knife for gun bag?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > knife for gun bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Default knife for gun bag?

Being new to the AR family (still waiting to get it but it is purchased) I decided I wanted to through a knife in my bag (5.11 tactical 36in case) for general purpose uses. I wanted to know is that normal does anyone put knives in there gun bags... am I being weird anyways this is what I came up with it looks to me like it would compliment an ar rather well

Benchmade striker

forumrunner_20121201_191416.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Never hurts to have a knife.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #3

That was my thought

Old 12-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Um...
It's a great idea. To have a knife. Is there not one in your pocket? Not trying to piss in your cheerios, but that would be my first thought. I usually have two on me. Even my boy carries one when he's not in school.

If you don't normally carry one in your pocket, then YES!! Keep one easily accessible somewhere. Anywhere. Glove box, rifle case, camera case, anywhere.

A cutting tool is essential to a man's daily life.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #5

No cheerios to piss in here its all good I do sometimes carry one but not always. I was wondering if it was weird and I guess the answer is yes its odd I should already have one on me

Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #6

It's odd as hell to me. But I understand that not everyone carries a knife on them. I'm not one of those tacticool "always gotta have a good combat knife, capable of cutting through hardened steel and crackheads" kind of guy. I carry a three blade Uncle Henry stockman, a small one. My grandfather gave it to me for my 16th birthday. And my "work" knife is a Gerber paraframe mini that I keep clipped in my back pocket. Little 2" blade, perfect for pulling lead gaskets off of Cl2 fittings, and less than ten bucks, not a biggie if I snap it clean in half.

My son carries a cheap swiss army knife knockoff, the little one, with a small blade, nail file, toothpick and tweezers. I'll be getting him a proper gentlemen's pocket knife, most likely for Christmas. I'm thinking a trapper or a stockman like mine. Antique of course. Even Old Timer is made in China these days. Still a good knife, but they're cheaped down. Thinner blades, cheaper/lighter handle slabs.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It's odd as hell to me. But I understand that not everyone carries a knife on them. I'm not one of those tacticool "always gotta have a good combat knife, capable of cutting through hardened steel and crackheads" kind of guy. I carry a three blade Uncle Henry stockman, a small one. My grandfather gave it to me for my 16th birthday. And my "work" knife is a Gerber paraframe mini that I keep clipped in my back pocket. Little 2" blade, perfect for pulling lead gaskets off of Cl2 fittings, and less than ten bucks, not a biggie if I snap it clean in half.

My son carries a cheap swiss army knife knockoff, the little one, with a small blade, nail file, toothpick and tweezers. I'll be getting him a proper gentlemen's pocket knife, most likely for Christmas. I'm thinking a trapper or a stockman like mine. Antique of course. Even Old Timer is made in China these days. Still a good knife, but they're cheaped down. Thinner blades, cheaper/lighter handle slabs.
Trip, maybe a Case Sodbuster Jr. to me it's one of the handiest pocketknives ever and Case has made them for many years and at most places they usually run about $20 or less.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Trip, maybe a Case Sodbuster Jr. to me it's one of the handiest pocketknives ever and Case has made them for many years and at most places they usually run about $20 or less.
See, I worry about that, because I'm thinking they've moved some of their production to China too. Have you noticed a Case xx costs about half as much as it did ten years ago? How did they suddenly get the cost down? And it's not like they're going to advertise, "Now cheaply made in China!!", so what gives?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I carry a Moore Maker trapper, and it was made right here in Texas. It's a great knife, and I love it

Here's their site.

http://catalog.mooremaker.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=29383

You can actually find their knives cheaper on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=moore+maker+trapper &_nkwusc=moor+maker+trapper&_rdc=1

lol, you also reminded me of an old superstition. It is bad luck to give/receive a knife as a gift. You must get something in return for it. A penny is usually good enough.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-02-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #10

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I usually have an hunting knife in my range bag along with a leatherman. And the one in my pocket