Laws with lowers. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Laws with lowers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

I think he may need to have a manufacturing ffl to do that. I may be wrong though since I know very little about ffls.
They do put guns together in house so I assume they have one. Good point though I could see that may being an issue.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am an Oklahoma resident who has been working in south Texas. Earlier in the year I attempted to buy a stripped lower, I was informed that you had to be over 21 and a state resident in order buy one. A few weeks later, I went to a second gun dealer and explained the situation. He told me that he could sell me a complete lower, since it would have a stock. He pulled an AR off of the shelf that he had assembled with a Spikes lower, popped the upper off of it, and offered it to me for $275. When he called in the background check, he was informed that he was not allowed to sell me the lower, stripped or completed. They would only approve the sale of a complete rifle.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalolake
I am an Oklahoma resident who has been working in south Texas. Earlier in the year I attempted to buy a stripped lower, I was informed that you had to be over 21 and a state resident in order buy one. A few weeks later, I went to a second gun dealer and explained the situation. He told me that he could sell me a complete lower, since it would have a stock. He pulled an AR off of the shelf that he had assembled with a Spikes lower, popped the upper off of it, and offered it to me for $275. When he called in the background check, he was informed that he was not allowed to sell me the lower, stripped or completed. They would only approve the sale of a complete rifle.
Wow interesting I will just wait until my store gets some lowers in so he can assemble it for me so I do not run into any problems with ordering one and being stuck with it but not being able to use it

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6578 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell0892 View Post
Wow interesting I will just wait until my store gets some lowers in so he can assemble it for me so I do not run into any problems with ordering one and being stuck with it but not being able to use it
That's a good idea. I'd tell him what lower and stock/buffer tube you were wanting for it, and have him order them. He could then assemble it and sell it to you. If I understand the law correctly, this is no different from ordering a custom rifle.

I'd run this by him first. If he has the correct FFLs, then he should know if this is perfectly legal.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Tex- if he is doing a lot of them, that would be for the FFL to have covered with his ATF Industry Inspector. From the point of the buyer, different matter.