Jp Reduced power springs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Jp Reduced power springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Someone recently told me I should use some solvent on these springs to get the yellow paint off otherwise it will come off during rifle cleaning later.

So my questions are
1. Is this statement true?
And if so
2. What solvent should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help

Work Hard Play Hard

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You're cleaning such a small part, that if the Cleaner liguidifies the Paint, I wouldn't worry. You'll Oil/Grease right afterwards anyway, so no harm. These Springs are Painted to show that they're not a "stock spring". If you already know after installing and the Paint came off, what affect would it cause? If however changing back to "stock springs", then I would want to remark them with same color, to not get confused with other Springs.
Del

Sorry, got off on wrong track. I don't know what might clean paint off these Springs. It could be Acetone, Mineral Spirits. I've always left mine as they came and it never affected their function or made cleaning any messier with residue of the Paint.

Last edited by Triumphman; 12-27-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
You're cleaning such a small part, that if the Cleaner liguidifies the Paint, I wouldn't worry. You'll Oil/Grease right afterwards anyway, so no harm. These Springs are Painted to show that they're not a "stock spring". If you already know after installing and the Paint came off, what affect would it cause? If however changing back to "stock springs", then I would want to remark them with same color, to not get confused with other Springs.
Del

Sorry, got off on wrong track. I don't know what might clean paint off these Springs. It could be Acetone, Mineral Spirits. I've always left mine as they came and it never affected their function or made cleaning any messier with residue of the Paint.
I didn't think gun cleaner could take the paint off but I wasn't sure its my first time using these springs and I just didn't want yellow paint all over the inside of my receivers if it did come off but thank u for clearing that up for me appreciate it a lot.

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 12-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2623 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

I am sure the yellow paint put on by JP will cause absolutely Zero issues at all. Being the reputable company they are I assure you if it caused any issues they would not have it on there. Myself it would be of no concern. In fact I would want to leave it on for identification purposes as some have stated previously.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2300 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I agree, it's someone's fantasy. Paint-marked springs are used even in handguns in closer proximity to the barreled action. I use colored springs all the time. Never heard of that being an issue. The surest way to remove paint is acetone, but there is no need for it. Keep the springs as they are, in case you need an ID.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 66

It was me who suggested you on the other thread. I use Break Free Powder Blast, you can get them easily from Walmart.
As others said, some will leave them for identification purposes from other springs. Removing the paint or not will not do any harm at all. It is just my preference by removing ahead so the paint residue won't be all over inside my receiver.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

This should be added to the ever growing list of gun related urban legends. Your "friend" is anal retentive and should be treated as such. Don't worry about it. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? That should clear things up

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

I'm not worried about it went together fine and doesn't seem like the paint will come off I was just curious.

Donk it wasn't u who told me that it was a close friend of mine I was talking to about doing the trigger swap the last week, but I did see that u posted about it after I posted this thread.

Either way I'm thankful for all the help u guys have givin me over the last almost year it has been more then helpful and now has me owning a very well put together AR15.

Much appreciated as always.

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've been using the JP reduced power trigger springs for a few years now and have not seen any of the yellow paint come off.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:09 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 400

I've had my issue m16a1 lower during basic training filled with gravel and dirt and mud from low crawling and still functioned fine in semi and full auto, I doubt a few paint flakes will deadline an ar15...

Once it was so stuffed with mud after a live fire the hammer and sears and safety had carved channels in the gunk but it still worked

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...