Just got an AR-15 and I screwed up

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Just got an AR-15 and I screwed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just got an AR-15 and I screwed up

This is my first AR-15 and I had never even shot or held one before. Anyways, the manual said to clean before shooting. The instructions were pretty extensive so I thought I would be fine.

I had no problem taking it apart.

I think I have identified my problem in reassembly. I put the bolt carrier in backwards. I feel stupid.....and I don't know how I can get the rifle apart. The bolt is stuck in the butt and the rifle will not come apart.

Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Although, surprisingly, I have never done this I would; 1st. squirt a bunch of earl in the receiver, 2nd. get a wooden dowel that will easily fit down the barrel, 3rd. gently, I mean gently tap on the end of the dowel to unstuck the bolt. If it comes out inspect for damage and if it doesn't come out, see a gun smith. Do not try to force the bolt out. Hunter Joe

Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgunit View Post
The bolt is stuck in the butt and the rifle will not come apart.

Any ideas?
Your bolt is stuck in the butt of the rifle? Didn't you put the Buffer and Buffer Spring back in?

Can you take a couple of pictures? I am sorry if you uploaded them already, I am on a work computer and can't see hosted images ( like photoshack ).

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #4

I never took the buffer or buffer spring out.

I have the entire bolt carrier inside the receiver backwards. I am at work without my rifle so I can't take pictures right now (you wouldn't be able to see anything anyways because I can't get the rifle apart now, or at least I have no idea how to).

I can fix it if I can get the rifle apart again.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #5

Well, that certainly is a bit of a conundrum. I can honestly say I have not encountered this situation before. BUT, that doesn't mean there isn't a solution.

Have you tried the forward assist? Perhaps there is enough meat there for it to push forward to allow you to open the receiver? I'm guess here, I haven't actually tried it.

Do you have the folding stock? Or do you have the solid A2?

Because you could pull the stock and that would allow you to ease the bolt most of the way out and maybe rattle it free.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head....

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #6

Its the solid stock.

Wow....did I basically just ruin my brand new rifle? I guess I should have waited for someone to show me instead of looking at pictures.....unfortunately, I live in the middle of the city and wouldn't have gotten out to the country for another 3 weeks or so.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgunit View Post
Its the solid stock.

Wow....did I basically just ruin my brand new rifle? I guess I should have waited for someone to show me instead of looking at pictures.....unfortunately, I live in the middle of the city and wouldn't have gotten out to the country for another 3 weeks or so.

I douby you ruined it, unless you beat on the Bolt Carrier with a hammer to get the thing to close. You might have damaged the gas receiving tube on the top of the BCG, but that is easily replaced with a quick trip to the Brownell's webpage...

With the A2 stock, all you need is a big screwdriver to take the stock off. Watch out for the Detent Pin Spring as it's contained by the stock to the receiver.

Undo the big screw, removed the stock, undue the Buffer Tube, which should ease pressure on the BCG and you might not even have to take it all the way off.

If that doesn't work, then take the Buffer Tube all the way off and then you will be able to SEE what is holding you up.

There is the BUBBA option, and that is take a screw driver and try to pry the BCG forward through the ejection port door, but I really wouldn't recommend doing that....

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #8

So will I be able to remove the BCG through the stock? Will the charging handle not hold me up? Again, I'm at work so I can't just dig in....but in about 6 hours I will get to work and let you know how I'm doing. I'll take some pics for you to see also.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #9

I think the Charging Handle will probably get in the way, but what I am thinking is this. You obviously got the damn thing to close, which means that once the BCG was past the threads on the lower receiver, it moved backwards and that is what is stopping you from opening it.

If you remove the pressure on the Buffer, or remove it all together, you will be able to see where the hang up is, or you might even be able to pull the bolt towards you, with the Bolt Head coming through the threads in the lower receiver, and then you might be able to pull the pin just on the bolt head, then push the rest of the BCG back INTO the receiver and open it that way.

Like I said, I can't really see the problem, so I am trying to invision how it got to where it is, and how to undo it, in my minds eye - so I am kind of making this up as I go... LOL

I'm just spitballing here, trying to figure a way to release pressure without damaging your receiver, which is the most important thing...

Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #10

Just to let you know, I already know the answer as to being able to push the BCG forward into the receiver. It will not go forward at all.

Now how much trouble am I in?