Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > last shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default last shot

my last shot hold open isn't working for some reason. It will hold open if I do it manually so I know the mechanism is functioning, I just don't know why it's not doing it when I'm firing it until empty. It's ejecting fully so far as I can tell, brass deflector has a thin line and I haven't had any ejection issues I thought maybe it was a lubrication issue but it's still doing it after I took it apart, cleaned it, and lubricated it really well.

Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1806 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Tactical,

Lets Diagnose the problem:
I know you stated you lubricated the parts well but I will include it in the below information also!

I presume you are speaking of an AR-15? First of all good lubrication is a must! With a good lubricant notice I did not say grease! Breakfree, G-96 or other good quality lube! The Bolt Carrier and Bolt should look a little wet at all times! Secondly, try some other full power ammunition! If that is not it try a New Magazine (of quality since there is a lot of junk on the market!) Has this just started happening? Is it happening with one certain magazine or all magazines? When it happens to start *Mark the Magazine/s and see if it happens again with this same magazine/s. If it does you may have diagnosed your problem! "The Magazine/s". if the New one works! The magazine is the number one cause of this problem followed by improper lubrication, followed by ammunition. If the rifle has always done this we can fix that also but try proper lubrication, ammunition and then a new Mag first and we will go to the other possible fix later if that is the needed! One other thing have you changed the stock on it to a different full stock?
Since the rifle is ejecting and loading correctly it should not be a short stroke problem other than the possibility of under powered ammunition.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-14-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

number one cause of fail to lockback on last shot are those BAD levers like this

there is a reason they are called BAD levers...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
there is a reason they are called BAD levers...
So far mine's been perfectly GOOD. But if that's causing even occasional lockback failures...that's a severe problem since it specifically defies the purpose of this little accessory.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

I have only seen 1 that works 100% and its a Phase5 tactical, its all one piece . Nothing to bolt on or get in the way and cause issues.
I just use the standard bolt release ,Im not into all that stuff on my rifles

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do have a B.A.D. lever, it doesn't seem like it would cause any problems though unless there is some resistance issue with them since when the bolt locks back the paddle is out. It doesn't seem heavy enough to cause interference with the follower in the magazine but I will try taking it off and checking, it has been on there since day one and my first time out shooting it was way too excited to pay much attention to things like that since most of my time was spent doing mag dumps and just enjoying the hell out of the fresh build. As for the other possibilities, all the magazines are either brand new or fairly new pmags either gen2 or gen3 windowed, my cousin can fire them from his with my ammo and has no issues. I use CLP break free lube and made sure to thoroughly disassemble and lube it with fresh lube after I did my initial assembly and fired about 10 mags out of it.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Its the bad lever.

The weight slows the lock time of the bolt hold open. You can order a bunch of bolt catch springs and keep trying one till you get one with enough strength to operate the catch fast enough with the lever installed (pot luck). Or take it off and ebay it.

I learned aboit bad levers straight from the techs at bcm when i sent my carbine in for this problem. Got a call from them and had a 20 minute talk about how the mag catch functions and what the bad lever does and why it should never be placed on a ar15.

Some will function fine with one some wont its just whether yoir bolt catch spring is strong enough or not

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...