Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > lacquer coating versus polymer coating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default lacquer coating versus polymer coating

Bought a thousand round box of Wolf to try in our DPMS ARs. DPMS recommends no lacquer coating but says nothing about the newer polymer coating process. A good source on the internet says that "all ammo produced by Wolf is now polymer coated which solves the problems of the coating melting and sticking to the chamber/bore". The gunsmith at Gander Mtn does not recommend "cheap foreign-made" ammo, but in the same breath said that polymer coating will work ok for me. He recommends a very good cleaning after using cheap ammo. Anyone use Wolf in their DPMS AR.

Protect your home and family, it only takes an ounce or two (or 230 GR)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

the problem is that steel cazsings dont fire-form to chamber size, therefore hot combustion gasses blow-by into the chamber. this fouling heats the polymer or laquer and leaves deposits in the chamber.

The only time you should experience a problem is when running brass after Wolf. The brass will fire-form and expand to the chamber dimensions, thereby being jammed into the chamber by the deposits on the chamber walls.

Doesnt matter if its a DPMS or a Noveske.

I prefer Wolf 62gr in my RRA. cheap, and performs well for me.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 AM   #3

My DPMS M4 needed to be sent back for a 'warranty repair' despite it was me that decided to run cheap lacquer coated ammo through it. I've had misfires, and damaged casings, but this malfunction was impossible to remove. No matter what I tried, this thing was stuck. I have to admit, DPMS didn't have to do a thing for me and they helped me out for no charge. That's good customer service! I haven't run anything but brass cased ammo since then and there have been zero issues.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverMN View Post
My DPMS M4 needed to be sent back for a 'warranty repair' despite it was me that decided to run cheap lacquer coated ammo through it. I've had misfires, and damaged casings, but this malfunction was impossible to remove. No matter what I tried, this thing was stuck. I have to admit, DPMS didn't have to do a thing for me and they helped me out for no charge. That's good customer service! I haven't run anything but brass cased ammo since then and there have been zero issues.
It was probably a manufacturers error from the begining, IE an out of spec. chamber.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4466 Times on 2356 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
It was probably a manufacturers error from the begining, IE an out of spec. chamber.
nah its what happens with lacquer/poly cases. had it happen a few years back before i started loading my own 5.56. had a m16a1 barrel on my colt sp1 shooting wolf. then fired some brass case got one stuck so hard it ripped the rim off. i had to use a hammer and cleaning rod to get it out.

just dont mix brass and lacquer/poly and dont rely on lacquer/poly for ohsht stockpiles.

this happens with ak47 and sks and mini30/14 too its not just a ar issue. mixing case types is a no-no. you just dont see it much in 7.62x39 since there is almost no brass cased ammo out there for em. my best bud back in tejas his ak would jam up like that running brass pmc 7.62 ammo after the ruskie cheap stuff. had to get a piece of wood and a hammer to pull the bolt back.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-22-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #6

Liked 729 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 698

I don't know about others but no issues in my two ARs (chrome lined chambers) mixing up brass and steelcase. Doesn't matter which goes first. And I don't buy it that polymer depsoits are left in the chamber, no evidence of that in mine.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nothing with a steel case touches any of my guns....period.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I shoot tons of Wolf in my ARs. I had a couple of stuck cases after getting them REALLY hot and allowing them to cool down with a round in the chamber.

Now after I run them hard, I eject the round from the chamber and let the rifle cool with an empty chamber. No more stuck cases.

Wolf in my AKs has never been a problem. I don't use it in anything else.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Nothing with a steel case touches any of my guns....period.
Why's that?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I don't know about others but no issues in my two ARs (chrome lined chambers) mixing up brass and steelcase. Doesn't matter which goes first. And I don't buy it that polymer depsoits are left in the chamber, no evidence of that in mine.
I was shooting brass 100+ rounds swiched to Herters Steel Cased shot 100+ rounds then went back to brass with no issues. That was in my Delton w/ non-chrome .556 chamber. It will put out a good group once in a while w/ steel cased also. Some rifles just dont like it I guess, but mine sure do. As for not forming to the chamber my brass comes out dirty in my .556 chamber ARs but clean as a whistle in my .223 bolt rifle.