lacquer coating versus polymer coating - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > lacquer coating versus polymer coating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Why's that?
I don't like steel cases and you can't reload it. I think it's harder on the chamber and everything that it contacts from the mag to the ramps. The steel is harder then brass and is certainly harder then aluminum if you have an aluminum framed gun. Brass seals better and IMO results in a better round.

I'm not trying to start a debate, these are just my views.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #12

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Actually you can reload steelcase if it has the boxer primer. Probably not worth the extra bother when you can find brass instead - but can be done.

Steel is harder than brass but I don't see the soft steelcase as being much of a problem as far as wear. And even if there was a small difference it would take tens of thousands of rounds to make a real difference. You'd save much more in the cost of the ammo than in repairing the "damage".

Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

There was a great article copied onto one of the forums that dealt with reloading Wolf steel cases. They had very good luck with it.

And I agree about the wear. Minimal, at worst.

I understand people who don't like it or want to use it, though. I will not use it in my M14s.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I don't like steel cases and you can't reload it. I think it's harder on the chamber and everything that it contacts from the mag to the ramps. The steel is harder then brass and is certainly harder then aluminum if you have an aluminum framed gun. Brass seals better and IMO results in a better round.

I'm not trying to start a debate, these are just my views.
I wasn't trying to start a debate. I'm looking to learn something.

I used to not use steel cased ammo in my ARs. Things have changed after noticing many guys using steel cased ammo almost exclusively in their training rifles. One of the guys I speak of probably puts 1k a month or so through his rifles. Theres guys that do more than that. Replacing an extractor every few thousand rounds or so isn't that expensive.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #15

Default Polymer or Lacquer

So, what was the final verdict regarding the original question about steel-cased lacquer or steel-cased polymer? Anyone know the difference between the two? Thanks!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #16

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Either one is all right in most ARs. But it's harder to find lacquer today. Buy a small amount of polymer and give it a try.