Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Left handed AR-15 and ammo help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/left-handed-ar-15-ammo-help-60347/)

Southpaw-15 03-16-2012 03:55 AM

Left handed AR-15 and ammo help

I am considering the Stag Arms Model 3L with the Plus Package (1/7 twist and magnet tested). It is a basic model so I can add my own sights and rail gadgets ( just a grip ). I am considering the Magpul ACS stock---I like the thickness of the cheek weld. Also the Isralie Spec Forces pistol grip on Mako website or a Hogue grip. Maybe a mako magwell grip instead of a foregrip. It will be home defense and fun every now again. What ammo is good? I imagine brass is better. Heavy rounds to-- thus the 1/7 twist and home defense. Is it much better than a 1/9 twist? I like the lifetime warranty too for original purchasers too! Thanks in advance.

mjkeat 03-16-2012 04:43 AM

[quotewwrq="Southpaw-15"]I am considering the Stag Arms Model 3L with the Plus Package (1/7 twist and magnet tested). It is a basic model so I can add my own sights and rail gadgets ( just a grip ). I am considering the Magpul ACS stock---I like the thickness of the cheek weld. Also the Isralie Spec Forces pistol grip on Mako website or a Hogue grip. Maybe a mako magwell grip instead of a foregrip. It will be home defense and fun every now again. What ammo is good? I imagine brass is better. Heavy rounds to-- thus the 1/7 twist and home defense. Is it much better than a 1/9 twist? I like the lifetime warranty too for original purchasers too! Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Since you're going Magpul w/ the stock why not go w/ it for the grip and skip the magwell grip thing. If you like the ACS you'll really like the STR.

A lot of guys like Hornaday TAP.

locutus 03-16-2012 06:20 PM

I agree with mjkeat on the Hornady TAP. Excellent round. Used extensively by law enforcement.

Plain old M193 ball is also an excellent defense round. The bullet will usually break apart at the cannulure on contact with something soft like tissue, and tumble. This increases wounding potential and decreases penetration.

Southpaw-15 03-17-2012 12:19 AM

Since you're going Magpul w/ the stock why not go w/ it for the grip and skip the magwell grip thing. If you like the ACS you'll really like the STR.

A lot of guys like Hornaday TAP.[/QUOTE]

Are magpul grips rubbery feeling? I like the texture/feel. I am going to look up the str. Can I buy hornady cheaper online probably? Any sites? Thnx

orangello 03-17-2012 12:23 AM

It seems like somebody out there in plasticpartsland would make a rail mounted pistol grip packaged with a side-mountable optic for a flat-top AR that would allow a leftie to simply turn their AR upside down for safer shooting.
;)

Southpaw-15 03-17-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello
It seems like somebody out there in plasticpartsland would make a rail mounted pistol grip packaged with a side-mountable optic for a flat-top AR that would allow a leftie to simply turn their AR upside down for safer shooting.
;)

Not funny...ok maybe a little!

DKEnterprises 03-17-2012 01:12 AM

Bahahahaha! That's funny

mjkeat 03-17-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw-15

A lot of guys like Hornaday TAP.

Are magpul grips rubbery feeling? I like the texture/feel. I am going to look up the str. Can I buy hornady cheaper online probably? Any sites? Thnx[/QUOTE]

You can get a rubber over molded K grip.