Lee loader finially figured out
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lee loader finially figured out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Lee loader finially figured out

Well it took me a week to get the Lee master loader set up and pumping out 223 shells . Well not an entire week, but almost ! Every afternoon after work and between my autistic daughters needs and my wife's honeydoos I got it going. WOW I had no ideas how much difference what a .5 grain would make. I started out with my Smith & Wesson Ar with a 1 to 8 riffling with a 16in barell. I started out at 20 gr of H335 with a 55 gr FMJ /bt and Cci primers .The spread was about 3in at 50 yds. Not too good so I went up to 22. and cut it in half ,then went to 24gr and had a 1 moa at 50 . I hit the sweet spot at 24.5 with holes touching each other. It started spreading out past that at 25 grains ,it was back to a 3 in spread . The auto disk sucks I was getting a wide range of throws. I wrapped dryer sheets around the powder holder, ran graphite thru it , ran a pound of H335 thru it and it still was in inconsistent on its throws. I just started weighing on my digital and gave up on the auto disk . I orderd a Different lee powder dispenser that's supposed to be on the money , but we will see. I would recommend if your going to buy a progressive loader go ahead and spend the money for a better quality one. I'm not slamming Lee it will work fine for my needs ,but if I had it to do over ,I would get the RCB. Now I have three more Ar-15s that are a 1 to 9 twist to figure out best loads for, So I expect to be busy for the next few weeks.any advice would be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2750 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

ribbs,

As you are finding reloading is great! You can develope that special load for each rifle. And even compete one load against the other. It can become addicting. I use to be a High Power Bench Rest Shooter. When I got 5 rounds of ammunition that shot exceptional well I even kept those 5 cases together until I needed to replace them due to cracking and etc. The best money I ever spent was for a Lyman Model 1200 Powder Despensor. The thing is fantastic and saves me a lot of time. Takes the pain out of powder measuring.
Happy Reloading!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy