Laws with lowers.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Laws with lowers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Laws with lowers.

Just curious I have been hearing a lot of different things and seems there is some gray areas. I understand it that you have to be 21 to buy a stripped lower, however I was talking with local guns store guy about it and he said there was some "gray areas" in that I could order a stripped lower from say spikes or yhm and ship it to him and he could put a buffer tube and stock on it and he could let me pick it up. He also said that since he sales stripped lowers from time to time i could bring my stock and buffer and put it on and buy it. The reason I ask is I am a short distance from being 21 and would like to get one sooner than later. I am in no way trying to do something illegal just trying to understand my options and if this is actually true.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

If it has a serial number it has to be shipped to a FFL -
Don't know about age in all states but buying a modern receiver is the same as buying a complete gun-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 06-27-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9419 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Disclaimer- am NOT a lawyer- I am actually skilled labor- but-

The stripped lower is neither a rifle nor a shotgun. Fed law (18 US Code section 922) says you can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 18. The stripped lower is neither fish nor fowl- it is classed as "other" (Rifles and shotguns are defined as being fired from the shoulder). It COULD be built into pistol or rifle. Once a stock goes on it, it becomes a rifle. It cannot be changed to pistol without doing paperwork with the atf.

Your LGS is trying to look out for you, and keep you legal (and himself out of hot water)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Disclaimer- am NOT a lawyer- I am actually skilled labor- but-

The stripped lower is neither a rifle nor a shotgun. Fed law (18 US Code section 922) says you can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 18. The stripped lower is neither fish nor fowl- it is classed as "other" (Rifles and shotguns are defined as being fired from the shoulder). It COULD be built into pistol or rifle. Once a stock goes on it, it becomes a rifle. It cannot be changed to pistol without doing paperwork with the atf.

Your LGS is trying to look out for you, and keep you legal (and himself out of hot water)
I understand but is it legal for me to order a stripped lower and him put my stock on there and then give me the lower or for me to buy a stripped lower from him after he puts my own stock on it.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Powell, i am not being sarcastic, but if you're a short ways from 21, just wait until then, and it wiil be irrelevent. C3 is correct. a stripped lower or reciever is termed "other". when i purchased my Remington M700 action from Brownells and had it it shipped to my FFL, it was termed, "other". with and AR lower, it can be built either way, and i can see where there could be some confusion. as a rifle and over the age of 18, you're legal, but as a pistol and under 21, you're not. but a stripped lower is a stripped lower. so i am also confused!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
Powell, i am not being sarcastic, but if you're a short ways from 21, just wait until then, and it wiil be irrelevent. C3 is correct. a stripped lower or reciever is termed "other". when i purchased my Remington M700 action from Brownells and had it it shipped to my FFL, it was termed, "other". with and AR lower, it can be built either way, and i can see where there could be some confusion. as a rifle and over the age of 18, you're legal, but as a pistol and under 21, you're not. but a stripped lower is a stripped lower. so i am also confused!
Haha I understand I have been thinking that may be best then I don't have to worry about a darn thing cause it's so confusing

Old 06-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9419 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
is it legal for me to order a stripped lower
Yes- just not legal to transfer it to you AS A STRIPPED LOWER. It will need to be shipped TO a FFL. If the FFL adds the stock, and THEN records the transfer as Rifle, you would be legal.

Once again- your local gun shop is giving you righteous info.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell0892 View Post
Haha I understand I have been thinking that may be best then I don't have to worry about a darn thing cause it's so confusing
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yes- just not legal to transfer it to you AS A STRIPPED LOWER. It will need to be shipped TO a FFL. If the FFL adds the stock, and THEN records the transfer as Rifle, you would be legal.
Powell, C3 seems to have it nailed down pretty good.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Once again- your local gun shop is giving you righteous info.
Sounds great thank you. Just makes me comfortable to hear more than one person tell me that its legal as I would like to stay away from any trouble! Once again thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell0892 View Post
I understand but is it legal for me to order a stripped lower and him put my stock on there and then give me the lower or for me to buy a stripped lower from him after he puts my own stock on it.
I think he may need to have a manufacturing ffl to do that. I may be wrong though since I know very little about ffls.