Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Just inherited an AR, help me identify it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just inherited an AR, help me identify it

I just inherited an AR-15 from my grandfather. I dont know much about the gun. Here is what i have:

Model: SP1
Serial#: SP128064
It has a rifle stock, triangle handgaurd and the carry handle upper.

I would like to know what year it is?
Is it pre or post ban?
How do i tell if it is a carbine or rifle?

Thanks for any help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Like this?

Its a Colt SP1, I don't know what year it was built, try proofhouse.com

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 03-01-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX4utah View Post
I just inherited an AR-15 from my grandfather. I dont know much about the gun. Here is what i have:

Model: SP1
Serial#: SP128064
It has a rifle stock, triangle handgaurd and the carry handle upper.

I would like to know what year it is?
Is it pre or post ban?
How do i tell if it is a carbine or rifle?

Thanks for any help!
a pic would help.

however most SP1 run from 1000-1500 depending on condition. with original box papers and all accessories they can run up to 2500$ for the ones shipped with the real made in japan colt scope.

if its pretty beat on then its not worth nearly as much condition is everything for collector guns.

if it has long triangle handguards like the pic above its a rifle. the carbines have round short handguards and are fairly rare as colt was phasing out sp1s in favour of the sporter series. there were few sp1 carbines and they run a collector premium.

all sp1 are pre-ban which is an irrelevent designation today as that unamerican ban is gone.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #5

Likes Given: 2

Hey another Utard Welcome!
Pic's are always nice.
I found this on another forum I'm on, From a guy in the know.

Quote:
I have a very low 6 digit SP1 that I purchased new in 1984.
Hope that helps, Again Welcome

Old 03-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Doing a quick google search of the serial number it appears to be a pre-ban sporter model from 1980 according to the civilian model guide at Retro Black Rifle www.retroblackrifle.com

And welcome to the forum, stop by the introductions section and introduce yourself when you get a chance,

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #7

Thanks for all the fast replys fellas! My gun looks just like the picture posted. So it is a rifle length. It is in very nice shape. I have no plans to sell the gun. I would like to start adding some things to it. First i would like a collapsable stock and an accessory rail handguard. Will most AR accessories fit this model?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX4utah View Post
Thanks for all the fast replys fellas! My gun looks just like the picture posted. So it is a rifle length. It is in very nice shape. I have no plans to sell the gun. I would like to start adding some things to it. First i would like a collapsable stock and an accessory rail handguard. Will most AR accessories fit this model?
Why? You have an original Colt A1 style AR...if it's in decent shape it's worth more than it will ever be if you start tearing it apart and hanging "new" parts on it...kills the retro look. Just my .02 but if you want a shooter with a newer look to it start fresh and build one to suit your needs.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with Jpyle!! To tear the one you have apart and "Modernize" it would ruin the collector value.

Builds have been done recently by members here for less than $750! Just something to think about!

Kinda like saying, "I just inherited a classic 1968 Shelby GT 350 Mustang in great condition. I can't wait to put flared fenders, spinners and a hydraulic lift kit on it!"

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

One more vote for "Leave it alone". The SP1's are excellent rifles that shoot very well.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."