Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Juggling between Arma-Lite and Daniel Defense upper (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/juggling-between-arma-lite-daniel-defense-upper-35137/)

indyfan 12-03-2010 05:47 PM

Juggling between Arma-Lite and Daniel Defense upper

Most of you know I'm building my first AR and I've already got my Spikes Tactical lower in.

Now that I'm ready to the buy the upper and I've narrowed it down to a Daniel Defense complete upper or getting the Arma-Lite M15A4 complete upper.

Now I've only fired a Bushmaster in my lifetime, so I don't have alot of experience with these two companies. So I wanted to know what you guys think of these companies?

I live in the Desert so they'll be getting dirty cause it's windy, dry and sandy over here.

Quentin 12-04-2010 12:08 AM

Well I have an ArmaLite M15A4C midlength upper with a Daniel Defense bolt carrier group. And it gets juggled back and forth between ArmaLite and S&W M&P-15 lowers. To solve that "problem" I plan to get a BCM upper or possibly DD.

I like ArmaLite but compared with DD the upper doesn't have a high pressure and MPI tested barrel and bolt. Also it has a 1:9 twist vs. the milspec 1:7 and the front sight is A2 height instead of the proper F-marked height (for A3/A4/flat tops).

The main reasons I went with ArmaLite 18 months ago was price/availability (BCM and DD were still backordered like crazy), the nostalgia of the name and 1:9 actually suits me better than 1:7 since I fire more 55gr ammo than anything else. I knew I was dipping down into Tier 2 according to the M4 Chart but that the deficiencies weren't horrible. Since I wanted to have a spare BCG on hand I upgraded to DD to solve the main issues of the upper. The ArmaLite BCG makes a more than adequate spare.

The ArmaLite upper functions perfectly with either BCG but I feel better with the milspec DD. The only real concerns were the A2 height front sight, I had to buy a Bushmaster taller sight post ($5.50) to properly zero with rear sights other than ArmaLite, DPMS or Bushmaster. This likely will be a problem if you buy a third party rear sight as they tend to be milspec height. And the HBAR barrel is fairly heavy, you can get BCM and DD in government profile or lightweight to cut off 4-8 ounces.

indyfan 12-04-2010 12:46 AM

Thanks for the reply Quentin, that helped my decision

Quentin 12-04-2010 01:57 AM

Yeah Indy, of your two choices today it makes more sense to go DD (or BCM). Nothing horribly wrong with ArmaLite but there are better choices today for not much more money. Now if 1:9 twist suits you better then give it more thought.

ETA:
BTW, I've been assuming all along you wanted 16" and midlength.

indyfan 12-04-2010 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 396713)
ETA:
BTW, I've been assuming all along you wanted 16" and midlength.

Actually 16" carbine length gas system, low profile gas block with a Daniel Defense 10.0 lite rail

still debating whether to get the lite profile barrel or the M4 barrel

mjkeat 12-04-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 396873)
Actually 16" carbine length gas system, low profile gas block with a Daniel Defense 10.0 lite rail

still debating whether to get the lite profile barrel or the M4 barrel

Why a carbine gas system?

SmartGunner.com has great prices on DD uppers.

Quentin 12-04-2010 05:17 PM

Agree with mjkeat... Why choose a carbine length gas system in 16" barrel? DD does have midlength which should be a better choice. Is it because of the rail you want, they do have midlength solutions too.

indyfan 12-04-2010 06:07 PM

I just thought the 10.0 rail covers up the low profile gas block on a carbine gas system.

I wanna have flip sights and a front sight post will be too distracting with the Eotech 522 I'm getting.

Is there a difference in accuracy or function between the Carbine length gas system and the Mid-Length gas system?

Quentin 12-04-2010 11:50 PM

Do a little reading/research and I think you'll agree the midlength is superior for 16". Now if you're going 14.5" then there's a good argument for carbine length gas.

mjkeat 12-05-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 397056)
I just thought the 10.0 rail covers up the low profile gas block on a carbine gas system.

I wanna have flip sights and a front sight post will be too distracting with the Eotech 522 I'm getting.

Is there a difference in accuracy or function between the Carbine length gas system and the Mid-Length gas system?

Do you already have a 10" rail and are wanting to use it? If you have to purchase a new rail Id suggest A VTAC or Troy Extreme. Both very very light weight and the Troy being the lighter of the two. As w/ many other things in life longer is better when it comes to rails. It allows a longer sight radious and makes it possible to get your support hand as far out as possible aiding in the overall control of your rifle. Contact Roy at http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/collections/rail-systems. He has the Troys and VTACs in stock. He also has great prices and scary fast shipping.

I have run a F marked FSB on a couple ARs w/ red dots, Aimpoints and EoTechs, and have never had a problem with being distracted by the FSB. When putting the dot on target you shuld have both eyes open and your eyes should be focused downrange. This along w/ many other pluses will do away w/ the FSB shadowing.

As far as accuracy I wouldnt say there is a difference. I must say I really like my 14.5s. My LWRC is an extrodinary rifle and its a carbine however IMO midlengths have more potential. Ive owned both and both have been fairly equal in accuracy. Many feel a carbine is harder on internal parts. Id have to agree.

If your dead set on a certain set-up and dont plan on changing it anytime in the future go 14.5 w/ perm. FH. If you change your mind often and dont see yourself purchasing a new rifle to fill your current desires go 16".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 397223)
Do a little reading/research and I think you'll agree the midlength is superior for 16". Now if you're going 14.5" then there's a good argument for carbine length gas.

Midlength all the way :D