Is laquer covered okay?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is laquer covered okay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is laquer covered okay?

Hey guys I was just wondering if laquer covered steel cases ammo is okay in my new build?. What are the pros and cons if any?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use surplus ammo in my mosin that is steel coper washed and I don't notice anything wrong but im not an expert.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The early Wolf ammo was lacquer coated and caused a build up in the chamber of some guns when fired rapidly and heating up the barrel. The newer polymer coating is not supposed to cause those problems. There probably is still some lacqer coated stuff out there, I would avoid it for an AR.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I recently bought some TulAmmo as it was really cheap and will be good to practice with , I havent shot any yet but its all russian made like the Wolf however it doesnt have any lacqer on them. I bought 220 rds in boxs of 20 for $55 well I only spent $36 of my own $$ as I had some dicks sporting goods point cash and coupon to spend . They had $6.99 on the shelf but they matched Walmarts price of $4.97 @ box