You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Lapping the upper receiver and loctite on the barrel extension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 678 Times on 412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopfox View Post
I'm on the same page. I figure cleaning up the BE and swapping handguards is good even if I end up changing barrels. At worst, I'm spending $40 on labor for changing the handguard (Im still short on courage and a clamshell holder for the upper, but that will probably change soon). If it helps get me to the 1.5" - 2" range, I can live with it for now.

If it doesnt, I'll eventually buy a matched barrel and bolt, and send the old to eBay. It'll be a 16" or 18" with a heavier profile and either a target crown, or recessed crown.

I took my 16" .308 AR-10 out to the woods on Sunday looking for deer (crop damage permits). I'm missing my 6.8 already. Carrying a treestand, gear, and the AR-10 was a workout in 75+ degrees.
Haha, sounds like a workout. Are your nuisance permits good year round I guess. Did ya get one? Even if ya didn't shoot any maybe you scared a few away, lugging around all that gear!

I'm sure you will but update us on the rifle when you get it back, good luck!

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #22

Liked 642 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Haha, sounds like a workout. Are your nuisance permits good year round I guess. Did ya get one? Even if ya didn't shoot any maybe you scared a few away, lugging around all that gear!

I'm sure you will but update us on the rifle when you get it back, good luck!

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.
Permits are good until hunting season starts on September 30th. I did see 2 bucks. They were bedded 250 yards away from my climber - in the neighbors bean field. It was too quiet for unpressured deer, so I climbed down and stalked 100 yards to the fencerow. I just stood and watched from about 150 yards as the deers stood up in the beans where theyd been bedding, and worked their way North away from me. No snorts, wheezes, running, or whitetails No does or fawns either though. Makes me think the population may not be so thick.

The corn is tall and the woods thick and green. 150 yard or less shooting is the order of the day.
File Type: jpg 20170815_085255.jpg (94.5 KB, 8 views)
“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." G.K. Chesterton
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #23

Liked 3110 Times on 1857 Posts
Likes Given: 5599

I miss nuisance hunting around the family orchard in Ohio. 12-15 permits was what we had, no restrictions on gun types like regular hunting season. We filled a lot of the distant relatives freezers that way in late summer, good times...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!
Shopfox Likes This