knife for gun bag? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > knife for gun bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
lol, you also reminded me of an old superstition. It is bad luck to give/receive a knife as a gift. You must get something in return for it. A penny is usually good enough.
And anytime you loan a knife to someone, whether the blade be open or closed, you should get it back the same way you gave it.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you can afford it, get a MICROTECH.

Microtech Knives

microtech_troodon_138-3_black_full_serr.jpg

^ My MICROTECH Combat Troodon;
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Combat-Troodon--4219

My EDC's;

kershaw-shallot-1840st.jpg

^ Kershaw Shallot Modified Drop Point Spring Assist Knife (Bead Blast SER) 1840ST http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Shallot-Modified--2439

boker-kalashnikov-desert-ser-01kals74des.jpg

^ Boker Kalashnikov Automatic Knife Desert Sand Handle (3.3" Serr) KALS74DES http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--423

dscn0471.jpg

cimg0960-1.jpg

^ Spyderco Civilian G-10 Karambit Folding Knife (4.125" Satin Serr) C12GS BAD AZZ! http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spyderco-Civilian--748

My favorite hand made;

49-ivory-caper-c.jpg

^ Dan Thornburg Ivory Caper

45-buckeye-burl-hunter-d.jpg

^ Dan Thornburg Hunter

Take a look at Dan's knives, if you are looking for a carbon steel working knife, look no further!

If pretty, factory production, cookie-cutter, shiny knives are your style, don't bother.

Dan is one of those "once in a life-time", stumble upon artisans you will NEVER forget phone number! This is a vendor. Buy with confidence. I'll back this guy, he delivers!

Dan Thornburg Knives

2v-005.jpg

2v-010.jpg

^ Randy Porter Obsidian

I'd like to introduce you to Randy Porter

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #13
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBofAZ View Post
Being new to the AR family (still waiting to get it but it is purchased) I decided I wanted to through a knife in my bag (5.11 tactical 36in case) for general purpose uses. I wanted to know is that normal does anyone put knives in there gun bags... am I being weird anyways this is what I came up with it looks to me like it would compliment an ar rather well

Benchmade striker

Attachment 72469
I guess my question is why would you care what someone else thinks about you having a knife in your gun bag

Much better to be over prepared than under prepared!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
I usually have an hunting knife in my range bag along with a leatherman. And the one in my pocket
Fantastic someone that agrees one for the range bag at least I'm not alone lol

Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post

I guess my question is why would you care what someone else thinks about you having a knife in your gun bag

Much better to be over prepared than under prepared!
Less that than if someone had a better alternative.... I actually think I may have skipped over the idea of a range bag I guess I assumed my rifle case was the same as a range bag I think it's clicking that I should possibly have a second bag oops I guess that's a noob move

Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #16

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBofAZ

Less that than if someone had a better alternative.... I actually think I may have skipped over the idea of a range bag I guess I assumed my rifle case was the same as a range bag I think it's clicking that I should possibly have a second bag oops I guess that's a noob move
Now that you mention it, I think there is one in one of the mag pouches of my rifle cases too

Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #17

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBofAZ View Post
Oh, for sure!! You definitely need a range bag. Unless you're one of those lucky ones that can just shoot straight from the trunk or bed of your car/truck.

You need something to carry:
Safety Glasses
Hearing pro
ammo
parts
tools
magazines (the reading kind AND the bullet holding kind, never know what kind of wait you may have for whatever reason. You could end up on the can somewhere, you just never know.)
snacks
drinks
gloves
maybe an extra pair of socks (not being sarcastic, you really just NEVER KNOW)
and cleaning gear, including rags and lube, unless you plan ahead to go straight home and clean after shooting. Amazingly, cleaning gear is one of the most essential items that I wouldn't say is a "must have" for an informal range session. Although, if you plan on dumping a lot of ammo, or are going into a competition, you really, REALLY, want some cleaning gear in your bag.

I'm sure there's a lot of variation, but this is what I keep in mine.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
See, I worry about that, because I'm thinking they've moved some of their production to China too. Have you noticed a Case xx costs about half as much as it did ten years ago? How did they suddenly get the cost down? And it's not like they're going to advertise, "Now cheaply made in China!!", so what gives?
still made in the USA! i just looked at mine that i bought last year to check and see if it was, and it is still made here.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #19

Quote:

Oh, for sure!! You definitely need a range bag. Unless you're one of those lucky ones that can just shoot straight from the trunk or bed of your car/truck.

and cleaning gear, including rags and lube, unless you plan ahead to go straight home and clean after shooting.
I appreciate the help i really do. I do(95% of the time) go straight home and break down and clean the guns but, besides pistols and a 10/22, I don't own any magazine fed guns my normal trip includes the 7mm and the savage 338 so cleaning is a breeze. Do you have any recommendations for the tool situation? Again sorry I sound so new but id rather ask now then figure it out the hard way you know

Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
And anytime you loan a knife to someone, whether the blade be open or closed, you should get it back the same way you gave it.
lol, we do that too.

Quote:

You need something to carry:
Safety Glasses
Hearing pro
ammo
parts
tools
magazines (the reading kind AND the bullet holding kind, never know what kind of wait you may have for whatever reason. You could end up on the can somewhere, you just never know.)
snacks
drinks
gloves
maybe an extra pair of socks (not being sarcastic, you really just NEVER KNOW)
and cleaning gear, including rags and lube, unless you plan ahead to go straight home and clean after shooting. Amazingly, cleaning gear is one of the most essential items that I wouldn't say is a "must have" for an informal range session. Although, if you plan on dumping a lot of ammo, or are going into a competition, you really, REALLY, want some cleaning gear in your bag.

I'm sure there's a lot of variation, but this is what I keep in mine.
Yep, a range back is extremely handy. I use a backpack (the same kind you probably used in the Marines trip). It's extremely durable, and is big enough to carry all my stuff.