JP Low Mass Carrier and Buffer?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JP Low Mass Carrier and Buffer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default JP Low Mass Carrier and Buffer?

Looking at the JP low mass carrier and buffer in a VLTOR upper with JP stainless 16" mid-length 1:8 twist barrel with the JP adjustable gas block.

Anyone use the JP low mass carrier / buffer or see any issues with the above setup?

Is there really a noticeable difference in the "felt impulse" of the rifle over regular carriers as they advertise?

I know this setup is not a SHTF battle rifle but it's not meant to be.

I appreciate your experience and insights as always...

Edit- here's a link
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7_bc.php

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 09-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I havent played with those but I have been pouring lead into my buffer , removing it and cutting it down to the proper weight that works well and reduces felt recoil . 4.0 oz works great in a carbine , 3.8 oz buffer works in my 14.7" mid length I tried the 4.0oz and it ran fine but it would not lock the bolt open on the last round. I would consider a heavier buffer and play around with that before I would spend that kind of money on a heavier carrier, it creates the same thing with a heavier buffer for about $30. Even with with just adding 1 oz over the carbine buffer weight it helped eliminate felt recoil .

Edit sorry about that I see you were talking bout the low mass carrier which is lighter . If your gun functions fine I would not mess with it #1 no F/A serrations, #2 im not sure its going to remove the felt impulse like a heavier carrier would . Your money so its up to you but its not something I would invest my money in to just try out . Yes its going to speed bolt velocity but do you really need that ?

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-27-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Purehavoc- thanks for the feedback!

It's just something I was looking at for a new build. More of a precision build with billet upper/lower. Might be used for competition if I can ever find the time LOL.

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 09-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post
Purehavoc- thanks for the feedback!

It's just something I was looking at for a new build. More of a precision build with billet upper/lower. Might be used for competition if I can ever find the time LOL.

I've got the SHTF battle rifle covered with a BCM- hammer forged barrel, FA BCG etc.
No problem , There is just so many gadgets and gizmos out there for the AR platform that are just not needed , lots of cool factor with the different stuff , colors, etc . I dont have much for gadgets , I own one laser on my SBR and basically thats it, my guns are pretty stripped down with either optics or irons , no flashlights , no bipods , I have changed out alot of handguards and finally found my favorite feel on the rainier arms HG. but Im not rushing out to get rid of all the troy handguards I have to replace them for $150 handguards either .
Always wanted a side charger upper but I felt its just another unneeded item on that cool factor list .
If your looking into precision spend your hard earned cash on a good barrel and learn to reload thats where your accuracy is going to come from . Krieger, White Oaks, Wilson all in that order , all make really accurate barrels . There not the cheapest but if your looking for accuracy they have what you need , the BCG isnt going to make that much difference its main function is to feed that barrel , not much accuracy in that .

Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

LOL I guess when I say "precision" for this build I'm mostly referring to the quality and feel of the parts and how the rifle cycles. I would expect this to be more accurate than my BCM but not looking for super accurate long range or anything like that.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
LOL I guess when I say "precision" for this build I'm mostly referring to the quality and feel of the parts and how the rifle cycles. I would expect this to be more accurate than my BCM but not looking for super accurate long range or anything like that.
Gotcha, When I think precision I like to think about my bolt gun at 450+ yards . So still a battle type rifle of top quality parts then ? I would be spending my money on a trigger first , comfortable stock , grip that feels best, heavier buffer that your gun will still run with and a quality handguard that fits your needs best. Man that sh!t adds up quick that was a easy $500 right there

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Gotcha, When I think precision I like to think about my bolt gun at 450+ yards . So still a battle type rifle of top quality parts then ? I would be spending my money on a trigger first , comfortable stock , grip that feels best, heavier buffer that your gun will still run with and a quality handguard that fits your needs best. Man that sh!t adds up quick
Got the bolt gun covered also- Rem700 SPS Varmint

Yeah, high end battle rifle- light and fast with a side of accuracy.

Got a Timney 4lb trigger on the way for it. If the pull is too heavy I'll put it in the BCM and get the 3lb.

Oh yeah it adds up too quick. Wish my health insurance covered BRD!

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 09-27-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Got the bolt gun covered also- Rem700 SPS Varmint

Yeah, high end battle rifle- light and fast with a side of accuracy.

Got a Timney 4lb trigger on the way for it. If the pull is too heavy I'll put it in the BCM and get the 3lb.

Oh yeah it adds up too quick. Wish my health insurance covered BRD!
Yeah tell me about it . If its too heavy give Timney a call you can send it back in and they will take care of you more than likely for free

Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

the jp stuff works well. it does what it says but you cant really tell a diff. least i cant. ive shot a AR15 with a set installed it felt just like my M16 carriers.

for fast lock times there is like one guy that o know of on the planet that can outpace a standard m16 bolt carrier and that guy is jerry miculek(sp?). unless your faster than him you prolly wont see any practical difference other than its a pretty cool piece of gear.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the jp stuff works well. it does what it says but you cant really tell a diff. least i cant. ive shot a AR15 with a set installed it felt just like my M16 carriers.

for fast lock times there is like one guy that o know of on the planet that can outpace a standard m16 bolt carrier and that guy is jerry miculek(sp?). unless your faster than him you prolly wont see any practical difference other than its a pretty cool piece of gear.
Thanks man. I know I'm not fast enough to utilize the difference but I was hoping it might feel a little smoother. Anyway most of this build is about the "cool factor" so that weighs in here for sure.