JSE upper?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JSE upper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default JSE upper?

Im building me a new weapon. Im on a budget so im not wanting to spend more than 600 on my upper. Im wanting a gun for longer range precision. The upper im looking at is a JSE with a 1\8 twist free floated bull barrel. Does anyone have or know how these preform?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You are gonna want the best barrel you can afford. JSE is a good company to deal with, but they use cheapo components. If precision is your thing, I'd look elsewhere. Look for a name brand barrel, from a company with a good reputation

This is by no means a complete list but:

JP Enterprises
White Oaks
Krieger
Noveske
Rainier Arms Ultra Match or Match
Black Hole Weaponry
Bravo Company Manufacturing
AR Performance

Last edited by AgentTikki; 11-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 645

ER Shaw makes amazing barrels. That's what I use on every rifle I build for a customer.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Im wanting a very accurate rifle outa this build. I wanta gun that I can shoot 600yds. I wish I had more to spend on this weapon. Thanks man.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Have over 2k rounds through my JSE upper and never had a problem. Have a couple of buddies with JSE uppers as well and have shot wayyyy more then I have and theirs are holding up just fine but to each his own.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Reliability is one thing, but the OP wants a precision oriented build. DPMS SASS has a good reputation, but I've never had any persnoal experience. Rainier Arms Select stainless barrels are very reasonably priced, as are Black Hole Weaponry and AR Performance melonited barrels.

What kind of ammo are you planning on using?

What kind of accuracy are you expecting? .3 moa? Cloverleafs? 2-3 inch groups?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In a 20" Bull Barrel I have had a few over the years. The first was a DPMS 20" Bull Barrel Upper Receiver Assembly with a 20" Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel. This upper receiver shot honest 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Never did put it on paper at extended range though. The second was a DPMS 20" Bull Barrel Upper Receiver Assembly with a 20" Stainless Bull Barrel. This one didn't quite shoot up to the standards of the first one. It shot in the .5XX's at 100 yards but never exactly 1/2" or less. The last was an Olympic Arms K8 Targetmatch Upper Receiver Assembly with a 20" Stainless Bull Barrel. This one was right on par with the first DPMS Flute Barrel as 1/2" groups were the norm at 100 yards.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Larry

Old 11-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Liked 253 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I've had very good luck with Wilson varmit barrels. I used the 22" stainless 1/8 wylde on my personal build. Free float handguard and a good bolt will get you most of the way there. That said I lap the reciever faces square and spend a little more for billet uppers for varmit builds. Quality parts are needed to get this accuracy. Seekins precision is my normal choice. I use the Seekins adjustable gas block to tune for the ammo. Good handloads are required for this kind of performance. Consistent rather than Max velocity!

My rifle busts prairie rat's at 500+ regularly. Personal best was 73 straight at 400-600 by the laser last year! 715 yards longest shot by the laser. Just note my scope cost as much as the upper! Got to have the glass for long range...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-09-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
I've had very good luck with Wilson varmit barrels. I used the 22" stainless 1/8 wylde on my personal build. Free float handguard and a good bolt will get you most of the way there. That said I lap the reciever faces square and spend a little more for billet uppers for varmit builds. Quality parts are needed to get this accuracy. Seekins precision is my normal choice. I use the Seekins adjustable gas block to tune for the ammo. Good handloads are required for this kind of performance. Consistent rather than Max velocity!

My rifle busts prairie rat's at 500+ regularly. Personal best was 73 straight at 400-600 by the laser last year! 715 yards longest shot by the laser. Just note my scope cost as much as the upper! Got to have the glass for long range...
God I wish we had varmit shooting here

Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #10

Liked 253 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post

God I wish we had varmit shooting here
We don't have it back in Indiana either. I truck drive and made friends with some ranchers in TX,CO and WY. Pack the gun and plan my time off where I want to stop and enjoy myself. The ranchers are happy someone is willing to kill the pests. Win, win situation!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!