Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   knife for gun bag? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/knife-gun-bag-77511/)

MikeBofAZ 12-02-2012 01:14 AM

knife for gun bag?

1 Attachment(s)
Being new to the AR family (still waiting to get it but it is purchased) I decided I wanted to through a knife in my bag (5.11 tactical 36in case) for general purpose uses. I wanted to know is that normal does anyone put knives in there gun bags... am I being weird anyways this is what I came up with it looks to me like it would compliment an ar rather well

Benchmade striker

Attachment 72469

mountainman13 12-02-2012 01:50 AM

Never hurts to have a knife.

MikeBofAZ 12-02-2012 01:53 AM

That was my thought

trip286 12-02-2012 01:54 AM

Um...
It's a great idea. To have a knife. Is there not one in your pocket? Not trying to piss in your cheerios, but that would be my first thought. I usually have two on me. Even my boy carries one when he's not in school.

If you don't normally carry one in your pocket, then YES!! Keep one easily accessible somewhere. Anywhere. Glove box, rifle case, camera case, anywhere.

A cutting tool is essential to a man's daily life.

MikeBofAZ 12-02-2012 02:08 AM

No cheerios to piss in here its all good I do sometimes carry one but not always. I was wondering if it was weird and I guess the answer is yes its odd I should already have one on me

trip286 12-02-2012 02:28 AM

It's odd as hell to me. But I understand that not everyone carries a knife on them. I'm not one of those tacticool "always gotta have a good combat knife, capable of cutting through hardened steel and crackheads" kind of guy. I carry a three blade Uncle Henry stockman, a small one. My grandfather gave it to me for my 16th birthday. And my "work" knife is a Gerber paraframe mini that I keep clipped in my back pocket. Little 2" blade, perfect for pulling lead gaskets off of Cl2 fittings, and less than ten bucks, not a biggie if I snap it clean in half.

My son carries a cheap swiss army knife knockoff, the little one, with a small blade, nail file, toothpick and tweezers. I'll be getting him a proper gentlemen's pocket knife, most likely for Christmas. I'm thinking a trapper or a stockman like mine. Antique of course. Even Old Timer is made in China these days. Still a good knife, but they're cheaped down. Thinner blades, cheaper/lighter handle slabs.

Axxe55 12-02-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1035288)
It's odd as hell to me. But I understand that not everyone carries a knife on them. I'm not one of those tacticool "always gotta have a good combat knife, capable of cutting through hardened steel and crackheads" kind of guy. I carry a three blade Uncle Henry stockman, a small one. My grandfather gave it to me for my 16th birthday. And my "work" knife is a Gerber paraframe mini that I keep clipped in my back pocket. Little 2" blade, perfect for pulling lead gaskets off of Cl2 fittings, and less than ten bucks, not a biggie if I snap it clean in half.

My son carries a cheap swiss army knife knockoff, the little one, with a small blade, nail file, toothpick and tweezers. I'll be getting him a proper gentlemen's pocket knife, most likely for Christmas. I'm thinking a trapper or a stockman like mine. Antique of course. Even Old Timer is made in China these days. Still a good knife, but they're cheaped down. Thinner blades, cheaper/lighter handle slabs.

Trip, maybe a Case Sodbuster Jr. to me it's one of the handiest pocketknives ever and Case has made them for many years and at most places they usually run about $20 or less.

trip286 12-02-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1035302)
Trip, maybe a Case Sodbuster Jr. to me it's one of the handiest pocketknives ever and Case has made them for many years and at most places they usually run about $20 or less.

See, I worry about that, because I'm thinking they've moved some of their production to China too. Have you noticed a Case xx costs about half as much as it did ten years ago? How did they suddenly get the cost down? And it's not like they're going to advertise, "Now cheaply made in China!!", so what gives?

texaswoodworker 12-02-2012 03:18 AM

I carry a Moore Maker trapper, and it was made right here in Texas. It's a great knife, and I love it :D

Here's their site.

http://catalog.mooremaker.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=29383

You can actually find their knives cheaper on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=moore+maker+trapper &_nkwusc=moor+maker+trapper&_rdc=1

lol, you also reminded me of an old superstition. It is bad luck to give/receive a knife as a gift. You must get something in return for it. A penny is usually good enough. ;)

magnumman 12-02-2012 03:40 AM

I usually have an hunting knife in my range bag along with a leatherman. And the one in my pocket