Larue Tatical

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Larue Tatical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Larue Tatical

I am wondering what the consensus is on Larue Tatical uppers and lowers. I know they are super expensive, but are they some of the best?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

A receiver is a receiver, for the most part. Ordering one from Larue Tactical isn't going to make you a SUPER AR. It's probably, on scale, 10% better than anything else on the market that isn't from another name brand company ( Les Baer, Sabre Defense, D & L Sports ).

Is it "better"? Maybe, maybe not. Is it going to make your weapon any better than one that was put together by someone who knows what they are doing and what it takes to make the damn thing run? Probably not.

Is a Larue Tactical full build better than a production line gun like one from the "Tier Two" or "Tier Three" companies? I would say attention to detail would lead towards yes.

If you are building it yourself - the receiver is merely a piece to hold the key components.

It's your money, but I would rather spend it on the parts that REALLY matter as opposed to just a name brand receiver....

JD

Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well put J.D. i would much rather pay for quality than a name brand, and let someone who knows what their doing put it all together, but in this area a "gun smith" is an old drunk who guesses on specs and eyes measurements.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well brother, you can do one of a couple of things.

1) You can order a custom gun from a custom shop, like Larue or Sabre Defense

2) You can go to a couple of competition shoots, even if they are bench rest competitions, and ask around who makes the shooters sticks...

or you can shop around the internet for quality gunsmiths who build a good product for a good price and deliver as ordered.

I happen to know a guy who does that, and he has made plenty of weapons for me - but you should do your own research and see what YOU think as opposed to some guy on an internet forum, even if it's me.

JD

Old 02-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #5

Larue it GTG. Some of the best maching around. A Larue upper is more like to be in spec than most others (Except Colt, Noveske etc). They are pretty expensive compared to say a Stag stripped upper the the main reason is becuase of the different manufacturing process. Larue stealth upper are 100% CNC'd while Stay aka Cerro Forge, Colt, Bushmaster are forged and then the finish maching is done by CNC mill. Also the the coating on a Larue is different than Stag or Colt. They use a more durable finish, it is very possible an Ion bond finish but I am not sure.

Their mounts are THE BEST!

-DM-