KeyMod system...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > KeyMod system...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default KeyMod system...

I figured we could start a thread on the new key mod system..

this can be an ongoing thread to not only discuss advantages/disadvantages but to introduce new accessories that come out for this new system...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #2

but to be honest....i don't know much about it

so please chime in on what you know about it...

what the heck is the big deal?

from what I've read, the real benefit is that its lightweight...how much lighter?

I've heard its not as strong as a traditional tri rail...

is that really what the big hype is about?
is that its lightweight and that its easy to mount stuff to?
because from what I'm reading most people are just attaching small picatinny rails to it and manufacturers are slowly making accessories that mount directly to the KeyMod system..

Old 06-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Lightweight and slim. Shaving unneccesary weight is a good thing.

There is also magpul mlok system which is pretty much a hybrid of picatinny and keymod. You dont lose as much weight and its not as slim as keymod. Magpul says an advantage to mlok is you reverse the rail sections. Not sure exactly why you would pop an optic light laser bypod off then turn turn it around backwards. So reversable is kind of a dubious "advantage"

Keymod you dont really need to add grip panels since the keymod surfaces have shallow indentions for a positive grip. Mlok you will need panels adding more weight and size to get a positive grip.

Picatinny has the cheeser grater effect.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-16-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

i would just hate for it to end up being a fad that dies after a few years…
every rifle i build/buy i plan on owning for a longggggg time.
id hate to look back 10 years from now and regret buying into a fad. and possibly not being able to find accessories for it ya know?
like, if they eventually stop making the picatinny rail attachments (and other accessories) for it, then it'll be darn near useless…

but it seems that all the big names are starting to adopt it, so who knows? maybe it'll be the next big thing…
hmmmmmm.

i might just stick the a standard quad rail. the weight of it doesn't bother me much

Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
i would just hate for it to end up being a fad that dies after a few years…
every rifle i build/buy i plan on owning for a longggggg time.
id hate to look back 10 years from now and regret buying into a fad. and possibly not being able to find accessories for it ya know?
like, if they eventually stop making the picatinny rail attachments (and other accessories) for it, then it'll be darn near useless…

but it seems that all the big names are starting to adopt it, so who knows? maybe it'll be the next big thing…
hmmmmmm.

i might just stick the a standard quad rail. the weight of it doesn't bother me much
im going to be doing a keymod vs picatinny rail writeup soon. ive got the midwest industries rail extension in picatinny and will be getting the exact same thing in keymod very soon.

picatinny i think is whats going to become harder to find in a rail design as time creeps on. both keymod and mlok are open source so i dont think they are going anywhere.

anyway if your interested wait for my write up in a few weeks. ill have lots of good info on the keymod system.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
im going to be doing a keymod vs picatinny rail writeup soon. ive got the midwest industries rail extension in picatinny and will be getting the exact same thing in keymod very soon.

picatinny i think is whats going to become harder to find in a rail design as time creeps on. both keymod and mlok are open source so i dont think they are going anywhere.

anyway if your interested wait for my write up in a few weeks. ill have lots of good info on the keymod system.

Awesome.
I'm really looking forward to that write up.
Will it just be a new thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Awesome.
I'm really looking forward to that write up.
Will it just be a new thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Yes im going to submit it to thd boss as an article

Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1332 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yes im going to submit it to thd boss as an article

Sounds great .....