Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   lacquer coating versus polymer coating (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lacquer-coating-versus-polymer-coating-22897/)

rangeshooter 02-01-2010 08:55 PM

lacquer coating versus polymer coating
 
Bought a thousand round box of Wolf to try in our DPMS ARs. DPMS recommends no lacquer coating but says nothing about the newer polymer coating process. A good source on the internet says that "all ammo produced by Wolf is now polymer coated which solves the problems of the coating melting and sticking to the chamber/bore". The gunsmith at Gander Mtn does not recommend "cheap foreign-made" ammo, but in the same breath said that polymer coating will work ok for me. He recommends a very good cleaning after using cheap ammo. Anyone use Wolf in their DPMS AR.

willfully armed 02-01-2010 09:10 PM

the problem is that steel cazsings dont fire-form to chamber size, therefore hot combustion gasses blow-by into the chamber. this fouling heats the polymer or laquer and leaves deposits in the chamber.

The only time you should experience a problem is when running brass after Wolf. The brass will fire-form and expand to the chamber dimensions, thereby being jammed into the chamber by the deposits on the chamber walls.



Doesnt matter if its a DPMS or a Noveske.

I prefer Wolf 62gr in my RRA. cheap, and performs well for me.

skydiverMN 02-22-2011 04:58 AM

My DPMS M4 needed to be sent back for a 'warranty repair' despite it was me that decided to run cheap lacquer coated ammo through it. I've had misfires, and damaged casings, but this malfunction was impossible to remove. No matter what I tried, this thing was stuck. I have to admit, DPMS didn't have to do a thing for me and they helped me out for no charge. That's good customer service! I haven't run anything but brass cased ammo since then and there have been zero issues.

mjkeat 02-22-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydiverMN (Post 450892)
My DPMS M4 needed to be sent back for a 'warranty repair' despite it was me that decided to run cheap lacquer coated ammo through it. I've had misfires, and damaged casings, but this malfunction was impossible to remove. No matter what I tried, this thing was stuck. I have to admit, DPMS didn't have to do a thing for me and they helped me out for no charge. That's good customer service! I haven't run anything but brass cased ammo since then and there have been zero issues.

It was probably a manufacturers error from the begining, IE an out of spec. chamber.

JonM 02-22-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 451104)
It was probably a manufacturers error from the begining, IE an out of spec. chamber.

nah its what happens with lacquer/poly cases. had it happen a few years back before i started loading my own 5.56. had a m16a1 barrel on my colt sp1 shooting wolf. then fired some brass case got one stuck so hard it ripped the rim off. i had to use a hammer and cleaning rod to get it out.

just dont mix brass and lacquer/poly and dont rely on lacquer/poly for ohsht stockpiles.

this happens with ak47 and sks and mini30/14 too its not just a ar issue. mixing case types is a no-no. you just dont see it much in 7.62x39 since there is almost no brass cased ammo out there for em. my best bud back in tejas his ak would jam up like that running brass pmc 7.62 ammo after the ruskie cheap stuff. had to get a piece of wood and a hammer to pull the bolt back.

Quentin 02-23-2011 02:29 AM

I don't know about others but no issues in my two ARs (chrome lined chambers) mixing up brass and steelcase. Doesn't matter which goes first. And I don't buy it that polymer depsoits are left in the chamber, no evidence of that in mine.

spittinfire 02-23-2011 02:34 AM

Nothing with a steel case touches any of my guns....period.

M14sRock 02-23-2011 03:16 AM

I shoot tons of Wolf in my ARs. I had a couple of stuck cases after getting them REALLY hot and allowing them to cool down with a round in the chamber.

Now after I run them hard, I eject the round from the chamber and let the rifle cool with an empty chamber. No more stuck cases.

Wolf in my AKs has never been a problem. I don't use it in anything else.

mjkeat 02-23-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 451512)
Nothing with a steel case touches any of my guns....period.

Why's that?

MrMilspecer 02-23-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 451504)
I don't know about others but no issues in my two ARs (chrome lined chambers) mixing up brass and steelcase. Doesn't matter which goes first. And I don't buy it that polymer depsoits are left in the chamber, no evidence of that in mine.

I was shooting brass 100+ rounds swiched to Herters Steel Cased shot 100+ rounds then went back to brass with no issues. That was in my Delton w/ non-chrome .556 chamber. It will put out a good group once in a while w/ steel cased also. Some rifles just dont like it I guess, but mine sure do. As for not forming to the chamber my brass comes out dirty in my .556 chamber ARs but clean as a whistle in my .223 bolt rifle.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.