Legality question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Legality question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6766 Times on 3697 Posts
Likes Given: 13343

NRA members can use the attorney referral program.

image-1956604710.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never ask a LEO for their interpretation of the laws. They will all give different answers.

Consult a Lawyer.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 846 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I think he means you shouldn't get legal advice from a beat cop. You should contact the State Police administrative office.
An LEO is NOT trained in the finer points of the law.

Even lawyer have trouble with it.

I'll give you a personal example. MI laws are at best screwy. I've heard some incredible LEO interpretations that would be thrown out of court with 1st year law students defending. But even better, my own personal attorney, who I will NEVER consult for a 2A case, is a nearby towns prosecutor. We got into a discussion one day about LEO's and he showed me his training presentation... I found a HUGE, but obscure mistake in his training program. So here an attorney is training LEO on what they can arrest people for, and he's made a mistake.

Co-Worker's brother worked for a local dept, and absolutely insisted their "local" firearm law was legal. Funny thing, I tipped off a state organization, who sent a registered letter to the chief of police, who consulted their attorney, and they replied to the organization stating their officer's (not identified) opinion was not correct and they would begin training their officers on that specific law.

I got into a rather interesting discussion with a sgt in my own small town over the city writing tickets on something they were wrong on. He absolutely insisted they were right. State law was very clear on the subject. Friend of mine received a ticket for this "violation", and I tipped him off on the resource I had dug up. Judge threw it out, and they stopped writing tickets on this particular infraction. BTW, this is the same sgt that told me that alcohol should be banned and us peasants shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

So no, never ever ask an LEO for legal advice. Ask the guy who will be standing next to you addressing the judge.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can not speak for NY or MI laws or LEO's, but as a LEO in Texas I will give the same advice as above. Consult an attorney in your area.

Laws are some times very clear and other times open to interpretation. Most of the time with 2A questions they are unclear. Because of this each situation is different and even more one LEO may interpret the same circumstances differently than another depending on his training. And to add to the already confusing stack of laws, a huge factor in an LEO's decisions and interpretations is his departments policy.

And a side note for the Sgt in MI that believes everyone should be disarmed, he can go kick rocks! My partner made a traffic stop on a speeding vehicle and before making contact was notified the occupants of that vehicle were just involved in a robbery and were armed. Long story short a civilian with a concealed handgun license help my partner keep the suspects on the ground at gun point until we could get there to back him up.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #15

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Why bad? Maybe because they wouldn't want me to have another AR?
Yep. That about sums it up.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin