Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Lefty 300 Blackout? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lefty-300-blackout-87409/)

drtybrd97 03-25-2013 10:33 PM

Lefty 300 Blackout?

I'm a bit of an oddball(aren't we all); I'm right handed, left eye dominant and shoot rifles left handed. I have been hunting since I was 12 and I do not own an AR style rifle but am considering looking into one in the future. I would like to use it mainly for hunting whitetail but would like to have other uppers for playing.

I am having some trouble trying to find a left handed AR that's chambered in 300 AAC. I have seen only a that Stag makes any uppers in left hand versions. Don't think they are making one in 300 though. I'm used to shooting right handed rifles wrong (lol) but if I'm going to get my first AR I want it to fit me perfectly.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes one or that is going to make a wrong handed 300? Also who would I get the lefty uppers from other than Stag. As I said before this AR stuff is new to me so any recommendations would be great.

Thanks ahead of time,
Drty

Sniper03 03-25-2013 11:15 PM

drtybrd.

What your are asking for is not at all impossible! But a little difficult at the present due to the unbelievable demand on parts. RRA does make a completely left handed rifle, lower receiver that is a direct mirrored copy of the right handed models. Stag uses the standard lower Receiver with the left haded upper and lefty bolt carrier group. The ejection port door flips up however instead of down. The Rock River Lefty upper flips down just like the right handed versions. Coming up with the parts at this time is the issue. You could build it yourself. As far a getting a Lefty 300 Black Out, If you just had a Lefty Rifle it can easily be rebarreled to make it a 300 Blackout and then you could sell the 5.56 barrel. Or build it yourself. 300 Black Out Uppers or barrels are available out there. The issue is getting the Lefty Upper Receiver and the Lefty Bolt Carrier Group at the present time. But your project is not impossible.
Good luck and if we can be of any help let us know!

drtybrd97 03-26-2013 11:39 AM

Thank you! Are Stag and RRA quality manufacturers? I don't know much about either one.

Also how hard is it to rebarrel an upper? I've worked on my hunting rifles and never really had any problem (thanks to YouTube). I think I could probably handle it.

I see 308 versions, would I be better off just going with that instead of the 300?

Sorry I have so many questions.

Drty

Txhillbilly 03-26-2013 11:55 PM

I'm the same as you,RH/Left eye dominant. All of my AR's are right handed,you will have no problems shooting them LH,the brass never comes close to hitting me.

Sniper03 03-27-2013 12:10 AM

Switching gears regarding your 308 cal question. First of all the 308 ballistics overall is better than the 300 Blackout.
It was basically designed in the beginning as an entry caliber rifle which would be suppressed. And yes, with a can and the correct ammunition you can not believe how quiet the 300 is. We did some testing in Texas last year and for that it was amazing. But in no way actually compares to the 308. The other things to consider is the 308 AR Rifles are much heavier than the AR-15s. So with that said the 300 Blackout would obviously be a lighter AR Rifle. Changing a barrel on the AR Rifle is a piece of cake. I do several every month. Rock River Arms and Stag Arms are two of the highest quality AR Manufacturers in the industry. In addition the owner of Stag Arms father owns a machine company who makes receivers for around 10 other manufacturers in the industry. Meaning they all come from the same place. It is what the manufacture does with them regarding prep and finishing that makes them different. Other great AR Manufacturers are LMT, Spikes Tactical, Daniel Defense and Barrett for example. But you could never go wrong with RRA or Stag with going or obtaining any of their Left Receivers, Bolt Carriers and other parts.

drtybrd97 03-27-2013 01:30 AM

Thanks guys!

ARs I know nothing about so this is a learning experience. I went to a lgs today and picked up a Rock River but no Stag. He was trying to talk me into the 308. He brought up the fact that finding 300 ammo will be a pain.

I've been contemplating starting from scratch and building one from the ground up. Thanks again for the advice! This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Drty

Txhillbilly 03-28-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drtybrd97 (Post 1192093)
Thanks guys!

ARs I know nothing about so this is a learning experience. I went to a lgs today and picked up a Rock River but no Stag. He was trying to talk me into the 308. He brought up the fact that finding 300 ammo will be a pain.

I've been contemplating starting from scratch and building one from the ground up. Thanks again for the advice! This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Drty

Just so you know,the AR10 type platforms are not like the AR15 platform. You need to do some research into each brand to see what accessories will work with each brand.
I'm a big fan of Rock River,but the LAR-8 platform will only work with accessories made for it,and it uses FAL type magazines.
Armalite,makes 2 different styles of AR10 lowers,so you need to look at what your wanting.
DPMS,Is what I went with on an AR10 type platform.They offered a bigger selection of calibers,and there's a bigger selection of aftermarket parts that can be added to them.

With the AR10's,you just can't mix and match parts from one brand to another.

drtybrd97 03-28-2013 03:34 AM

Thanks TX. That's a big help. I'm thinking 308 is a better option but I'll look into what else fits on the lee and see if that is a viable option. I'll check on DPMS. I've heard good things about them.
Drty