Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > lessons learned--optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Default lessons learned--optics

Over the years, I tried a number of optics on paramilitary rifles.

Every "el cheapo" I've bought was a mistake.

I am now firmly convinced that if I need a RDS for a fighting rifle, I will hold off and save up my money. For a RDS it will be an Aimpoint or EOTech. For a scope it will be an A.C.O.G.

There are many less expensive optics out there, but I will save for a while and get the best.

If I should ever (God forbid_) need to use the rifle for serious social shooting, these are far cheaper than a night in the emergency room or a funeral.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 128 Times on 88 Posts

I went with the eo 512 because of AA batteries main reason was 1 moa dot with 65 moa circle.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1806 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

locutus,

I would also agree with HMH the model 512 EOTech is a good unit. I would suggest using Industrial AA Batteries in it. And one thing that people always complain about them. My battery went dead and I did not know why. Here is the scoop! If you look at the Reticle in the EOTech when you turn it on (Immediately when you turn it on!) it will warn you for ever that the batteries are going dead for hours. It has a 20% battery warning system in it. How it works is when you first turn it on if the batteries have 20% or less of service life left the Reticle will flash 5 times every time you turn the unit on until the 20% life has expired. The problem is the guys and gals start them in the low ready position and by the time they pull them up to eye level or look at the Reticle the warning has already stopped the notification and the Reticle is on solid again for service. Just a helpful hint! I also like them because in reality your eye can only detect an object of 1 MOA in size at 100 yards. Actually in reality the dot on the EOTech is 1/3 MOA but looks like 1 MOA to the eye as explained above. That is why when you put a 3X Magnifier on with the EOTech you still see the one MOA Reticle in the center. And it does not cover up any more target surface. You can also use the 65 MOA Ring for leads and other reasons like close in shots. Info only! Good luck on what ever you chooses.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Goos info, sniper03.

And even heeding your advice, I still cannot for the life of me understand anyone taking the field with ANY battery operated piece of equipment and failing to carry spare batteries.

Even with the newer Aimpoints that have 5 year battery life, I wouldn't take the field without a spare battery.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #5

Liked 178 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I agree with using quality. I have an eotech 512 on my del-ton ar. I have a burris 3x9 on my mini-14, 30-06, and 243. You get what you pay for.