Left hander question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Left hander question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Left hander question

This is my first post on your forum, so first I'd like to say g'day. Secondly, I'd like to thank you guys, because your passion (or sickness, lol) for EBRs has made me want to make my own rifle.

So, down to buisness. I've recently gotten my hands on a stripped lower, and a RRA lpk, and im looking at getting a stag upper (yes, I know its gonna take 13 1/2 years to get to me, lol) My question is this---I'm left handed, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ to buy a left handed stag upper? Thanks in advance guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum Aggro -

Being a second generation Southpaw myself, I can sympathize, but my old man was smart enough to train me early on to shoot right handed, so I got lucky.

When you shoot rifles, do you shoot custom LH models, or do you shoot RH models from the left?

Have you shot a RH AR before? Did the brass ejection bother you?

There are several LH forum members, so I would imagine the guys will be by to offer their ideas...

JD

Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks JD.

Unfortunatly I have very limited rifle experience. I have 7-8 months of firearm experince, the majority of which has been with handguns, so I don't have enough experience to know whether a right hand ejection port will be a problem or not. The few rifles I have shot have all been RH models, and during those brief episodes, I don't remember having any problems. I'm not a real beefy guy, so there isn't a whole lot of me for the hot brass to hit, if that makes a difference. I'm just wondering, because as expensive and hard-to-find as the Obamination has made AR's I don't want to make the wrong choice. Are there any lefties who could give me personal experience?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I've only shot an AR once, but I didn't have any problems with it. No brass in my face or down my shirt. I always shoot left handed. I think that maybe the problems shooting left handed are overexaggerated.

9x18=Makarov

Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #5

i can shoot rh and lh and never had a issue with the brass flying and hitting me.. i honestly dont see the issue with lh shooting a rh rifle..

Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First realize that the Stag LH upper is only going to give you left-side eject and left-side forward assist. Other controls will remain standard unless you add upgraded parts.

My best friend is left-handed and has a department issued rifle. Before getting the department gun he was considering getting a Stag LH model. After shooting the department gun he, like others here, has no issues with the right-side ejection, and doesn't see the left-side eject as a priority anymore.

Here are some other ideas to consider for a leftie though:

Badger Ordinance Ambidextrous Charging Handle

Ambidextrous Safety. This one by DPMS is available at Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

AMBI-CATCH from Buffer Tech - Home Page

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggro Australian View Post
Thanks JD.

Unfortunatly I have very limited rifle experience. I have 7-8 months of firearm experince, the majority of which has been with handguns, so I don't have enough experience to know whether a right hand ejection port will be a problem or not. The few rifles I have shot have all been RH models, and during those brief episodes, I don't remember having any problems. I'm not a real beefy guy, so there isn't a whole lot of me for the hot brass to hit, if that makes a difference. I'm just wondering, because as expensive and hard-to-find as the Obamination has made AR's I don't want to make the wrong choice. Are there any lefties who could give me personal experience?
I shoot left, too, and own a regular Stag RH model and there are no problems with flying hot brass. In general, I haven't had problems -- whether it's an AR or something else.

Bullpups with the ejection port right beside my face is another matter....

Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #8

Much appreciation for the input guys. I'm just gonna go with the RH model, and then when the money tree recovers, I'll add ambi saftey, mag release, etc. My stripped lower should get here soon, and I already have the LPK and stock assembly, so I'll start putting her together hear pretty soon hopefully. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

AA,I'm right handed,but left eye dominant and have always shot left handed. Every semi auto rifle I own is right handed and they do not bother me with the brass ejecting from them,nor have I ever had any hit me in the face with the exception of an old M16 that I fired once,but it didn't have a brass deflector cast into the upper reciever like all do today.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I'm a lefty but because my dad was right handed and he is the one who taught me to shoot, I shoot right handed. I actually find it slightly more difficult to shoot left handed. I doubt if I were to shoot my AR left handed I would have any trouble because my rifle places all the empty brass in a 1 square foot area and that is straight out at a 90 degree angle from the ejection port. I also shoot pistols right handed but can fire them from my left hand.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380