Larue Index Clips and new 9/11 takedown pins!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Larue Index Clips and new 9/11 takedown pins!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Holy.... Hell......

So the end result is that I love these things. Getting TO the end result took some effort.

I had read somewhere from a poster that he loved his Index clips, they went on his DD rail fairly easily, but his other AR had a Midwest Industries quadrail and he had to use a rubber mallet to get them on. I was prepared for this, rubber mallet in hand, and I'm sure glad I did. These things are TIGHT on the rail, and that rubber mallet proved its worth during the install. No worries about them falling off!

I had to order two 72 piece sets to get full coverage... I tried just one and it covered every other slot and after handling it I decided to go with two sets for maximum coverage and grip. I put them all on, saving the wire-clip ones for when I get my flashlight, and they feel GREAT! I got so tired of trimming the Magpul ladder rail covers every time I switched out the kit and eventually I had a bunch of smaller pieces and only a section or two of the full segments left. I like the look of the index clips better, the feel is grippy but not too much (someone at Larue did their homework on these), and now I can remove and replace clips as I change things to find my optimal setup.

I also put in the new 9/11 memorial takedown pins today, really enjoy them. I feel there is a little more play than with the stock pins, barely enough to be able to see light through the upper and lower, not big enough to slip a sheet of paper in, but it does feel looser than before.... Which makes me sad. I love the pins, I'll have to see if the little play that is there affects the accuracy any. If so, I'll be switching pins again, maybe the YHM easy takedown pins.

Here are some pics of the rifle as it stands now. This is with the new ACS-L stock, the pins, the index clips, and I switched from the AFG to a VFG because it feels better for me. The end of the bottom rail is left open to accept the QD Harris bipod.

image-1856599519.jpg   image-2866655260.jpg  

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice looking AR I really like the 9/11 pin. Where did you get that?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant
Nice looking AR I really like the 9/11 pin. Where did you get that?
Found them on EBay. Can't remember the seller, but they had a lot of different pins. Some cool stuff, but I came specifically for the 9/11 memorial pins.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Nice upgrades Todd! I also like the 9-11 Never Forget takedown pin.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Nice upgrades Todd! I also like the 9-11 Never Forget takedown pin.
Thanks Quentin!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Your AR looks sexy! I have index clips on my AR. Process of putting them on or off are extremely easy. Honestly i just ordered my 2nd set of index clips last night and got shipping confirmation this afternoon. I thought i was the only index clips fan. Lol

Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

9-11 NEVER FORGET 5.56MM Extended Takedown Pins Front & Rear

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-11-NEVER-FORGET-5-56MM-Extended-Takedown-Pins-Front-Rear-/310370566732

Here is a link for the take down pins.

Pretty sweet AR!

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #8

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=extended+ take+down+pins

There seems to be quite a lot of them to choose from...

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I like the YHM pins ,If you wear gloves its hard to get ahold of a flat edged pin for me the YHM have a edge milled into them .