target in a hurry because of the very low recoil would be a huge bonus.

Ammo is expensive. You are looking at $0.38/$0.45 a round and the AR platform is really built around the plan to shoot it quite a bit. Add to that the fun factor of shooting one and your budget just went up again.

.223/5.56mm can be had cheaper, it is WAY more readily available and it's got a much better application for up to "mid sized" game.

JD

Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

your joking right?

The reloadable 22mag (FN 5.7) is nothing but a farce. It is just shy of worthless in my book.