Left handed AR-15 and ammo help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Left handed AR-15 and ammo help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Left handed AR-15 and ammo help

I am considering the Stag Arms Model 3L with the Plus Package (1/7 twist and magnet tested). It is a basic model so I can add my own sights and rail gadgets ( just a grip ). I am considering the Magpul ACS stock---I like the thickness of the cheek weld. Also the Isralie Spec Forces pistol grip on Mako website or a Hogue grip. Maybe a mako magwell grip instead of a foregrip. It will be home defense and fun every now again. What ammo is good? I imagine brass is better. Heavy rounds to-- thus the 1/7 twist and home defense. Is it much better than a 1/9 twist? I like the lifetime warranty too for original purchasers too! Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

[quotewwrq="Southpaw-15"]I am considering the Stag Arms Model 3L with the Plus Package (1/7 twist and magnet tested). It is a basic model so I can add my own sights and rail gadgets ( just a grip ). I am considering the Magpul ACS stock---I like the thickness of the cheek weld. Also the Isralie Spec Forces pistol grip on Mako website or a Hogue grip. Maybe a mako magwell grip instead of a foregrip. It will be home defense and fun every now again. What ammo is good? I imagine brass is better. Heavy rounds to-- thus the 1/7 twist and home defense. Is it much better than a 1/9 twist? I like the lifetime warranty too for original purchasers too! Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Since you're going Magpul w/ the stock why not go w/ it for the grip and skip the magwell grip thing. If you like the ACS you'll really like the STR.

A lot of guys like Hornaday TAP.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-16-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6336 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 5919

I agree with mjkeat on the Hornady TAP. Excellent round. Used extensively by law enforcement.

Plain old M193 ball is also an excellent defense round. The bullet will usually break apart at the cannulure on contact with something soft like tissue, and tumble. This increases wounding potential and decreases penetration.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #4

Since you're going Magpul w/ the stock why not go w/ it for the grip and skip the magwell grip thing. If you like the ACS you'll really like the STR.

A lot of guys like Hornaday TAP.[/QUOTE]

Are magpul grips rubbery feeling? I like the texture/feel. I am going to look up the str. Can I buy hornady cheaper online probably? Any sites? Thnx

Old 03-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It seems like somebody out there in plasticpartsland would make a rail mounted pistol grip packaged with a side-mountable optic for a flat-top AR that would allow a leftie to simply turn their AR upside down for safer shooting.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
It seems like somebody out there in plasticpartsland would make a rail mounted pistol grip packaged with a side-mountable optic for a flat-top AR that would allow a leftie to simply turn their AR upside down for safer shooting.
Not funny...ok maybe a little!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

Bahahahaha! That's funny

Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw-15

A lot of guys like Hornaday TAP.
Are magpul grips rubbery feeling? I like the texture/feel. I am going to look up the str. Can I buy hornady cheaper online probably? Any sites? Thnx[/QUOTE]

You can get a rubber over molded K grip.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."